A dream realized

gdc25

I call 'em like I see 'em
Silver Member
Ever since I inherited the contents of my Grandfathers pool room (That's the 2 of us, shooting on his table, in my avatar), I've wanted to convert one of the cues that I and the other 18 grandkids used as kids when we would visit.

Right before Thanksgiving 2018, I decided to go ahead and trust someone to do just that. I asked for recomendations of local builders, and settled on a younger person within 40 minutes of my home (Where I live, that's another State, 3 counties away).

So, Without further ado...

picture.php

Here is some of the equipment that we had to choose from. The builder actually took 4 cues with him so that he could get good, straight material.

picture.php

The middle, Tru Balance, cue is the one we selected for the finished product. You can kind of tell the poor condition of the butt end from this photo.

(Note: Grandma placed our names on cues using medical tape, to keep us from fighting over "who got to use which cue". The residue is still on some of them).

picture.php

The finished product. We decided that due to the size of the original cue, that we would go with a break cue.

He said that it took him almost a month to finish sealing the cue so he could begin work.

picture.php

picture.php

2 shafts were made. One with a G-10 break tip, the other with a Penolic ferrule and a leather tip, just in case I wanted to play with it.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

It's a beast, but it hits like a sledge hammer.

All in all, I'm very happy with the work. And I smile everytime I pull that cue out of my bag.

I did ask if he was ready to convert that butterfly into a player, but he said he wanted to wait until he forgot how tough the last build was. LOL

Last edited:

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
The wood grain looks awesome!!

Please be sure to post pictures once the butterfly cue is done. :grin: