Ball in Hand handicap system

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Never...Sounds like fun. :wink:

Yeah, almost as much fun as going to the dentist. The only thing more fun is when you coach them and they do the complete opposite of what you told them. Why? Because they thought they could make the 3 rail bank shot and get a good leave on the 5 ;) lol

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$37,000
$250,000
$100,000
$10,000

Where is all this money coming from.?
Are there enough players at $10 week to cover the payouts.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still, can't imaging too many good players wanting to compete at this level and in this manner. JMHO.

Why wouldn't they want to compete? If you, as a top amateur player, have good safety play vs a player who has enough BIH and do not know much besides getting the ball in the hole, you should be able to beat on them.

Can we stop making excuses for top level amateur players already?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It seems that some people don't realize the tremendous range of abilities of pool players. Fargo makes this pretty clear. An 800 could spot a 200 18 games on the wire going to 20 and still expect to win nearly all the time.

If you set up such a match as part of a handicap system, the 200 might enjoy watching, but they wouldn't get to play. In the race to 20 they might make five balls. A large fraction of the time when they came to the table they would be frozen to the back of a ball with almost no hope to hit the right ball.

In the UPL they actually get to shoot in a few balls.

What I wonder about is how long it will take them to learn to use BIH effectively. How long will they continue to put the cue ball down for a straight in shot when if they took a little angle they could easily break apart that cluster or go to the end rail for their next shot? Am I the only one who has had to suppress the urge to scream while watching 2's and 3's take ball in hand? Like when they put the cue ball down three feet from the object ball. What's up with that? After playing two or three or ten seasons you would think they would catch on about that sort of thing.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would think the average A player wouldn't have issues with giving 3 or 4 ball in Hands as long as the race are long enough when playing a player that is truly a 3 or 4.

IMO, all it does is:

add more excitement for the lesser players

force the A player to be more resourceful

Jeff

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Changes it entirely. Doesn't appear that playing safe by locking up your opponent, or playing 2-way shots, has an advantage until your opponent has run out of his allotted BIHs. The players getting these BIH handicaps would have to be close to beginners and I wouldn't think most good players would enjoy competing at that level. JMHO.

Thank you.

I agree just another way to make the wheel round though. Sort of like the
APA 9 ball going on the points system. Just another way. You run out of ball in hands
now you're playing the real game.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which is a lot more than some other handicap systems do.

Which is why I like the BIH handicapping system.

Bottom line to me is, if an A player or above cant beat a 3 or 4 or even a 5 simply because of 3 or even 4 bih's, well, they need to do what we all should be doing:

learn to play at our best more often, regardless of the situation

or

learn to "out think" the nuts instead of "out running" the nuts when were not playing our best

I for one, love that particular system.

In my experience, the bih systems are in the stronger players advantage because 3, 4 and 5's normally don't have the knowledge to take advantage of bih.

To me a spot is like driving a very powerful car. If an inexperienced driver gets behind the wheel, well, lol....it probably won't end well for them so, a more experienced driver can and "will" beat them eventhough they are in a slower car.

Just common sense to me. Then again, I've been wrong before.

Jeff

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I would think the average A player wouldn't have issues with giving 3 or 4 ball in Hands as long as the race are long enough when playing a player that is truly a 3 or 4.

IMO, all it does is:

add more excitement for the lesser players

force the A player to be more resourceful

Jeff

Yeah it sounds pretty cool. Good use for my Even 8 Ball skills lol. Try to tie up your opponents balls while getting position off of them. Creative pool I like. Though if they’re playing nein ball in his league those BIH could really get you