Can a Pool Player Prevent Missing Shots by Constant, Consistent, Calibration?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Have you ever had a match when you were playing well, then started missing for no apparent reason?

Did you have any indication this was going to happen, were there any shots that just "wobbled in" that may have been a sign that something needed to be calibrated in your aiming, or stroke?

I focus most of my attention on the cue ball after getting down on the shot, just glancing at the object ball (to make sure it's still there;)), then back to the cue ball.

Then, when I take my back-swing I switch my focus to the object ball and watch it go into the pocket (without moving my head, just my eyes).....I am aware what part of the pocket I hit and calibrate it to how it "feels," especially the acceleration performed.

When I slightly undercut or over-cut that shot I will adjust slightly (speed/toi/left foot) for the next shot. My philosophy is that I need to treat all shots the same to reach my highest level, so if I undercut one shot slightly I take it for granted that I will slightly undercut all the future shots.

This makes me re calibrate my shots IMMEDIATELY, instead of waiting to actually miss a shot - "The 3 C's" - Constant Consistent Calibration

After a period (the time differs) I won't have to adjust anymore and will be calibrated to the center of the pocket every time. I see players that are happy just to make the ball, even is it "wobbles in" and don't make any adjustments.

Almost without fail they will start missing shots and not understand why. Usually these misses can be traced back to several shots BEFORE that are nearly missed, neglecting to make any adjustments.

Controlling the cue with BOTH HANDS is essential to playing flawless pool. There is very little margin of error, so you must keep the cue on a "groove/slot" so it has no chance of deviating left or right - then you are at the caliber that shot calibration is vitally important to winning tournaments, league playoffs, or major championships.

'The 3 C's are the Teacher'

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
My first thought is yes they can, and do, but at a sub-conscious level. I believe the mind is constantly tweaking itself in an effort to improve.
Having said that, I also believe that when your attention is drawn to your smart phone, all bets are off. :)

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
Have you ever had a match when you were playing well, then started missing for no apparent reason?

Did you have any indication this was going to happen, were there any shots that just "wobbled in" that may have been a sign that something needed to be calibrated in your aiming, or stroke?

I focus most of my attention on the cue ball after getting down on the shot, just glancing at the object ball (to make sure it's still there;)), then back to the cue ball.

Then, when I take my back-swing I switch my focus to the object ball and watch it go into the pocket (without moving my head, just my eyes).....I am aware what part of the pocket I hit and calibrate it to how it "feels," especially the acceleration performed.

When I slightly undercut or over-cut that shot I will adjust slightly (speed/toi/left foot) for the next shot. My philosophy is that I need to treat all shots the same to reach my highest level, so if I undercut one shot slightly I take it for granted that I will slightly undercut all the future shots.

This makes me re calibrate my shots IMMEDIATELY, instead of waiting to actually miss a shot - "The 3 C's" - Constant Consistent Calibration

After a period (the time differs) I won't have to adjust anymore and will be calibrated to the center of the pocket every time. I see players that are happy just to make the ball, even is it "wobbles in" and don't make any adjustments.

Almost without fail they will start missing shots and not understand why. Usually these misses can be traced back to several shots BEFORE that are nearly missed, neglecting to make any adjustments.

Controlling the cue with BOTH HANDS is essential to playing flawless pool. There is very little margin of error, so you must keep the cue on a "groove/slot" so it has no chance of deviating left or right - then you are at the caliber that shot calibration is vitally important to winning tournaments, league playoffs, or major championships.

'The 3 C's are the Teacher'

So you are saying "Aim small".

Got it.

Simplicity is the teacher.

Ken

DirtyJersey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never thought about shots that intensely although a friend who is a high level player has told me the same thing in a different way. I'm going to start thinking this way. Thanks for the tip CJ.:thumbup:

qfans

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Adjusting

i guess this has to be along the same line. Playing good players in my area I've noticed if they wobble a ball in or ratlle it in, they make the adjustment very quickly on the next shot in fact. I'm usually not happy to see this as my opportunity to get back to the table has now passed. That close call has woken them up and they concentrate a little more to get back in their comfort zone. This close call is usually brought on by laziness and refocusing and getting back to fundamentals even slowing things down a bit seem to right the ship! But then I seem to get everyone's best game nowadays, I guess I'll take it as a compliment! And maximize my time at the table.

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Missing Shots

I believe that most shots are missed by a slight difference in stance primarily from your head/arm being slightly off from your standard stance. The real question is how to repeat the same stance/alignment every time? One way I try to repeat the same stance is seeing your finger knuckle over the exact position over your shaft.

Any other ideas CJ Wiley?

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
'

No. Having a solid PSR and paying attention to detail prevents that and also prevents slumps.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I think there are as many reasons for missing as there are pool players.

To find one player that feels, thinks, endures fatigue, shuts out random thoughts, family issues, stance, envisionment, and the other zillion reasons for missing the same as someone else is a longer shot than hitting the lottery every day for a week.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
The beauty of this is we can stay on track when many other players can not

So you are saying "Aim small".

Got it.

Simplicity is the teacher.

Ken

No, I'm not saying that at all. The helpful part of this is to understand why we miss to one side of the pocket or the other. Is it because of our acceleration, our cue ball targeting, or are we throwing the object ball off course.

When we understand exactly how this effects our stoke, alignment, or aiming technique it frees us to calibrate each shot on an ongoing basis.

The beauty of this is we can stay on track when many other players can not.....and it's because of our knowledge and how it relates to our individual playing characteristics.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
there's only three major reasons players miss shots

To find one player that feels, thinks, endures fatigue, shuts out random thoughts, family issues, stance, envisionment, and the other zillion reasons for missing the same as someone else is a longer shot than hitting the lottery every day for a week.

Actually there's only three major reasons players miss shots.

1) poor acceleration at the moment of contact

2) poor, or lazy cue ball targeting (where the tip contacts the cue ball)

3) unintentional spin, or deflection causing the object ball to "throw" out of the target line.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Can you please explain more what you mean by acceleration and how that relates to missing shots?

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member

3) unintentional spin, or deflection causing the object ball to "throw" out of the target line.

DAM CJ,
That describes me exactly :)
But aren't #2 and #3 redundant?

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member

Ah .. yes, but why do we sometimes have poor acceleration ... why do we have lazy cue ball targeting ... and why do we sometimes impart unintentional spin?

The bottom line is because we are all a mess in a zillion different ways, and in order to correct any of these things we need to address the specific reasons for our brain cramps. :D

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Good to see some common sense, being inserted into this confusing and pointless thread !...Hey 3andstop, you could even coin your own personal tag line !..How about.."Random Thoughts are my Teacher" ?:thumbup:

PS..I have re-read the OP's 1st post, several times..and I always come away asking myself the same few question's ...
..(1) Where does he come up with these strange new topics ?..(2) Why does he lean toward subjects, that are even harder for him to explain, than they are for us to understand ? (3) and lastly, what color is the sky in his world ?

Last edited:

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Good to see some common sense, being inserted into this confusing and pointless thread !...Hey 3andstop, you could even coin your own personal tag line !..How about.."Random Thoughts are my Teacher" ?:thumbup:

LOL .. I would, but alas .... CJ would just steal it again like he did with my TOI. :shrug::deadhorse::thud::killingme:

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Way to thank a professional player who is kind enough to see fit to offer his advice to those of us who are not as skilled!!!

Apparently you're so good that you never miss; so I can understand your thinking this thread is pointless. Perhaps you can share your secret with the great unwashed?

CJ, thank you for taking the time to help the rest of us out!! :thumbup::thumbup2:

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@CJ Wiley : Very interesting and informative, especially about using recognition even when the shot is made. Many of us don't do that.

One question though. It's seems your post is based on the premise that when things start to go out of whack and require the fine adjustments, they are going out of whack consistently to one side or the other (undercutting or overcutting). But aren't we just as likely (or almost as likely) to spray our misses either way? If we undercut our misses 60% and overcut them 40%, how can you "recalibrate" that? Recalibration of anything (not just pool) requires the direction of the error to be consistent.

Or is your intent mainly to recognize that those "consistent errors" frequently do occur, to recognize them early, then recalibrate when possible?

Last edited:

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

PS..I have re-read the OP's 1st post, several times..and I always come away asking myself the same few question's ...
..(1) Where does he come up with these strange new topics ?..(2) Why does he lean toward subjects, that are even harder for him to explain, than they are for us to understand ? (3) and lastly, what color is the sky in his world ?

Maybe we should use the CTE line, (paraphrased), Put Up or Shut Up. Get out the money and play CJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk