I finally know what some of you keep talking about.

gdc25

I call 'em like I see 'em
Silver Member
let me prefix this with a disclaimer. I'm a league player... end of story. I don't profess to be good, I just enjoy the game on my own conditions.

This past Thursday I was playing in a TAP league (8-ball). I'm a 4, I was playing a 3. I was admittedly playing to my opponents weaknesses in my safeties by tempting him to break out "our" problem balls.

TAP rules say that you can "coach" a 2 on every shot but you can't a 3 or above. (you all know this I'm sure). Anyway during our 2nd game (I'm up 1-0) one of my opponents team mates starts telling him what ball to shoot next and it kinda pissed me off. To the point where I called him out on it and demanded that a time out be marked on the score card. (don't know if that was the correct ruling and that's not what this thread is about).

Anyway, I got out on my next turn... fumed a minute while I waited on the rack, took my breath and broke managing to sink a ball. As I looked at the table it happened...

I saw the pattern I needed, complete with the path of the cue ball on and after each shot...

I've played other sports in the past and have been "in the zone" and I've had other break and runs... but this was by far the most satisfying of them all....

thanks for reading.

tipman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good for you mate!

Thats why most of us play the game! Keep at it and keep your head down !

gdc25

I call 'em like I see 'em
Silver Member
Oh yeah, it's a great feeling.

I just wish I didn't have to get pissed for it to happen. (this was the case in other sports as well.)

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
Seeing the pattern is only the beginning ... were you able to execute the patter exactly as you saw it in your head? One doesn't always imply the other. :)

At least, for me it doesn't. I can see the patterns fairly easily now - but executing them is still the trick. ;)

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Well now you have went and done it.....

Up until now you simply enjoyed the game... Now you are hooked... That brief glimpse into the zone will change everything....

Based on your further comments if you require anger to reach the zone in this and other sports you have a single task at hand to begin your journey... Work on your focus.... Work on your focus... Work on your focus....

The focus can be worked on even while you are still an average player as far as pocketing and positional skills are concerned..... Focus will also slowly start to change your game as you will become more keenly aware of when the shot just shouldn't be attempted....

Welcome to the forum... I know you have been here a long time but I think you may have just arrived....

Chris

Last edited:

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Recognizing patterns can be learned. When I see the pathways through the maze for the CB to the next shot it's spooky at first.It's the secret nobody tells you about. But of course you have to learn to execute. I'm 68 and still
trying. I remember watching Ellerman pick his way through a rack of 8-ball
on a barbox and run out touching nothing but object balls. It was like he used a road map. Sweet.

C.Milian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When something happens that counters intuition, the breakthrough feeling is giant because you know you worked so hard just to get there. The barriers are so high that your might break.