Are Systems Really Vital to Play Great Pool?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
don't you think.....or do you.....think......

This is an outstanding post!!!

What some people may never realize is the subconscious is like a mega-computer that processes millions of bits of information, while the conscious only processes 4-7 at one time, and my references suggest 40 is the maximum....huge difference, don't you think.....or do you.....think.......it ........is...... ;)

No great player ever played this game at the world class level without tapping into their subconscious mind. This "mega-computer" is a system, and it systematically processes and directs your circulatory "system," your respiratory "system", your lymphatic "system", etc. - they call these "systems" for a reason THEY ARE SYSTEMS, and so is playing pool at the highest levels.

Just because these players can't communicate how their subconscious is operating doesn't mean it isn't. Quite the contrary, sometimes it operates the best when we DON'T THINK ABOUT IT.....isn't that a paradox? What you will find is playing at your absolute best will require dealing with many paradoxes. "If it feels right (in pool) it's probably wrong" - now that's a real paradox! 'The Game is the Teacher' (another paradox?)

Our brains are helping us do so many things that we can't even imagine what it does on a pool shot.

From a beginner to a pro player we all do something that could be considered a system.

It's pretty nice when there is something that we can do to help the brain get the job done.

Just like bowling. Some bowlers aim at the pins and some bowlers use the arrows on the alley.

The only difference is the ones that aim at the pins usually don't bowl that well.

The ones that use the arrows bowl much better.

Saying that a player doesn't use some kind of system if kind of silly.

If a player thinks he has to tap his foot 3 times and spin in a circle and does it every time, that's his system.

Kind of rediculous to even argue about it.

Just my opinion.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is an outstanding post!!!

What some people may never realize is the subconscious is like a mega-computer that processes millions of bits of information, while the conscious only processes 4-7 at one time, and my references suggest 40 is the maximum....huge difference, don't you think.....or do you.....think.......it ........is...... ;)

No great player ever played this game at the world class level without tapping into their subconscious mind. This "mega-computer" is a system, and it systematically processes and directs your circulatory "system," your respiratory "system", your lymphatic "system", etc. - they call these "systems" for a reason THEY ARE SYSTEMS, and so is playing pool at the highest levels.

Just because these players can't communicate how their subconscious is operating doesn't mean it isn't. Quite the contrary, sometimes it operates the best when we DON'T THINK ABOUT IT.....isn't that a paradox? What you will find is playing at your absolute best will require dealing with many paradoxes. "If it feels right (in pool) it's probably wrong" - now that's a real paradox! 'The Game is the Teacher' (another paradox?)

With all due respect, by your definition, taking a leak is using a system -- brain, urinary tract, bladder muscles, penis, fingers... I suppose there's a system involving your trousers, zipper, and underwear too. Then there is the aiming system you have to use to hit the water, or bowl, or little biscuit if appropriate. (hmmm, I imagine CTE would be of some use in this instance :)

A little more seriously, as applied to pool I think a much more narrow definition of "system" would be far more useful than just broadly saying everything is part of a system.

Lou Figueroa

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Systems are apparent in most human activities - the goal is to improve them and enjoy

With all due respect, by your definition, taking a leak is using a system -- brain, urinary tract, bladder muscles, penis, fingers... I suppose there's a system involving your trousers, zipper, and underwear too. Then there is the aiming system you have to use to hit the water, or bowl, or little biscuit if appropriate. (hmmm, I imagine CTE would be of some use in this instance :)

A little more seriously, as applied to pool I think a much more narrow definition of "system" would be far more useful than just broadly saying everything is part of a system.

Lou Figueroa

What you're saying goes without saying. The most important point is not whether there's a system for playing pool (this is obvious), the essential thing is to know how to improve your existing system of play (no matter what it entails).

Even the modest beginners have quickly developed a system....it's just not polished, practiced and refined yet. "the difference between the amateur and the professional is the amateur will practice until they can do it right, the professional will {refine their systems and} practice until they can't do it wrong.....there's many ways to look at how to best improve systems, however the point is universally true when applied properly.

The Champion players have one thing in common, THEY HAVE REFINED THEIR SYSTEMS and therefore reached the highest levels of personal performance.

We ALL use systems to play pool whether we're conscious of this fact or not. Those that want to improve or are frustrated in their current level of play must accept new ideas, attitudes, and emotions to reach the next level......there's really no other way. 'The Game is the Teacher'

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I know for sure there is a system here, for me it starts with unzipping my trousers.

:wink:

Lou Figueroa

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I am sure someone has a link to this. There was an article in a billiard magazine some time ago asking a number of pros how they aim.

I think all ten had different answers.

Answer you own question. Find out what system the top 10 players use. If they say I don't use a system or say I don't know. Then put that in the feel column or the IDK I just shoot column. If they say practice, drills etc then put that in the I work on my game column. Or just share exactly what they say and put each player in their own column. Then everyone can take away what they want from their own words. Feel free to explain to them what system they are using or why they should use a system. I think it would be interesting project for some media type. Ask as many pro's as possible specific questions and lets hear the answers. Let them settle some arguments on here. So this could be interesting. Lets find specific questions for the pro's. Maybe some will answer and some won't. Meet a pro ask if they will answer a few questions? Might work

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Some pool players might say that they just see the shot and shoot the shot.

They say this because they are unable or unwilling to express what it is that they actually do to make a shot.

It is rather complicated and NO ONE just sees a shot and shoots the shot.

If you asked the unable or unwilling if they put the rear foot on the shot line, most would agree that is pretty close to where they put their foot to get in line with the shot.

If you asked the unable or unwilling if they stood a certain distance away from cue ball when observing and planning the shot, they would almost always agree that they certainly maintain a certain distance from the cue ball just before bending over to form a bridge.

If you asked if the unable or unwilling if they visualized the position of the balls in a certain way, they would say that they always looked at the object ball and cue ball in a certain manner.

If you asked if the unable or unwilling if they bent one leg or both legs when bridging they would be compelled to tell you their standard.

Some people just don't want to call their system a name and prefer to call it some other name or prefer to not call it a name. It doesn't make any difference. The brain must coordinate a number of body parts to get the player onto the correct shooting line.

This could go on ad infinitum but I'm sure you get the message. (And if you don't, that's ok too. Now getting a doofus to admit that he uses a system to play great pool is another story.

Of course systems are vital to playing great pool. :lol: :rotflmao1::lmao::rotflmao:

JoeyA

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
When a surgeon operates, is it a system, a operation, or a procedure?

Or does the operation consists of procedures that use different systems?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

They say this because they are unable or unwilling to express what it is that they actually do to make a shot.

If you asked the unable or unwilling if they put the rear foot on the shot line, most would agree that is pretty close to where they put their foot to get in line with the shot.

If you asked the unable or unwilling if they stood a certain distance away from cue ball when observing and planning the shot, they would almost always agree that they certainly maintain a certain distance from the cue ball just before bending over to form a bridge.

If you asked if the unable or unwilling if they visualized the position of the balls in a certain way, they would say that they always looked at the object ball and cue ball in a certain manner.

If you asked if the unable or unwilling if they bent one leg or both legs when bridging they would be compelled to tell you their standard.

Some people just don't want to call their system a name and prefer to call it some other name or prefer to not call it a name. It doesn't make any difference. The brain must coordinate a number of body parts to get the player onto the correct shooting line.

This could go on ad infinitum but I'm sure you get the message. (And if you don't, that's ok too. Now getting a doofus to admit that he uses a system to play great pool is another story.

Of course systems are vital to playing great pool. :lol: :rotflmao1::lmao::rotflmao:

JoeyA

I think MOST PROS just see the angle to the pocket and automatically see the approach angle.
How do you explain Lou Butera and Sullivan look and then get set on the table and fire away ? IF they had to use a system, that system better be fast too.
Earl???
Allison Fisher lining up her pectoral to the line of the shot all the time ?
She sees the angle or where the cb has to be and sets to it ?

duckie

GregH
Silver Member

JoeyA

What does it matter to you what anyone calls how they shoot?

Does it really matter if someone calls how they shoot the Chicken Bone Aiming System?

Why does it matter to you?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
ALL players use a system to play and a seasoned eye can tell how proficient they are

You are exactly right in your observations and comparisons. When I'm teaching someone I communicate specifically that I'm going to begin by showing a perfect "model" of how to play, then help them develop their own style reflective of the model, but relative to their own body type, height, weight, athleticism, etc.

Many people are under the false pretense that it's easy for a champion player to communicate specifically what they do.....this is easier said than done (for the Pro) - from my experience it takes at least 1000 hours of dedicated teaching (making DVDs, videos, teaching, demonstrating, explaining, R&D with teachers from other sports/games, etc) to reach the level of effectiveness needed to make dramatic improvements in someone's game.....there is also a level of trust required usually created by demonstrating the techniques/systems as they are explained.

ALL players use a system to play and a seasoned eye can tell how proficient they are in a matter of minutes....you can't hide your speed (or lack of it), especially from someone that has made their living competing/gambling at pool. 'The Game is Our Teacher'

JoeyA

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
they will pick the same one {as the fast player}, it just takes them longer

Believe it or not it's even MORE important to use a system when playing fast. A really good system will narrow the possibilities down to usually one (with an additional variation).....someone that doesn't have a well refined system will see two, three, or even more possibilities on any given shot...this may seem prudent at first, but I assure you (when they make the right choice) they will pick the same one {as the fast player}, it just takes them longer.

522736_616024325090274_551238441_n.jpg

I think MOST PROS just see the angle to the pocket and automatically see the approach angle.
How do you explain Lou Butera and Sullivan look and then get set on the table and fire away ? IF they had to use a system, that system better be fast too.
Earl???
Allison Fisher lining up her pectoral to the line of the shot all the time ?
She sees the angle or where the cb has to be and sets to it ?

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to Hal Houle, Greenleaf did...a basic form of Center to Edge aiming...everybody uses something, but how they percieve what they do and then describe it to others is where we get all twisted up in debate...

I always wondered if Hal had seen any of the old timers use something similar, thanks for adding this!
My guess is that many of them used it at least on some shots , like when you are shooting to a "blind" pocket.