2019 Mosconi Selection

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
I don’t know how relevant his beliefs about that are to pool, but it gives me some pause about his ability to represent the US.

pool players, not diplomats

if Max and Corey are the last two standing i'd like to see them get down and play a race to 30 to secure the final spot

30K in the middle + the trip may bring out the best (or worst) in one or both

i like C if this comes to pass

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member

if Max and Corey are the last two standing i'd like to see them get down and play a race to 30 to secure the final spot

...wrd

Cuebuddy: I like the idea about people’s stories. I’ve always wanted to see little clips of the players during matches. Telling stories, talking about themselves etc. People like that kinda thing.

Atlarge: Thanks for the stats :thumbup2:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

When it comes to the Mosconi Cup team, what we need to know is who can win a race to five, not a race to thirty. No playing your way into a short race, it's perform now or lose --- late match pressure from the start.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
When it comes to the Mosconi Cup team, what we need to know is who can win a race to five, not a race to thirty. No playing your way into a short race, it's perform now or lose --- late match pressure from the start.

Excellent point.....milers are not necessarily good dashers.
...I think that’s Shane’s problem...but i think he’s working on it.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Why the F is WILKE not included in this circus?

Waiting for an answer.......

I'll take Wilke over Max and Tyler(respect) every day.

Gimme action, up to 3k per match race to 21.
Jason

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I am accepting action on both of those bets up to $5,000

Quit being babys and let Wilke earn some money for being overlooked every year.

I'm serious, get a bet down!
Jason

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Why the F is WILKE not included in this circus?

Waiting for an answer.......

I'll take Wilke over Max and Tyler(respect) every day.

Gimme action, up to 3k per match race to 21.
Jason

The answer, it turns out, is quite simple. Wilkie over Styer would make no sense at all.

In the two biggest events of 2019 in which both Styer and Wilkie played this year, the Derby City 9-ball and the US Open 9-ball, the results were as follows:

US Open 9-ball
Styer finished tied for 17th, eliminated in Losers Round 8
Wilkie finished tied for 49th, eliminated in Losers Round 5

Derby City 9-ball
Styer finished tied for 11th, eliminated in Round 9
Wilkie finished out of the money, eliminated in Round 4

Wilkie is a fine player, but Styer has shown the far better form of the two this year in the big events. I'd bet on Styer right now if the two matched up at nine ball.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Corey

I am pulling for Corey.

He may not be in the top 10 right now, but I feel he is playing as well as he has ever played. He has worked hard on his fundamentals and put in effort into snooker and all major events. It's possible he's playing the best pool of his life today.

Another factor is the break, I'm not sure many players have a better break than Corey and that is a big deal in the Mosconi Cup sets. He moves well and has tremendous experience under pressure.

As for his past MC performances, it's hard to be too critical of his results when he was on a team that was getting destroyed. The top EU players are better than Corey, and when you are down 8-1 playing Neils Feijen (for example) it's going to be rough. It seems to me that when the US team was competitive, so was he. I realize the competition isn't getting easier, but if I had to pick a player to win a set off of EU I'd go with Corey over Eberle all day.

Either way it will be a tough day for team USA and I hope we continue to see new young players. Tyler is showing amazing promise to the point I wonder if he'll be the first US player since SVB to attain the elite top 5 level. It's too early to say but he hasn't shown any sign of slowing his assault on pool. So while we're up against it in the short term, you can't rule the USA out in the long term. Tyler, Chris, Billy, Sky, and others like them are still playing catch up but at least we have names in the conversation and some of them may make it to the innermost circle.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder what criteria they used to determine who could try out- some guys that are very talented are being left out. I’m surprised Eberle emerged from that competition- I personally feel that Bergman is a stronger player- in fact, in terms of ability Schmidt, Dechaine, Roberts, Archer, Oscar, and even Earl in noticeable decline are likely better players

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder what criteria they used to determine who could try out- some guys that are very talented are being left out. I’m surprised Eberle emerged from that competition- I personally feel that Bergman is a stronger player- in fact, in terms of ability Schmidt, Dechaine, Roberts, Archer, Oscar, and even Earl in noticeable decline are likely better players

big tournament performance is most likely a factor. like the US Open where tyler beat bergman on the tv table

but it would be interesting to put earl, dechaine, schmidt and hatch in the same team as a sociology experiment

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am pulling for Corey.

He may not be in the top 10 right now, but I feel he is playing as well as he has ever played. He has worked hard on his fundamentals and put in effort into snooker and all major events. It's possible he's playing the best pool of his life today.

Another factor is the break, I'm not sure many players have a better break than Corey and that is a big deal in the Mosconi Cup sets. He moves well and has tremendous experience under pressure.

As for his past MC performances, it's hard to be too critical of his results when he was on a team that was getting destroyed. The top EU players are better than Corey, and when you are down 8-1 playing Neils Feijen (for example) it's going to be rough. It seems to me that when the US team was competitive, so was he. I realize the competition isn't getting easier, but if I had to pick a player to win a set off of EU I'd go with Corey over Eberle all day.

Either way it will be a tough day for team USA and I hope we continue to see new young players. Tyler is showing amazing promise to the point I wonder if he'll be the first US player since SVB to attain the elite top 5 level. It's too early to say but he hasn't shown any sign of slowing his assault on pool. So while we're up against it in the short term, you can't rule the USA out in the long term. Tyler, Chris, Billy, Sky, and others like them are still playing catch up but at least we have names in the conversation and some of them may make it to the innermost circle.
You really think Styer has a better chance of eventually becoming a world top 5 9-ball player than Woodward? The age difference between the two is only 2 years - Styer 24 and Woodward 26.

Last edited:

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It’s close

You really think Styer has a better chance of eventually becoming a world top 5 9-ball player than Woodward? The age difference between the two is only 2 years - Styer 24 and Woodward 26.

It’s close. My words were that Styer is showing tremendous promise, improving quickly, and has the tools and ambition to go all the way. Then I mentioned a few players that were in that group of elite candidates including Woodward.

Woodward is currently a better player with some amazing performances. He also has a great ‘9 on the spot’ break, maybe the best I’ve seen. The last year he’s been white hot.

Styer is a funny story, He’s improved so fast over the last two years I don’t even know how strong he plays. His fundamentals are super solid, he had a crush’em break, and he seems to be extremely disciplined and committed with a strict diet and exercise, tons of practice, participation in every major, etc.

I am rooting for both of them. Billy is showing major improvement as well.

I would love to see more of them playing these after tournament cash matches like Aranas, Cheng, Kaci, and the others are doing. I know some EU pros don’t gamble like Ralf and Thorsten, but I think the new school is one of 24/7 competition. Tournament, match up, tournament, match up, and no stopping. Not a requirement, maybe I just want to sweat it! But I think some of those matchups will happen soon.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
big tournament performance is most likely a factor. like the US Open where tyler beat bergman on the tv table

but it would be interesting to put earl, dechaine, schmidt and hatch in the same team as a sociology experiment

lol.

Lou Figueroa

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member

After carefully considering your post i'll modify my suggestion for determining the final rep for our MC team by having CD play ME best of 7 races to 5 for the last spot.

Although ME is a very good state or perhaps regional level player he's an underdog vs CD playing races to any number

We minimize our chances of beating a superior team by not sending our best players, allow them to prove their mettle through competition instead of an amorphous process

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Yes, and with a 30-sec. shot clock.

[one reason to worry about Max]