Advantage to get Lower on Cue Stick?

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
As we get older, it's less stressful to stand more and more upright on the cue stick. But, if we can get lower, is it an advantage? I might have to go to the gym. I do know that the pure forearm pendulum stroke can only be obtained by getting lower. Higher means the shoulder must move out.

Last edited:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
For me, at least, when I'm lower on the shot I can see the shot better, see the angle better, and see the table better. As a result I think I have a better feel for the speed and direction of the cueball.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
For me, at least, when I'm lower on the shot I can see the shot better, see the angle better, and see the table better. As a result I think I have a better feel for the speed and direction of the cueball.

I'm finding out the pool table looks entirely different from higher down lower. Guess we need to get used to it by time. My back will let me do it. Guess it was easier to stand more upright.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
It's an advantage in pool to be young & flexible with all body parts working well.

As we age, that ability diminishes...so we compensate the best we can.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

Also, as we age, the memory seems to slip...
lol

I thought this seemed familiar - but I couldn't put my finger on it, even though I posted in that earlier thread.

At least I said the same thing here (dodged the perjury trap).

pj
chgo

P.S. Here's a new post from Bob Jewett in that other thread:

Since we're talking about this again....

Of the ten players in the Mosconi cup, only one has his chin as far as two inches from the cue stick and about half rub their chin with the stick.

Last edited:

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being down lower, on most shots, you can see the cue ball, object ball, and the pocket all at the same time without having to roll your eyes too much.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis, did Robin Dreyer address your stance?. If so I think he should have recognised your upright stance. I know i asked you about it the last time I saw you play.
Barrie ---->. Gives cheap lessons

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you decide to go to the gym to help your pool game, Do squats and deadlifts for your legs, and overhead squats for your core. It probably won’t help your pool game, but what the hell;)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Trends come and go depending on whos being worshiped at the time...
Very true. Here is the proper stance as taught 180 years ago (Kentfield, "Billiards"):

CropperCapture[230].jpg

Notice how a lot of modern players have gone back to the open bridge.

Last edited:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Dennis, did Robin Dreyer address your stance?. If so I think he should have recognised your upright stance. I know i asked you about it the last time I saw you play.
Barrie ---->. Gives cheap lessons

No, not yet.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Strange - apparently he didn't get the answer he was looking for the first time, so he figured he'd try again.

No, that post was about senior players forced to stand more erect.. We had Ray Martin give us his stance. This post is wondering if it is an advantage to get down lower IF one's body can stand it.

hitman22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting your chin to close to the cue might have ramifications boys and girls:grin:

Attachments

• david-keith-3.jpg
    david-keith-3.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 424

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
No, that post was about senior players forced to stand more erect.. We had Ray Martin give us his stance. This post is wondering if it is an advantage to get down lower IF one's body can stand it.
Has anyone ever calculated whether the lower cue stance where the cue stick almost hits the face or the more upright stance most of us older guys have to get in. I wonder if it makes a difference in shots?
Maybe you can see why it's a little confusimg...

pj <- good topic, though
chgo

Last edited: