Update to my Garage / Pool Room.

gdc25

I call 'em like I see 'em
Silver Member
It's been a while since I posted here, but for some reason I felt the need to share this.

Since I've moved into the house i'm in now, I've had to use the Garage for double duty, one as a Garage and the other as a place to play pool.. aka pool room. The biggest issue I've had is that during the summer month, bugs are a huge issue. Up to last evening I've tried buying the biggest bug light I could find, which helped. I've bought those screens that attach with Velcro, which helped, but neither worked as well as I would have liked.

I searched the internet and found several ideas that might have worked, but... I'm kind of a DIY person when I can be.. although I'm no craftsman.

So I decided I was going to frame a temporary/removable screen wall for the garage door opening. I wanted it to be 3 pieces, with a channel along the top and sides of the garage door opening. The idea being that the two outer panels would slide into there spots and then when the middle piece is in place all the would lock together in some way.

So without further adieu...

I would be amiss if I didn't post the obligatory picture of the "truck load of materials."

picture.php

To manage weight (that whole removable thing), I framed this thing out of 2x2's. This is the first section being framed out.
picture.php

I really thought about "feather striping" in the screen, but I don't have a table saw to cut the channels and staples are cheaper. Plan is, in the very near future, to put some sort of veneer over the staples.

picture.php

First panel test fit. It was here that I realized that I needed to go back to the hardware store to get some sort of handles to be able to move these things around.

picture.php

I got on a role, and forgot to take progress pictures after this. This is and inside view of the rough product in place. Still need to fill in some gaps.

picture.php

View from outside, still needs some paint. You can see the above mentioned handles to make moving the panels easier, and the barrel bolts that snaps the structure into place.

picture.php

Garage Door closed!

picture.php

So, who wants to come paint this thing?

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the results. Its sound (no wobble) when it's together and the panels aren't so big/heavy that they can't be moved when I need the garage for it's intended purpose.

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Very creative, gdc. Nice work.
I assume this arrangement will be for Spring, Summer, Fall? :smile:

I'd help with the painting but, you know, the arthritis and all. Ahem.

gdc25

I call 'em like I see 'em
Silver Member
I assume this arrangement will be for Spring, Summer, Fall?

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, tonight whatever.

Thanks to a forgetful buddy, there's a portable air conditioner as well... So if it gets to hot outside, garage door comes down. Kerosene heater for cold winter days.

With the setup now... I can remove the panels and have my truck in there in no more than 10 minutes.

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
Cool setup,

I'm renting a house but sealed up the garage for a pool room. I bought seen a.c.and ran the exhaust through the attic access. I will have to post some pics. I also lasted down a carpet.