Advantage to get Lower on Cue Stick?

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The closer the cue ball is to the object ball, the more upright I am in my stance. As that distance increases, the lower I get in my stance. I think that is pretty common.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes. A complete list of advantages, along with supporting resources, can be found here:

advantages of a low stance
That was an interesting read and nice write up.
Thank you.

Just how close is your chin almost touching the cue?
Many people have the cue rubbing on the chin during the stroke.

I personally touch my chin to the cue to verify my visual alignment, but then I raise my chin about 1/2" (a little more on power shots) to provide a little clearance during the stroke.

Regards,
Dave

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I grew up playing snooker and the stance has remained...

I've ripped hairs out of my chin (if I didn't shave) a few times by getting them caught in the joint of my cue somehow!

Can't imagine playing even partially upright with any precision.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you.

Many people have the cue rubbing on the chin during the stroke.

I personally touch my chin to the cue to verify my visual alignment, but then I raise my chin about 1/2" (a little more on power shots) to provide a little clearance during the stroke.

Regards,
Dave

I noticed gripping the cue further back and widening my stance a little automatically put my chin on the cue. Is this correct? I can get my chin on the cue no problem, my issue is I don't see the shots the same.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I noticed gripping the cue further back and widening my stance a little automatically put my chin on the cue. Is this correct? I can get my chin on the cue no problem, my issue is I don't see the shots the same.
What is "correct" is what works best for you. Approaches include:
- widening the feet
- bending more at the waist
- bend knees
- be born short
The whole idea is "you don't see the shots the same."

Note that it is very important that you "aim while standing" before you get down into your stance. For more info, see:

DAM aiming system advice

and

pre-shot routine advice

Regards,
Dave

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is "correct" is what works best for you. Approaches include:
- widening the feet
- bending more at the waist
- bend knees
- be born short
The whole idea is "you don't see the shots the same."

Note that it is very important that you "aim while standing" before you get down into your stance. For more info, see:

DAM aiming system advice

and

pre-shot routine advice

Regards,
Dave

That was dam good advice. I'll try it out. Thanks 😁