Instructional Recommendations

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All,

I am looking for recommendations as to what would be some good instructional material for basic cue repair, maybe leading to other work. I had a lathe about 15yrs ago and did tips, ferrules, tenons, wraps, conversions of one-piece cues into playing and jump/break cues, joint pin replacements/changes, joint rings. I have a cue lathe inbound and would like a refresher as well as any new developments or techniques that would be beneficial. Thanks in advance for your assistance. You can PM me if you know of some that I should steer away from as well.

Thanks,
Keith

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Here is my suggestion. But I am a little biased!

Well, many folks are also Biased toward that also. Chris's book and DVD Series is the best way to begin. Lots of informative videos on UTube as was mentioned, but usually not as thorough.

Joe B also has a DVD series. Neither of the 2 series contradict each other, just a couple of different ways of achieving the same result. As in, more than one way to skin a cat. You might find that in doing some jobs, one way is a little easier for you than another. So, a couple of tricks up your sleeve never hurts.

Each being inexpensive, a person should actually have both. Chris's book is on a shelf in the shop. Have to use it for reference for many jobs that I may not do frequently, and have to catch back up on again. The Diagrams in the book are well done and pretty much Self Explanatory.

Last edited:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, many folks are also Biased toward that also. Chris's book and DVD Series is the best way to begin. Lots of informative videos on UTube as was mentioned, but usually not as thorough.

Joe B also has a DVD series. Neither of the 2 series contradict each other, just a couple of different ways of achieving the same result. As in, more than one way to skin a cat. You might find that in doing some jobs, one way is a little easier for you than another. So, a couple of tricks up your sleeve never hurts.

Each being inexpensive, a person should actually have both. Chris's book is on a shelf in the shop. Have to use it for reference for many jobs that I may not do frequently, and have to catch back up on again.

I would echo this /\. I would also add that Bob Dzuricky offers a large collection of videos on YouTube as well. :cool:
Good luck Keith.
j2

JC

Coos Cues
I would echo this /\. I would also add that Bob Dzuricky offers a large collection of videos on YouTube as well. :cool:
Good luck Keith.
j2

I love watching Bob's videos to bring me down to earth any time I start feeling competent.

JC

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just buy some wood and practice what you need too. Books and videos as good as they are , are no substitute for practical experience. Get into good habits right off the bat instead of looking for what seems to be the real easy quick way. Seldom does quick last the test of time. For me, a dial indicator that has a low stylus pressure has been the best tool for checking and indicating parts etc. Most of all, have fun .