"Be the Ball" is Horrible Advice

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most games that are interesting have so many variables you have to deal with. Pool is certainly this way. It's like a puzzle that you have to sort out. I can see how anybody could get stuck in a rut with this game simply because they didn't sort out the pieces. I suppose some would say that they weren't given all the pieces to the puzzle to begin with. I actually felt this way for a while and even gave up on the game for quite some time. Oh what I wouldn't give to get those lost years back.

I've come around now. At this point, I'm absolutely convinced the only thing that held me back from playing top flight pool was unfortunate timing and me. I got a bit of a late start compared to most truly great players and once improvement stopped happening overnight I quickly got discouraged and believed I just didn't have the natural talent for the game. I’ve now concluded that I was wrong about the natural talent, although those that have seen me play may disagree. Anyway, I finally feel like a decent player. Not great. Just decent.

So what changed my mindset?

One thing about this game that I think is true is it's very easy to get caught up in wanting to become a great player, or even wanting to run out your first rack or multiple ones; Or how about running a certain number of balls in 14.1, or more simply -- how about mastering a particular shot. All of these things are great and I certainly have these sorts of goals myself. But what I've found over the course of the past 5 or so years is all of those things are secondary goals. My ultimate goal centers around me and taking total control over my body and what it's doing. When you get down on the ball and you can feel that you are perfectly aligned from the tip of your big toe on your plant foot all the way up to your shoulder and down to your grip hand and then through the cue stick over to your bridge hand and all the way back up and down the other side of your body -- when you feel this sensation -- this being perfectly aligned and then you get down and thump a ball into the back of the pocket – this is a euphoria that you can’t hardly explain. You just have to experience it. Once you taste this that's what the game becomes about.

Up on the top of the pool playing mountain I get a sense that this is what the game is all about. I’m not to the top of the mountain yet but the closer I get the less this game becomes about the balls and the more it becomes about me and my body. The balls have no choice but to obey my commands when I have my body under total control.

As a kid I can remember everyone always quoting the “Be the ball” line from Caddyshack and at times in pool I think I would actually try to do this. You can think of the mindset I’m describing as exactly the opposite of “Being the ball”. Instead don’t worry so much about the balls and just focus on you.

For those of you that consider yourself to be a great player have you experienced this shift in focus from the balls to the body?

For those of you that have been stuck in a rut have you tried focusing solely on what you are doing at the table and not worrying so much about the balls?

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are the target.........

Your so right there..........

In all actuality you become the target on each and every pool shot.

With a gun you line up your eye with the sight and the sight while putting it on the target.

The only thing that can in this equation is the target. The eye and the 2 sights will always be in the same position.

With a pool shot it is just the opposite. The pocket stays the same, The balls stay the same. The only thing that changes is you, the target.

YOU BECOME the TARGET.

The better we can position the target starting with the preshot the better the results will be with getting everything else like the stance and stroke in the right position.

Your so right though. We cannot become the ball because we are really the target.

I've just taken getting the target to a new level.

Good thoughts there Mr Chris....and good luck. Good post......

Oh, and by the way, You can play..........you being the target is the secret.......

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...For those of you that consider yourself to be a great player have you experienced this shift in focus from the balls to the body?

For those of you that have been stuck in a rut have you tried focusing solely on what you are doing at the table and not worrying so much about the balls?

Interesting question. Personally, I NEVER advocate for focusing on the body when playing sport.
The kinesiology component already should have been learned (and "forgotten") through prepared
muscle memory and relevant spatial awareness.

The only physical components that should be focused on are the pre-shot routine—
think what a tennis player, shot putter, and rifle shooter go through right before a serve, throw, and shot, respectively.
Further, once a body's "physical setup" has been learned, any prevailing "unique" style notwithstanding,
it is best to work with that, use it, and "ignore it" so as to focus primarily on the skill—think Keith Mccready, Jim Furyk, and Jamaal Wilkes.

That said, it is best to allow the "subconscious" to work the body through the process.
The brain is very powerful as we know.

So NO, don't focus on your body.
Doing so will cause your body to just "get in the way." :eek:
I believe all the paying-attention-to-what-one-is-doing-physically is what causes performance "rut."

And as to the "be the ball" mantra? I find some value in it. It promotes a sportsperson the opportunity to become "one"
with the task at hand. To become merely an extension of the process. Another cog in the athletic wheel. This, in turn, compels one
to get "lost" in the activity. This is what they call the "zone." (think Michael Jordan). :)

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
boogeyman...I would have to disagree with you. Instead of mentioning people with extreme variation from what is considered 'standard' (for most of us), we should be instead thinking about what will work best for the masses. It certainly isn't promoting strokes like McCready (who, with his lifelong sidearm stroke, was one of the deadliest players ever!), Hopkins 2" poke, or Bustamante's elliptical swing...all world champions in their own right.

It is vital to focus on your body controlling the cuestick...as that is the ONLY thing we can control in any pool shot. Additionally, one cannot function on a 'subconscious' level until you repeatedly ingrain the movements (think PSR's) on a extremely conscious level. I would agree that once these things are fixed as a repeatable process, mental and physical, it's best to get your brain out of the way, and let you body do what the mind has trained it to...deliver the cuestick in a straightline movement through the correct aim point on the CB.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Interesting question. Personally, I NEVER advocate for focusing on the body when playing sport.
The kinesiology component already should have been learned (and "forgotten") through prepared

The only physical components that should be focused on are the pre-shot routine—
think what a tennis player, shot putter, and rifle shooter go through right before a serve, throw, and shot, respectively.
Further, once a body's "physical setup" has been learned, any prevailing "unique" style notwithstanding,
it is best work with that, use it, and "ignore it" so as to focus primarily on the skill—think Keith Mccready, Jim Furyk, and Jamaal Wilkes.

That said, it is best to allow the "subconscious" to work the body through the process.

And as to the "be the ball" mantra? I find some value in it. It promotes a sportsperson the opportunity to become "one:
with the task at hand. To become merely an extension of the process. Another cog in the athletic wheel. This, in turn, compels one
to get "lost" in the activity. This is what they call the "zone." (think Michael Jordan).

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
As a kid I can remember everyone always quoting the “Be the ball” line from Caddyshack and at times in pool I think I would actually try to do this.

Perhaps it is too late, but the movie Caddyshack was a comedy and the line "be the ball" was a joke. It is hard to imaging how foolish one would have to be to use a joke from a comedy as pool concept. But thanks for the laugh.:rotflmao1::rotflmao::killingme:

As to the remainder of your post, I suggest you buy Mark Wilsons book "Play Great Pool". It will help with your non-joke-related efforts.

Dave

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

it is best work with that, use it, and "ignore it" so as to focus primarily on the skill—think Keith Mccready, Jim Furyk, and Jamaal Wilkes.

That said, It is best to allow the "subconscious" to work the body through the process.

Interesting...

I suppose I left out the part about practice vs. competition. I certainly try to forget everything when I'm playing but when I'm actually working on something or when things aren't going well at the table it's me and not the table & balls that I focus on.

I sort of think of the guy (old me) that gets down over the cue ball and stares intently at it telling himself "this is right where I'm going to hit it." Then he stares at the object ball and thinks "there's the contact point right there and I'm going to hit it perfectly." Then -- he misses and misses and get's really frustrated and turns his attention outward in hopes that if he just focuses more closely on the hit of the cue ball and looks more closely where he's going to hit the object ball things will work out. He tries to will the balls into the pockets.

Compare that with the guy (newer me) that when things are going haywire - he calms himself down and checks his alignment; He makes sure he's stepping into the shot properly; Makes sure he's griping his cue properly, and focuses on the feel of the hit and he just soaks it all in. When this type of player misses he know why he misses. He can tell if his grip hand tensed up or he approached the shot line too quickly and his allignment was off. Overall, he undestand that he is not in control of his body when he is playing poorly.

Certainly when everything is going great and the balls are falling into the pockets it's easy to not think about much of anything but as someone who spent a lot of time trying to will balls into the pockets I've just found that it's easy to waste a lot of time and energy focusing on something that I really can't control -- the balls.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps it is too late, but the movie Caddyshack was a comedy and the line "be the ball" was a joke. It is hard to imaging how foolish one would have to be to use a joke from a comedy as pool concept. But thanks for the laugh.:rotflmao1::rotflmao::killingme:

As to the remainder of your post, I suggest you buy Mark Wilsons book "Play Great Pool". It will help with your non-joke-related efforts.

Dave

I understood it was a joke in the movie but many people have used this sort of idea in many sports in a non joking fashion.

I have the book.

Thanks for your contribution.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
almost impossible to explain to those that haven't been there

Most games that are interesting have so many variables you have to deal with. Pool is certainly this way. It's like a puzzle that you have to sort out. I can see how anybody could get stuck in a rut with this game simply because they didn't sort out the pieces. I suppose some would say that they weren't given all the pieces to the puzzle to begin with. I actually felt this way for a while and even gave up on the game for quite some time. Oh what I wouldn't give to get those lost years back.

I've come around now. At this point, I'm absolutely convinced the only thing that held me back from playing top flight pool was unfortunate timing and me. I got a bit of a late start compared to most truly great players and once improvement stopped happening overnight I quickly got discouraged and believed I just didn't have the natural talent for the game. I’ve now concluded that I was wrong about the natural talent, although those that have seen me play may disagree. Anyway, I finally feel like a decent player. Not great. Just decent.

So what changed my mindset?

One thing about this game that I think is true is it's very easy to get caught up in wanting to become a great player, or even wanting to run out your first rack or multiple ones; Or how about running a certain number of balls in 14.1, or more simply -- how about mastering a particular shot. All of these things are great and I certainly have these sorts of goals myself. But what I've found over the course of the past 5 or so years is all of those things are secondary goals. My ultimate goal centers around me and taking total control over my body and what it's doing. When you get down on the ball and you can feel that you are perfectly aligned from the tip of your big toe on your plant foot all the way up to your shoulder and down to your grip hand and then through the cue stick over to your bridge hand and all the way back up and down the other side of your body -- when you feel this sensation -- this being perfectly aligned and then you get down and thump a ball into the back of the pocket – this is a euphoria that you can’t hardly explain. You just have to experience it. Once you taste this that's what the game becomes about.

Get in your car today and try to drive. Focus on driving exactly the speed limit. Stay exactly two feet from the centerline. Watch for pot holes and debris on the road and carefully steer around each one leaving your designated path for as little a time as possible. Signal at exactly the proper distance from each turn. Carefully maintain that line through every slight curve. Dang! Driving is hard isn't it? We don't focus on all of those things plus watching the center of the lane to read how big bumps or dips are by looking at the amount of oil dropped behind them, we just do these things.

The way to shoot a pistol fast, shoot a benchrest rifle slowly, drive a stock car, or play pool is to be so familiar with the nuts and bolts of doing the activity that we forget about them. Shooting the pistol fast, before the run I decide how I will place the bullets where I want them. During the run I am just executing, any thought slows me down and interferes with accuracy. Shooting the rifle I am best when I am dancing with the wind. The windflags change, I don't calculate that is a certain percentage change, I shift my aim slightly to compensate or hold my fire. Driving the stock car I don't think about the pattern I am running or traffic, I settle into the groove the car wants to run in and I observe traffic well in advance so I flow through it instead of running up behind another car at an awkward moment and disturbing flow.

The real trick to shooting pool well is quiet hands. Quiet body too. All of this flows from a quiet mind. The mind does it's part before you start a run, then that loudly yapping part of your mind that communicates in words needs to shut the hell up and get out of the way! It isn't asleep or dormant, it is lurking in a corner. If something unexpected happens or a minor mistake is made it will jump into action, if needed.

Perhaps what we need is enough knowledge and experience to trust ourselves to do the right thing and the confidence to let ourselves do it. Once we let ourselves execute unhindered magic is in the air. This may be what you were saying, just another way of putting it. Trying to explain where you are at during a free flowing performance to someone that hasn't experienced it is almost as tough as explaining colors to a blind person who has always been blind.

Incidentally, I was perhaps the least naturally gifted pool player I ever saw. Known as clumsy as a child and not the epitome of grace as an adult. I still reached a level to command respect doing everything I competed at, because I know how to compete or perform a function. Working on bringing the same skills to traditional wood turning now. Not there yet but I'm still mastering the skill set. When I do I'm sure I will turn the hands and body loose to accomplish what I desire rather than standing over them trying to force them to do my bidding.

Hu

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
boogeyman...I would have to disagree with you. Instead of mentioning people with extreme variation from what is considered 'standard' (for most of us), we should be instead thinking about what will work best for the masses. It certainly isn't promoting strokes like McCready (who, with his lifelong sidearm stroke, was one of the deadliest players ever!), Hopkins 2" poke, or Bustamante's elliptical swing...all world champions in their own right.

It is vital to focus on your body controlling the cuestick...as that is the ONLY thing we can control in any pool shot. Additionally, one cannot function on a 'subconscious' level until you repeatedly ingrain the movements (think PSR's) on a extremely conscious level. I would agree that once these things are fixed as a repeatable process, mental and physical, it's best to get your brain out of the way, and let you body do what the mind has trained it to...deliver the cuestick in a straightline movement through the correct aim point on the CB.

Scott Lee

Thanks, Scott.
I always look forward to your comments.

But please understand, my mentioning of players with extreme variations was merely incidental.
It was a complete aside, only added to avoid a generality.
It was by no means the crux of my comment.

It's unfortunate that you focused on that one non-essential, dependent clause and used it to disagree with me. :cool:

And do remember, my overall reply was one based on a player of consequence—that's what the OP presented as the preface. :)
So in light of that and your own comment, I do agree only with your second paragraph.

Last edited:

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get in your car today and try to drive. Focus on driving exactly the speed limit. Stay exactly two feet from the centerline. Watch for pot holes and debris on the road and carefully steer around each one leaving your designated path for as little a time as possible. Signal at exactly the proper distance from each turn. Carefully maintain that line through every slight curve. Dang! Driving is hard isn't it? We don't focus on all of those things plus watching the center of the lane to read how big bumps or dips are by looking at the amount of oil dropped behind them, we just do these things.

The way to shoot a pistol fast, shoot a benchrest rifle slowly, drive a stock car, or play pool is to be so familiar with the nuts and bolts of doing the activity that we forget about them. Shooting the pistol fast, before the run I decide how I will place the bullets where I want them. During the run I am just executing, any thought slows me down and interferes with accuracy. Shooting the rifle I am best when I am dancing with the wind. The windflags change, I don't calculate that is a certain percentage change, I shift my aim slightly to compensate or hold my fire. Driving the stock car I don't think about the pattern I am running or traffic, I settle into the groove the car wants to run in and I observe traffic well in advance so I flow through it instead of running up behind another car at an awkward moment and disturbing flow.

The real trick to shooting pool well is quiet hands. Quiet body too. All of this flows from a quiet mind. The mind does it's part before you start a run, then that loudly yapping part of your mind that communicates in words needs to shut the hell up and get out of the way! It isn't asleep or dormant, it is lurking in a corner. If something unexpected happens or a minor mistake is made it will jump into action, if needed.

Perhaps what we need is enough knowledge and experience to trust ourselves to do the right thing and the confidence to let ourselves do it. Once we let ourselves execute unhindered magic is in the air. This may be what you were saying, just another way of putting it. Trying to explain where you are at during a free flowing performance to someone that hasn't experienced it is almost as tough as explaining colors to a blind person who has always been blind.

Incidentally, I was perhaps the least naturally gifted pool player I ever saw. Known as clumsy as a child and not the epitome of grace as an adult. I still reached a level to command respect doing everything I competed at, because I know how to compete or perform a function. Working on bringing the same skills to traditional wood turning now. Not there yet but I'm still mastering the skill set. When I do I'm sure I will turn the hands and body loose to accomplish what I desire rather than standing over them trying to force them to do my bidding.

Hu

This. To be honest I don't remember the majority of racks I have run. My mind goes blank and I just make balls and get position. Quiet mind, quiet body.

I used to play soccer very seriously. I order to compete past a certain level you don't think about correct technique you just act. If you stopped to think about how to shoot the soccer ball you probably will lose the opportunity.

The problem is that pool is a very slow sport and because of that it is harder to quiet the mind since it has so much more time to mess with you. That's why mental strength may be the most important aspect of a pro player. I've always been of the mindset that pool is not something you are born with the ability for. It takes many hours of correct practice to play well and it takes a level of single minded dedication that many people do not possess or simply cannot afford to devote to the sport.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
.....Not there yet but I'm still mastering the skill set. When I do I'm sure I will turn the hands and body loose to accomplish what I desire rather than standing over them trying to force them to do my bidding.

Hu

Excellent way to state "let it happen."

Mr Nobody

Banned
It takes many hours of practice should be on 100 lb bags of fertilizer !!! If you want to play good pool , you have to PLAY , not practice . Go to the drive in window at Wendy's and see if they'll accept practice . Nope , just cash . You have to play the best players !!! Remember , it's the spankings that make your ass tough . Bet something ( a little or a lot ) , that way it matters if you win or lose . Most people who hack at golf , or bang the balls in pool are stuck on the wrong side of the ball , oh my swing , my clubs , oh my stroke , my cue ... the game is on the other side of the ball , the SHOT !!! PLAY the GAME . Play with what god gave ya ! Don't worry about anybody else, have fun or go home !!! Don't be afraid to lose , be gung ho about competing . I've watched some of the top women playing in the men's events , they are" trying their hearts out to WIN" . That's the magic stuff , you got it or you don't . Being the ball ??? It is a joke ...:wink:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...and the heart of what Hu said was that the body had to somehow become "trained" to the point of "unconscious competence"...which only happens with conscious repetition of a learned process (whether you are completely or only partially aware of it). This is the essence of my post to you. Btw, it's completely okay to disagree, when we can keep a civil attitude between the respondents. :grin:

Scott Lee

Excellent way to state "let it happen."

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[...]
And as to the "be the ball" mantra? I find some value in it. It promotes a sportsperson the opportunity to become "one"
to get "lost" in the activity. This is what they call the "zone." (think Michael Jordan). :)

boogeyman,
(just wrote this long response to your post and lost the whole thing)

I had to reread your first post in this thread just to make sure I didn't miss something. It's funny because on the one hand I totally agree with what you wrote but on the other -- it's the "becoming one with the ball" mantra that I have a hard time with.

Certainly, all of us have the goal of getting into the zone. I guess for me the question is how do I get there? For me, forgetting about the balls as much as possible and just focusing on my body gets me into the state of nothingness the fastest. It’s not the sort of focus where I’m constantly talking myself through everything it’s more so just a focus on the experience. Focusing on stepping into the shot and then focusing on the feedback my body gets when I stroke the cue. For me the balls can become a big distraction and focusing more on my body I think eliminates this.

Maybe this will explain the distinction I’m trying to make….

It seems like there are two ways to get into the zone. You can start firing the balls into the pockets and use that positive feedback to help you drift off into the zone or you focus on your body and everything it is experiencing. After a while, you drift off and wake up a bit later wondering what happened.

Call me crazy but it seems like there’s a difference. I’m interested in hearing what other good players have to say about this. This change in mindset really did help me a lot a few years back and I’ve stuck with it for a while now. Maybe I just focused on the balls too much to begin with so this tip won’t really resonate with too many of you.

I don’t know. I do know the post that I lost was a lot better than this one.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
.....Btw, it's completely okay to disagree, when we can keep a civil attitude between the respondents. :grin:
Scott Lee

For sure, Scott!

People, take not of this thread.
Disagreeing while maintaining a civil attitude.
Not just that though, it also takes a smart person to know when specific discourse has run its course.

:thumbup:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr Nobody...How do you explain people who have PLAYED for 20-40+ years, but still have almost no degree of a repeatable stroke, and simply cannot "play the game" at any real competitive level? I've seen this many times (as recently as two weeks ago), and with some decent instruction, along with some disciplined practice, transform not only their overall ability to play the game, but also transform their attitude and excitement about raising their level of play.

Scott Lee

It takes many hours of practice should be on 100 lb bags of fertilizer !!! If you want to play good pool , you have to PLAY , not practice . Go to the drive in window at Wendy's and see if they'll accept practice . Nope , just cash . You have to play the best players !!! Remember , it's the spankings that make your ass tough . Bet something ( a little or a lot ) , that way it matters if you win or lose . Most people who hack at golf , or bang the balls in pool are stuck on the wrong side of the ball , oh my swing , my clubs , oh my stroke , my cue ... the game is on the other side of the ball , the SHOT !!! PLAY the GAME . Play with what god gave ya ! Don't worry about anybody else, have fun or go home !!! Don't be afraid to lose , be gung ho about competing . I've watched some of the top women playing in the men's events , they are" trying their hearts out to WIN" . That's the magic stuff , you got it or you don't . Being the ball ??? It is a joke ...:wink:

DaveK

Silver Member
For sure, Scott!

Not just that though, it also takes a smart person to know when specific discourse has run its course.

How about a light-hearted attitude ... naa naa naa naa naa naa plunk :thumbup: Sorry if I offended anyone but seriously, a line from a comedy is advice ???? That made me laugh out loud !

There are no short cuts. Proper practice using proper technique with a good understanding of how we learn motor skills is what is needed. Unfortunately too many look for advice that will take them to the next level rather than hard effort.

Dave

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For sure, Scott!

If that's your way of saying "I'm no longer interested in this thread so stop posting." then just say so because I'm not smart enough to read between the lines.:thumbup:

How about a light-hearted attitude ... naa naa naa naa naa naa plunk :thumbup: Sorry if I offended anyone but seriously, a line from a comedy is advice ???? That made me laugh out loud !

There are no short cuts. Proper practice using proper technique with a good understanding of how we learn motor skills is what is needed. Unfortunately too many look for advice that will take them to the next level rather than hard effort.

Dave

Why would anybody use proper practice techniques? Wouldn't that be like taking a short cut?

This particular thread was just me throwing out an idea that has been very useful to me. In fairness, I failed to mention Bob Fancher's - Pleasures of Small Motions. That was the book that sort of set me down this particular path. I would need to pick the book back up to review what chapter specifically but I just wanted to mention the book to be fair.

Even if you took nothing from this thread I'm at least glad you got a good laugh out of it.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
geno,
Thanks for chiming in and thanks for the compliment about my game. It's still a work in progress but I'll get there.

I hope our paths cross again in the future.

ShootingArts,
You are the man. I've always enjoyed reading your posts. They are always so well written and you always find a way to make sense of any subject.

Scott Lee,
Sounds like on this subject we are in agreement. Well, at least I agree with what you have had to say. Thanks for chiming in.

Mr. Nobody,
You sounds like Pretty Boy Floyd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6rkxYc7c5M

DaveK

Silver Member
If that's your way of saying "I'm no longer interested in this thread so stop posting." then just say so because I'm not smart enough to read between the lines.:thumbup:

Why would anybody use proper practice techniques? Wouldn't that be like taking a short cut?

This particular thread was just me throwing out an idea that has been very useful to me. In fairness, I failed to mention Bob Fancher's - Pleasures of Small Motions. That was the book that sort of set me down this particular path. I would need to pick the book back up to review what chapter specifically but I just wanted to mention the book to be fair.

Even if you took nothing from this thread I'm at least glad you got a good laugh out of it.

Fanchers book is a good one for learning how we learn, as is Gallweys Inner Game of Tennis. Your thread might be interesting to those who have not yet read and understood Fancher, Gallwey, Wilson, Henning, and a few others, but references to a Chevy Chase line from Caddyshack is not the way to a serious discussion imo .... looks good on you though :wink:

Dave