Do you make "halftime adjustments" and if so what?

heisenbug

Registered
I had a conversation yesterday and there was some good back and forth discussion on this topic. We didn't really come up to an answer, but had a great discussion. It stemmed from the following situation...

I was playing a league night match and I was shooting well. I started out way ahead and had a commanding lead. As the match was nearing its end, my opponent decided to switch the game up and start playing very defensively. It became a battle of a safety game, where if my opponent didn’t have a perfect shot that was 100% in, they would safety. It slowed the pace of the game way down and every ball was very difficult to get. There was a real switch in momentum.

I ended up winning because I was so far ahead, but my opponent’s tactics did work somewhat. They made quite a bit of ground back up, and if they had started that tactic earlier, then I might not have won that game. I was just too far ahead when they changed tactics.

I want to mention that I didn't play any worse than earlier, and I don't feel that mentally this affected me at all. My opponent just made a change in their game and started catching up.

My question is, when in football, an opposing coach may make a "halftime adjustment" in strategy to change the momentum. I also understand the benefit of playing the best pool you can play in the situation, regardless of the opponent, but you can't ignore the fact that this is an opponent.

I didn't know what to do, so I didn't actually make an adjustment. I just kept playing the pool that gave me the lead in the first place. It was enough to win, but barely. I was told this also could have been because my opponent was getting frustrated, but then may have given up on the game, which allowed them to play better.

When is it appropriate to make strategy adjustments, and what strategy adjustments do you make? Should I have made an adjustment or just kept trying to play my best pool? Perhaps when you are playing poorly should you make adjustments, but also, in this situation where I was playing pretty good pool, but my opponent made a good adjustment and switched momentum. How do you get that back?

Last edited:

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Not the first or last time this will happen. Players have different strengths. The defense is easier to execute in general, but if you don't have a good understanding of defense, it won't work for you as well as your opponent.

When you are playing well, your stoke and pocketing skills are in tune. This is always great but can be fleeting at times.

Your best game is always a combination of both, especially against an equal opponent. Make sure you are a smart player overall and not just a sharpshooter. You will need both.

nibrobus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The adjustments I make tend to be more about the way I'm playing rather than my opponent.

For example, if I'm having trouble making balls on the break I'll play with the cue ball position in the kitchen, hitting the head or 2nd ball (for 8 ball of course), and break speed until I start making a ball. I'll also observe my opponent's break if they are having success and try to duplicate it myself.

If I'm struggling with my game, be it shotmaking and/or speed control, I'll try to switch into more of a "game manager" mode until I can find my stroke. I'll play more safes, actively look for more 2 way shots, tie up opponents' balls, don't go for an early breakout (depending on the layout of the table) just to sort of buy time and hope to catch my gear. Playing more safes can result in more ball in hand opportunities which can help you get a feel for the table and gain confidence. If I happen to start catching a gear, I'll start playing more aggressively and go for earlier runouts.

As far as responding to the way my opponent plays, I just try to stay within my abilities and what I'm confident in executing at that particular time. If the opponent tries to slow the game down, I'll just take what the table gives me. If it's a return safe so be it, but if I see something that can break the game open I'll go for it. Sometimes that can mentally break down your opponent when you're beating them at their own game.

There's a player I've faced numerous times who plays very slow and defensively and it tends to drive players nuts. His style is basically EVERY shot is an attempt at a 2 way shot, so it takes him forever to make a decision. He's been known to play safe with a wide open table just because a shot isn't 85%-100% to make. I actually enjoy a good safety battle so I'll play safe right back at him, where other players may go for a flyer just to speed up the game. Putting him in a lockdown safe tends to put him on tilt since he figures he can out-safe everybody else. I've come back to beat him several times where he's had a good lead simply because I got in his head.

Last edited:

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Sometimes more safeties, sometimes more aggressive attempts at getting out. Just depends how I’m feeling about how I’m playing. I can get safety happy at times.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Been known to change up my PSR by switching chalking hands.

The bewildered expressions on my opponents' faces are priceless.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Honest answer. If you’re playing a handicap league, you need to be able to adjust and should adjust. Matches are short races. It all happens quickly. You may start out thinking you can outrun the nuts, only to realize you have to limit your opponent’s success. Stay in the moment and win the match.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You watch those nature documentaries on the cable?

hqdefault.jpg

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you're playing good there shouldn't be any adjustments just because your opponent starts playing better.

Now if you're personally struggling it might make sense to change something up. But if you are playing well I would keep doing what got you the lead.

Strategy is fun, but pool isn't that complicated of a game. It's not like chess where you might want to play for a dynamic game against a positional player. Most of it comes down to execution. As long as you're positive, making good decisions, and doing your best with each opportunity, you are doing what you can do.

Shorty34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know the comment about washing your face and having a shot of JTS brown was made in jest (and very funny I might add), but there is something to be said to stepping away from the table to clear your head and refocusing. Don't know if you would consider that a "halftime adjustment", but seems to work for me...

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
sometimes you have to swap directions

A lot more often than not I am likely to try to just execute the strategy I am using better. Probably not the best move!

I won one of the major matches of my life because I realized I was getting in trouble before I was deep in a hole, I analyzed the situation, and I made a small change. A huge change usually isn't required and usually isn't a good idea. People that go to a super safe game are usually delaying the inevitable for example. Adding a little more safety play may be the key to victory, you may already be playing too many safeties and need to attack more.

Two way shots are never a bad idea as long as they don't weaken your main objective. If a two way shot reduces your chance of pocketing one of your balls, don't play the shot!

This is the time to study the table like a chess board and to consider your opponent's weaknesses of the moment. Often the table layout lets you steal a ball or two and there may be opportunities for unusual safety plays. If you can jam the cue ball tightly enough against it one ball can be a safety situation even if it is your opponent's ball.

It has been said jokingly but I suspect not entirely a joke, it has been said seriously. Taking a break and washing face and hands including forehead is a good idea. I might do this multiple times in an hours long match. I feel more alert and my eyes seem sharper. Another trick to drop your body temperature and feel more alert is to hold your wrist, preferably your left, under the stream of an ice water fountain if there happens to be one. Not likely these days but some old halls still have them. One old pool player would pull his shoe and sock off one foot, stick it in the toilet, and flush a few times! Gotta admit I'll lose before going that far.

If your best isn't good enough to win the only way you stand a chance of winning is changing direction. In the match I mentioned at the top of the post I beat a better shooter because he was all about firepower. I was too for the first few hours but I was going to lose if I kept coming at him head on. It had been years since I lost a match in that little place and a defeat would have been bruising, not to mention that match-up wasn't going to end until somebody was busted.

Hu