Ed Kelly Passes

know it all

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It saddens my heart that Good friend and mentor Ed Champange Kelly passed away Jan 12 at the age of 80 with a bout with cancer. He lived in Las Vegas and that is were he left this world to live on in our memory's and hearts. My heart breaks for I know what you went through as myself now. Eddie you were my real idol. I remember the last sands tournament you and me were in the stands and said they are young but don't have the knowledge I got,then you win in reno .Gonna go now thanks to all the pool community ,cue makers,case makers, and people that I met you all were a piece of my life. Billy Stroud you made the best cue ever BAR NONE.You always took care of me, my friend.You should be in the cue makers hall of fame! Good night and bye. Rich Ford.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ed Kelly elevated pool to an art form imo. He made the game look so beautiful the way he moved gracefully around the table, and eased into his stance and gently caressed that cue stick. I loved watching him play. He had the most beautiful way of stroking his cue and shooting. In each shot he painted another picture. No one quite like him, that's for sure. Only Marvin had as sweet a stroke. And both lefties!

I was just saying to Pat Fleming it's a shame we didn't have Accu-Stats making videos back then. I could watch Kelly and Marvin play all day, even if they were practicing. Denny was my favorite right handed player for having a beautiful stroke and way of hitting the balls. He also could caress those balls into the pockets. I envied how smooth and delicately he hit everything. It seemed like he never had to pound a ball.

I miss Eddie too. Thanks for remembering him.

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rich, are you saying you have cancer too?

If it shows up on a PET scan, then it's the type that feeds on glucose, as most do. I urge you to look into the ketogenic diet for cancer.

Diet here is a four letter word. This is really a metabolic therapy for managing the disease, not a diet.

My wife has stage 4 breast cancer so I put us both on a VERY low carb ketogenic diet, to deprive the cancer of as much glucose as we can.

Her second PET scan showed a huge drop in glucose uptake by the tumors.

It's hard to do, but not too bad once you get into it. Your body is used to using glucose as fuel. Glucose burns quickly, that's why you get hungry every couple of hours. Most people eat three meals a day plus three snacks.

It takes time for the body to re-program itself to using fat. Once you have switched over to fat burning, you can go all day without eating. Your liver breaks the fat down into "ketones", which are a fuel normal cells can use, but cancer can't use ketones.

Watch any youtube interviews of Dr. Thomas Seyfried and Dr. Dominic D'Agastino.

All the best to you.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is the Hall of Fame induction citation:

Edwin Kelly was born in Waterbury, Connecticut, on May 17, 1938. He learned to play billiards by watching the locals and practicing 12 hours a day. If he ever saw a shot that he hadn’t seen before, he’d stop the game and insist that his opponent show him how it was done.

Mr. Kelly entered the 1963 Johnston City World All-Around, placing second to Luther “Wimpy” Lassiter. Excerpts of their final match were shown on national television. But road trips were still necessary to supplement a player’s income, and he traveled with Eddie Taylor, Alvin Clarence "Titanic" Thompson and Ronnie Allen.

He was crowned the World 9-Ball Champion in 1965, and in 1966, he won the 9-Ball and One Pocket divisions of the Johnson City World All-Around Championships. In 1969, he won the L.A. Open World Pocket Billiard (14.1) Championship and in 1971, he won the One Pocket title and All-Around World Championship title.

Over the years, Mr. Kelly became friends with Fred Astaire and James Caan, and he knew Peter Falk and Richard Conte, Hollywood stars who frequented the West Coast events. With his dapper attire, movie star looks and brash confidence, he fit in perfectly with the elite movie crowd. This lifestyle and his “smooth” play earned him the nickname “Champagne Eddie."

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ed Kelly elevated pool to an art form imo. He made the game look so beautiful the way he moved gracefully around the table, and eased into his stance and gently caressed that cue stick. I loved watching him play. He had the most beautiful way of stroking his cue and shooting. In each shot he painted another picture. No one quite like him, that's for sure. Only Marvin had as sweet a stroke. And both lefties!

I was just saying to Pat Fleming it's a shame we didn't have Accu-Stats making videos back then. I could watch Kelly and Marvin play all day, even if they were practicing. Denny was my favorite right handed player for having a beautiful stroke and way of hitting the balls. He also could caress those balls into the pockets. I envied how smooth and delicately he hit everything. It seemed like he never had to pound a ball.

I miss Eddie too. Thanks for remembering him.

So sorry for Ed's passing. RIP. Jay, please write Marvin's and Denny's last names?
thanks,

bstroud

Deceased
Rich,

Sorry to hear about Kelly.

He was a great player.

Hope you have luck with your cancer as I have.

Bill S.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Janscos

At the age on 19 in 1968 I got to see this mans play style for the first time.... never did tho see him lock horns with one player...., ring games, and match play he was always the winner it seemed. He had a style of play, that was smoother looking than Glen Atwell, and a smile and a game that were distinct.

Sharp dresser....One thing I do remember in the back room ring game was this, his attitude/subtle humor.

Ring Game;
So he's running out, he was working on a 3 pack $50 a man 5 handed game. He played 5 rail shape on a ball, when it came to rest he complained/in jest/Smile, that the ball came up 2'' short of his shape, even tho he had perfect table position. He of course ran out, and I think this is when Boston Shorty had just jumped in the game before the Package :).

The short one as us college kids called him, finally got his FIRST shot after paying off 5 times....he was hooked and he said....''this is the shits''. :p

To his family and loved ones, he was neat man. As one player said, ''rackem up St. Peter here I come''. I can still his smile, was lucky to of been in that area in my youth. RIP

Last edited:

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Champagne Eddie had great style and one of the best strokes
ever.. as Jay said, I wish there was some HQ video of him playing..
a true original!

Rich, god speed with your health concerns, sir !