How Do You Maintain Your Shaft?

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you care how it looks? Do you refuse to ever do this or that to it? Nick's Edge? Mc Magic? Wet towels? A Steamer? A kitchen cleaning product? Elephant Snot rub down?

Just curious to how my fellow members care for their shafts, and why they do it how they do...

For me it's Nick's Edge, just a few strokes of the finest grade - wipe it down with the rough side of my leather patch, to clean off the dust particles - then stroke it up real good , till nice and warm with the slick side of my leather patch.

Then I put it away. Rinse and repeat every time after playing and nothing - and I mean nothing else - Ever.

Don't care if it turns black or any other color - just don't care about that.

So what do you do and why do you do it?

Good Rolls.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Leather Burnishing & Craftsmen Cue Wax......Croakus Cloth occasionally.....(Shaft Maintenance Program Only)

p.s. However, different repair approach used for nicks, dings, dents, scrapes, etc.

Last edited:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Shaft maintenace

Solid Maple shafts
Cleaning the shaft /lathe
Denatured Alcohol
And a soaked paper towel loaded with lighter fluid .
Just start rubbing the stuff out of the grain .
Lathe is turning at a lower speed ...

Sealing/waxing
I use blue paper shop towels soaked with lighter fluid I turn the lathe on high and
Get after it. what lighter fluid doesn't evaporated is soaked into the wood and burnishes up really nice .

Next I use either Renaissance wax or Meguiar's synthetic pure polymer wax.

I have a shaft in right now for tip replacement and cleaning I will try to post photos.

Tip replacement Triangle

So far so good.

Last edited:

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
I take it out of the case. I rub my dirty grimy hands all over it while playing. When I am done I put it back in the case.

I really do nothing to my shaft to clean or maintain. I tell my tip guy not to touch my shafts as well.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I have a lathe and do all my own maintenance.

BUT,unless I'm resealing a freshly cleaned shaft of my own,all my maintenance is done with a microfiber rag I impregnated with a little white polishing compound and Longoni Special Wax.

It doesn't get any better,trust me I've tried...Tommy D.

Siz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't advise using abrasives on a regular basis. For regular maintenance, a single wipe with a barely damp cloth and immediately dry well. Every now and again wax the shaft (I use Butcher's bowling alley wax; other brands are available).

This assumes that it is a maple shaft. For snooker players using an ash shaft, same process but use linseed oil instead of wax.

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
I take it out of the case. I rub my dirty grimy hands all over it while playing. When I am done I put it back in the case.

I really do nothing to my shaft to clean or maintain. I tell my tip guy not to touch my shafts as well.

This is mine as well, mine are cured with chalk.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I wipe my whole cue down after the night is done with a dry microfiber towel. Usually does the job. I'm anal about keeping my ferrule clean. I shoot in league and I swear everyone else has those disgusting chalk blue stained ferrules and it drives me crazy. I could never concentrate on a shot looking at that in my sightline.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shannon.spronk said:
I take it out of the case. I rub my dirty grimy hands all over it while playing. When I am done I put it back in the case.I really do nothing to my shaft to clean or maintain. I tell my tip guy not to touch my shafts as well.

This is mine as well, mine are cured with chalk.

... I'm anal about keeping my ferrule clean. ...

Tap tap tap...... I have never understood the sparkling clean shaft fad, but to each their own. I prefer when the shaft gets that 'seasoned' feel to it.

Attachments

• photo(18).jpg
    photo(18).jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 799

Daryle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ferrule on that seasoned cue in snow white!

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
40c84f1566f3abc2d23fba4ecc59c79b.jpg

I also don't do anything, I prefer a seasoned shaft as well & with these Micarta ferrules I don't have to worry about blue ferrules & have the adder of it contrasting well against the cue ball.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This. Everyone who tries my cues comments on how good the shafts feel. "What do you do to them??? Can you make mine like that??"

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please, no freaking out this time guys.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-04-08-07-02-30.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-04-08-07-02-30.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 377

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member

Mike Johnson (Jensen Cues) told me that some of the pros that use his cues take the dirt from his yard and rub in into the shafts.

Ernie (Gina) recommends rubbing with baby powder that has talc in it.

🎱

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Nothing for me either, unless the shaft gets sticky. In that case I make sure I wash my hands first, then I may take a damp (not wet) towel and rub down the shaft with it if it still needs it.

I like the seasoned (dirty) look.