John Barton us open ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My best weapon has always been my mouth, my words and clear thinking. Looking someone in the eye and telling them the truth has power. That said, dealing with inebriated people can be very challenging if you own a poolroom. The trick is getting them out of there before they become a problem. Ten years of experience dealing with assholes helps!

I found that providing a nice atmosphere/environment is the best preventive measure you can take in owning a business. People tend to act accordingly, depending on where they are. In a dump you can expect trouble on a regular basis. I rarely had as many as one fight per year in the poolrooms I owned. Always over a girl or money. :rolleyes:

Jay, not many people, not even the biggest of idiots will stand against strong character very long.

A person with strong character/ethics usually has a way of controlling the "character challenged".

know it all

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jb cases

John my friend! God is on your side ,me and you are family.Thats what you told me! Just remember Buddy ,and what you did! Ok! You are a kind hearted person with compassion. Be strong God will show you the way!
We need more people that do care about their product and what it stands for today .You Karen and your family!. Thanks you again John in more ways than one.What you did came from your heart! Your friend always
The Skunk ,Rich Ford! Love ya Brother!
Get a Bible and have him swear on it see who goes to hell them!

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
John my friend! God is on your side ,me and you are family.Thats what you told me! Just remember Buddy ,and what you did! Ok! You are a kind hearted person with compassion. Be strong God will show you the way!
We need more people that do care about their product and what it stands for today .You Karen and your family!. Thanks you again John in more ways than one.What you did came from your heart! Your friend always
The Skunk ,Rich Ford! Love ya Brother!
Get a Bible and have him swear on it see who goes to hell them!

Thank you! A bible will be provided for the deacon to swear on. Thank you also for the conversation and insight and again for your support.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
It will be interesting to see how the rugged case will evolve in the case making industry as many will incorporate this line.

If you mean how the JB Cases Rugged (tm) Model will evolve the answer is that it evolves every day. The competition on the other hand making look-a-alike cases aren't even as good as the first generation Rugged (tm) models that we first made in 2010.

No other company makes a case that is on par with the JB Cases Rugged Models. Not that I have found when dissecting them at least.

JB Cases are built to protect your cue and our model names are trademarked to protect you from fraudulent sellers and unscrupulous trolls trying to trick you by hijacking the Rugged (tm) name. Those people don't care about you and whether or not the knockoffs contain razor blades, loose nails, inadequate padding, liners that don't extend all the way, and more dangerous construction inside the cavities. Nope an unscrupulous and unethical person would try to genericize our model name Rugged (tm) in order to attempt to fool you into thinking that you're getting an actual JB Cases Rugged Model case.

But we have you covered Hank. Just go the actual trademarked brand, JB Cases and you don't have worry about it. Of course if you feel the need to go through several of the JB Cases Rugged Model KNOCKOFFS out there before investing in the actual JB Cases Rugged Model then that is of course your choice. When their warranty, if one exists, runs out then ours will still be covering every JB Case owner for life.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
The top case is clearly marked as an Acme case, so what's the problem here? I just don't get it John. The quality of your cases stand for themselves and pool players have enough sense to know what they are buying and why. Some may chose to go for the less expensive option for purely monetary reasons and I don't blame them for that.

Chinese manufactures have been copying designer merchandise for decades now (as you well know) and there is no way to stop this practice, other than intercepting the shipments at the ports of entry. I'm sure there are counterfeit copies of your cases being made and sold in China with your name and logo on them. Why not go after the real counterfeiters and leave Mike alone to do his thing. He doesn't appear to be hurting your business model, at least not as much as you are doing by giving him all this free publicity.

I would advise you that this thread has become the best free advertising Acme has ever gotten on here. He should be thanking you.

There are NO counterfeit copies of our case being made in China with our logo on them.

We own our Trademark for America and China and all points in between. Our dealers in China do a good job of informing us of every knockoff they find and we would also know if there were any counterfeits out there.

We are not hurting our business model at all. This past week our booth stayed busy while his was empty.

My business model is this: Build high quality cases. Charge a fair price. Back them up with a lifetime warranty. Be honest and hold competitors accountable for their claims. Give good service to good customers. Fire unreasonable customers. Enjoy our lives.

So far we are doing fine with this business model. I am ok with giving CRAPME some recognition because I do believe that when I am done that recognition will add to their growing reputation for low quality and lack of cue protection.

The problem is not the appearance. Getting knocked off is part of every innovator's life. The problem is what the sellers SAY about their product. No one EVER tells the knockoff artist to "let the product speak for itself". Nope, the knockoff artist can make every false claim they want but the innovator isn't allowed to debunk those claims?

I don't mind putting brands on blast if I think that they deserve it. At the end of the day, competition is SUPPOSED to provide the best product at the lowest cost. When a seller LIES to customers and provides a crappy product that is intended to fool consumers into believing they are getting a major discount off of a superior product then the seller is being fraudulent in my opinion. I refuse to stop talking about those types of sellers.

And by the same token, anyone can criticize me and I will answer that criticism. I don't really understand why people take issue with having their claims inspected. I don't understand why ANYONE would criticize me for criticizing a competitor. It's competition, not kumbaya. In business, competition means COMPETING for disposable income.

If this were a simple race and one competitor was found to be cheating by another competitor then no one would be mad for the cheater being exposed. But when it's business apparently it's a major sin to expose shady (and sometimes illegal) practices if the information comes from a competitor.

Do you want to know WHY I can't be successfully sued by any of my competitors whom I have publicly criticized? Because they would have to prove that what I said was not true and that I maliciously used false information to damage their reputation. But since the information I provide is TRUE then they have no case and they certainly don't want me to prove in court and then use the public records against them.

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I don’t see a problem because look at these great cases and players using this Rugged alpine sports series, whatever you guys want to call it, and promoting it. Looks very sporty and professional with the color combos.

https://m.facebook.com/OmegaBilliar...857425/?type=3&source=57&refid=52&__tn__=EH-R

It promotes these type of cases.

I haven't looked at the link but nowhere do they say Rugged(TM) on their ads. So you are incorrect that they are described as Rugged model cases. Rugged is the TRADEMARKED name of one of our model lines. The cases you linked to however are KNOCKOFFS of the JB Cases RUGGED(tm) line as you have pointed out many times and thank you for your testimony to that effect.

The seller of those cases wants to bet me $50,000 that they are not knockoffs and not derivative from the JB Cases Rugged models. Your public statements to the contrary will be used in conjunction with the statements of many others to win any bet, arbitration, or court case where one of the disputed points is whether or not the cases you linked to are knockoffs.

And if you like the pretty colors then you like them because either us or our customers created those color combinations. You're welcome.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
And a lot of those people didn't BUY the case. They were given a case. Unless we are actually paying money to a pro we don't say we sponsor them or use their name in association with our product.

I will defer to the cue maker who once advertised thusly, "we don't pay any players to use our cues. If you see a good player using our cues then they paid us."

If I give away a case now it's pretty much only because I am a pool fan and want to give away a case to a pro who I like. I tell them explicitly that I do NOT expect any endorsement from them nor will I use their names in advertisements.

So, while I can also produce a much longer list of pros and billiard luminaries who own and use our cases, there is no need to do that because I don't have to BEG the public to purchase JB Cases because someone with a "name" uses one. Instead I say to people, ask your friends who own a JB Case if you can look at their case and if you think that what I have told you about the quality, protection, features and benefits is true then tell us what you want and we will build it.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't looked at the link but nowhere do they say Rugged(TM) on their ads. So you are incorrect that they are described as Rugged model cases. Rugged is the TRADEMARKED name of one of our model lines. The cases you linked to however are KNOCKOFFS of the JB Cases RUGGED(tm) line as you have pointed out many times and thank you for your testimony to that effect.

The seller of those cases wants to bet me $50,000 that they are not knockoffs and not derivative from the JB Cases Rugged models. Your public statements to the contrary will be used in conjunction with the statements of many others to win any bet, arbitration, or court case where one of the disputed points is whether or not the cases you linked to are knockoffs.

And if you like the pretty colors then you like them because either us or our customers created those color combinations. You're welcome.
i have yet to see any color combo of yours or his I hadn't seen before, yours has 3 pouches , he's got two , zippers are different, rings are different, straps are different,extra band on yours at the bottom . Yours is zipped zipper removed on the side , thiers doesn't have that , unless your a blind man you can clearly see the differences from many feet away ,
It's clear they are similar but certainly not a clone

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

you don't think hank might be trolling you by mentioning other brands of rugged cases in every post?

SJpilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JB are you gonna be at the Cal Billiards tournament again this year? I'll probably order something custom and pick it up there if you guys can turn it around by then.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They look similar to me unless there are fine details that I missed or I just looked passed it. Acme advertises them as their Sports/Alpine line and JB advertises his as Rugged.

This style of case has to have a name. We can either call it Acme Rugged or JB Case Sport, whatever just throwing it out there, just like Fellini, not sure about my spelling, is considered a style.

I’m more inclined to give credit to the inventor or designer so it’s a Rugged case, therefore I believe there will be many Rugged cases from imitators. Not necessarily using the trademark but as reference.

“Have you seen the new Acme Rugged?” It only implies JB Case style and not his trademark. I asked a guy at the pool hall about it and he’s never heard of it but as soon as I said it’s basically a JB Rugged then he immediately knew what the case would look like and how it protects with the nice cushion shaft and butt tunnels.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
They look similar to me unless there are fine details that I missed or I just looked passed it. Acme advertises them as their Sports/Alpine line and JB advertises his as Rugged.

This style of case has to have a name. We can either call it Acme Rugged or JB Case Sport, whatever just throwing it out there, just like Fellini, not sure about my spelling, is considered a style.

I’m more inclined to give credit to the inventor or designer so it’s a Rugged case, therefore I believe there will be many Rugged cases from imitators. Not necessarily using the trademark but as reference.

“Have you seen the new Acme Rugged?” It only implies JB Case style and not his trademark. I asked a guy at the pool hall about it and he’s never heard of it but as soon as I said it’s basically a JB Rugged then he immediately knew what the case would look like and how it protects with the nice cushion shaft and butt tunnels.

You can use "Rugged style" if you want to. But if any competing brand uses it then we will sue them for trademark infringement. Ford does not advertise a car called a "Corvette Style" car.

No other company advertises "Coke style" cola. If you use the trademark that belongs to other companies in your advertising then you have a potential problem depending on how it was used.

The fact that you can say to another person it's "like the JB Rugged (tm)" and he immediately knows what you mean is an example of trade dress. When consumers identify knockoffs by the item knocked off then the case that the trade dress was infringed becomes that much stronger. So again, thank you for your help in this area.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
JB are you gonna be at the Cal Billiards tournament again this year? I'll probably order something custom and pick it up there if you guys can turn it around by then.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

We won't be there.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
i have yet to see any color combo of yours or his I hadn't seen before, yours has 3 pouches , he's got two , zippers are different, rings are different, straps are different,extra band on yours at the bottom . Yours is zipped zipper removed on the side , thiers doesn't have that , unless your a blind man you can clearly see the differences from many feet away ,
It's clear they are similar but certainly not a clone

Lol. Ok. Maybe you should apply to be his attorney.

I think you should scroll back through the thread a bit. And perhaps do some research on derivative design, confusion, trade dress, etc....

And color combos you haven't seen before? I presume you mean before we created the Rugged Model? As in "nothing new under the sun" type of sentiment? Sort of an if you have seen a rainbow then you have seen all the colors that exist type of thing? Not sure where you are going with it......

ACNE cases "FLAGship" case is the blue white and red one with the US Flag patch sewn on it. That particular case was directly ripped off from a customer's design. Aside from the odd choice of model name "Alpine" to describe a case designed to pull the patriotic heartstrings, it is a clear ripoff of Kristi's design.

Attachments

• window banner.jpg
    window banner.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can use "Rugged style" if you want to. But if any competing brand uses it then we will sue them for trademark infringement. Ford does not advertise a car called a "Corvette Style" car.

No other company advertises "Coke style" cola. If you use the trademark that belongs to other companies in your advertising then you have a potential problem depending on how it was used.

The fact that you can say to another person it's "like the JB Rugged (tm)" and he immediately knows what you mean is an example of trade dress. When consumers identify knockoffs by the item knocked off then the case that the trade dress was infringed becomes that much stronger. So again, thank you for your help in this area.

Don’t know how much of a help I can provide besides marketing 101 during my university days. Just bringing what I see happening with cues and other examples I’ve mentioned in my previous post.

Open dialogue is good because if your case/design are inspirations to others then there has to be a term for this style hence “Rugged style”. This is just in regards to design.

Again, we as customers, have to compare the two brands for protection, fit and finish. That goes beyond some name confusion.

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Don’t know how much of a help I can provide besides marketing 101 during my university days. Just bringing what I see happening with cues and other examples I’ve mentioned in my previous post.

Open dialogue is good because if your case/design are inspirations to others then there has to be a term for this style hence “Rugged style”. This is just in regards to design.

Again, we as customers, have to compare the two brands for protection, fit and finish. That goes beyond some name confusion.

Understood. But every single time I come across anyone saying "ACNE Rugged" I have to correct them or risk diluting the model to a generic style. It is not a generic style it is a specific style created by a specific designer and called a specific thing.

There is no such thing as an ACNE Rugged case. There is an ACNE model that significantly emulates (Knocks off) the JB Cases Rugged look while falling far short on quality and protection.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol. Ok. Maybe you should apply to be his attorney.

I think you should scroll back through the thread a bit. And perhaps do some research on derivative design, confusion, trade dress, etc....
I doubt he needs much of one , We shall see how it works out for ya , there are others that look close also you know who they are I'm also sure Mike and his Lawyer's no that also , It's simply a observation of mine I got no dog in the fight you win good for you

Status
Not open for further replies.