2019 Mosconi Selection

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I know Max's game well. Definitely can play. Not sure if the time clock is his friend. A little on the delibert side and that can scramble some people (not saying it will).

Yes, Max is very slow, just like Kaci. I recall that in 2018, a few posters on this forum suggested Kaci would struggle in the Mosconi Cup because of it, and they proved to be right, as Kaci's Mosconi debut was less than impressive.

You never now, though. Ralf Souquet, another very slow player, had great success over the years at the Mosconi. Somehow, he was able to make the adjustment to playing with the shot clock.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure exactly how they will choose the three out these four to play on Team USA ?

Good luck to Max.

Capture.jpg

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I understand it, Bergman is no longer in contention for a spot, and it will be Shane, Skyler and three of Deuel, Eberle, Styer and Thorpe.

styer should be a given, very solid fundamentals. thorpe should be in the team as well. eberle i haven't seen playing rotation, only straight pool. i would like to see ellerman in the mix

/unbiased yuropean chipping in

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I understand it, Bergman is no longer in contention for a spot, and it will be Shane, Skyler and three of Deuel, Eberle, Styer and Thorpe.

Oh geez, what happened now?

in that case

SVB
Sky
Thorpe
Tyler
Max

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Not sure exactly how they will choose the three out these four to play on Team USA ?

Good luck to Max.

View attachment 525992

So I haven’t gone back and watched all the Mosconi Cup years. Has Corey Deuel ever had a great year at the cup?

The times I’ve seen him he hasn’t done very well. He’s one of my favorite players for sure but I don’t know if that type of competition is his thing. He seems more like a creative artist than a high pressure 9 balling machine.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
So I haven’t gone back and watched all the Mosconi Cup years. Has Corey Deuel ever had a great year at the cup?

The times I’ve seen him he hasn’t done very well. He’s one of my favorite players for sure but I don’t know if that type of competition is his thing. He seems more like a creative artist than a high pressure 9 balling machine.

In both 2000 and 2001, Corey has strong Mosconi Cups, gong a combined 7-1. Then again, that was, when Deuel was among the top five players in the world and before Europe became competitive. In recent years, he's played pretty poorly and his play in last year's Mosconi Cup was very weak.

Still, I think Thorpe and Styer, both of whom had solid Mosconi performances a year ago, get in, and it comes down to Max and Corey for the final spot on Team USA It would be hard to argue that Max is the better player of the two, but if Max plays well in the Kremlin Cup in Russia, he will likely get the nod. Wishing both of them the best of luck.

Omission of Tyler Styer or Billy Thorpe would really hurt Team USA's chances against Team Europe.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In both 2000 and 2001, Corey has strong Mosconi Cups, gong a combined 7-1. Then again, that was, when Deuel was among the top five players in the world and before Europe became competitive. In recent years, he's played pretty poorly and his play in last year's Mosconi Cup was very weak.

Still, I think Thorpe and Styer, both of whom had solid Mosconi performances a year ago, get in, and it comes down to Max and Corey for the final spot on Team USA It would be hard to argue that Max is the better player of the two, but if Max plays well in the Kremlin Cup in Russia, he will likely get the nod. Wishing both of them the best of luck.

Omission of Tyler Styer or Billy Thorpe would really hurt Team USA's chances against Team Europe.
Between Corey and Max, both are well past their primes - Max is 46 and Corey is 41. Corey was easily the far better player at his peak - 15+ years ago, but Max is likely playing closer to how he played at his peak than Corey is.

It would seem to be a safer move to go with Corey (10 previous Mosconi Cup appearances), which would be duplicating the same victorious team as in 2018. I don't see Corey playing as poorly again as he played last year, and who knows how Max (0 previous Mosconi Cup appearances) would handle the enormous pressure of the Mosconi Cup?

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member

Thanks, I’ll have to check those out.

I’d like to see mad Max go out there and tear it up. I haven’t seen him play a whole lot but I do like the videos he’s put out.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Has Corey Deuel ever had a great year at the cup?

Corey Deuel's 10-year Mosconi Cup record is shown below for singles (s), doubles (d), trebles (tr, played only in 2006), teams (t) and totals for Methods A and B.

Method A counts a full win or loss for each player in each match (i.e., not splitting the point into fifths or sixths for teams matches, or thirds for trebles matches, or halves for doubles matches).

Method B counts a full point for each player in a singles win or loss, half a point for each player in a doubles win or loss, a third of a point for each player in a trebles win or loss, and one-fifth of a point (one-sixth in 2006 when the teams had 6 players) for each player in a team win or loss.

2000 -- 2-0 s, 2-1 d, 4-1 total A, 3.0-0.5 total B
2001 -- 1-0 s, 2-0 d, 3-0 total A, 2.0-0 total B
2002 -- 1-1 s, 1-2 d, 2-3 total A, 1.5-2.0 total B
2006 -- 1-1 s, 2-0 d, 2-0 tr, 2-0 t, 7-1 total A, 3.0-1.0 total B
2007 -- 0-1 s, 1-2 d, 1-0 t, 2-3 total A, 0.7-2.0 total B

2009 -- 0-1 s, 2-1 d, 1-0 t, 3-2 total A, 1.2-1.5 total B
2010 -- 1-1 s, 1-2 d, 0-1 t, 2-4 total A, 1.5-2.2 total B
2014 -- 0-1 s, 2-1 d, 0-1 t, 2-3 total A, 1.0-1.7 total B
2015 -- 1-0 s, 0-3 d, 1-0 t, 2-3 total A, 1.2-1.5 total B
2018 -- 0-2 s, 1-1 d, 0-1 t, 1-4 total A, 0.5-2.7 total B

Total -- 7-8 s, 14-13 d, 2-0 tr, 5-3 t, 28-24 total A (winning percentage of 54%), 15.6-15.1 total B (51%)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Corey Deuel's 10-year Mosconi Cup record is shown below for singles (s), doubles (d), trebles (tr, played only in 2006), teams (t) and totals for Methods A and B.

Method A counts a full win or loss for each player in each match (i.e., not splitting the point into fifths or sixths for teams matches, or thirds for trebles matches, or halves for doubles matches).

Method B counts a full point for each player in a singles win or loss, half a point for each player in a doubles win or loss, a third of a point for each player in a trebles win or loss, and one-fifth of a point (one-sixth in 2006 when the teams had 6 players) for each player in a team win or loss.

2000 -- 2-0 s, 2-1 d, 4-1 total A, 3.0-0.5 total B
2001 -- 1-0 s, 2-0 d, 3-0 total A, 2.0-0 total B
2002 -- 1-1 s, 1-2 d, 2-3 total A, 1.5-2.0 total B
2006 -- 1-1 s, 2-0 d, 2-0 tr, 2-0 t, 7-1 total A, 3.0-1.0 total B
2007 -- 0-1 s, 1-2 d, 1-0 t, 2-3 total A, 0.7-2.0 total B

2009 -- 0-1 s, 2-1 d, 1-0 t, 3-2 total A, 1.2-1.5 total B
2010 -- 1-1 s, 1-2 d, 0-1 t, 2-4 total A, 1.5-2.2 total B
2014 -- 0-1 s, 2-1 d, 0-1 t, 2-3 total A, 1.0-1.7 total B
2015 -- 1-0 s, 0-3 d, 1-0 t, 2-3 total A, 1.2-1.5 total B
2018 -- 0-2 s, 1-1 d, 0-1 t, 1-4 total A, 0.5-2.7 total B

Total -- 7-8 s, 14-13 d, 2-0 tr, 5-3 t, 28-24 total A (winning percentage of 54%), 15.6-15.1 total B (51%)

Good stuff here. Corey hasn't really had a good Mosconi Cup since 2006.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Isn’t Max Eberle a flat-earther?

I think so and Max is a cool dude whatever his beliefs are. I know the the road to flat hell is paved with cool dudes.

A Couple of years ago I sat at the Bar with Max and chatted about art, Max was very complimentary about mine and was very easy to talk to. I sometimes wish that the Mosconi cup was not so much about whos best but rather high light how interesting some of the players are that have a great game but might not be the best.

Some players dedicate their whole life to the game without a pot of gold waiting for them.

Cuebuddy>>>>A Max fan for sure.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wasn't it a bigger group last year? just curious how it ended up being just deuel and eberly. i would like to see for example josh roberts, chris robinson and ellerman be in contention for a spot

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn’t Max Eberle a flat-earther?

Yes and he so rude and crazy I had to unfriend him on facebook. He isn’t playing enough to handle the mosconi pressure. I for one hope he doesn’t make the cut.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Yes and he so rude and crazy I had to unfriend him on facebook. He isn’t playing enough to handle the mosconi pressure. I for one hope he doesn’t make the cut.

Not sure what you’re talking about.....Max has friends all around the globe....

3B32B216-11A2-4347-98F3-955E93401489.jpeg

...and some farther out.....:)