Misconception About Follow Through

Sharivari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can remember that one day a player came over and told me to follow through the cueball. He said the tip and the cueball will then be longer in contact and I will get more rotation on the cueball. I practiced it and it worked great.

But a few years later I have a different opinion. I claim that we are doing this to get a better timing on the shot and not to have longer contact with the cueball. To prove my point I made a short video with slow motion footage and some graphics to explain everything.

https://youtu.be/oAfWJsKLouw

Follow.png

I would love to hear your opinions on this topic.

Shari

Scherf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think the tip stays in contact any longer at all. You follow through so your stroke stays consistent through contact and there for online. If you just poke at the ball, your arm will tense up at contact and thus throwing your shot in various directions.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think the tip stays in contact any longer at all. You follow through so your stroke stays consistent through contact and there for online. If you just poke at the ball, your arm will tense up at contact and thus throwing your shot in various directions.
I agree. It assures a forceful, positive on-line strike. Watch 3c players. They can get stupid action with almost zero follow-thru when needed. FT doesn't impact spin.

Last edited:

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
The Tip stays in contact with the cue ball for 1/1000 of a second. what the cue stick does after that has no effect on the shot.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

I agree. It assures a forceful, positive on-line strike. Watch 3c players. They can get stupid action with almost zero follow-thru when needed. FT doesn't impact spin.

The Tip stays in contact with the cue ball for 1/1000 of a second. what the cue stick does after that has no effect on the shot.
These comments are true - they're also what Sharivari says in his video.

pj
chgo

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good video. I think a lot of us know that tip contact time isn't increased (despite some debate about it!), but I liked the explanation of how it is involved in timing. I don't think I've seen it explained quite like that before, as an alternative to the "increased tip contact time" idea.

I do not think timing is fully determined by follow-through, though. I don't think the video says that either, but I wonder what other techniques can be used to improve timing. I think my timing on my break could be better, but I'm not quite sure what to do to improve it, or even how to know for sure whether your timing is early or late or right on.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Good video. I think a lot of us know that tip contact time isn't increased (despite some debate about it!), but I liked the explanation of how it is involved in timing. I don't think I've seen it explained quite like that before, as an alternative to the "increased tip contact time" idea.

I do not think timing is fully determined by follow-through, though. I don't think the video says that either, but I wonder what other techniques can be used to improve timing. I think my timing on my break could be better, but I'm not quite sure what to do to improve it, or even how to know for sure whether your timing is early or late or right on.
I notice lots of good breakers choke up on the cue for breaking (grip it forward of their usual place). I imagine this is a timing thing: they don't reach full stroke speed until a little after the "bottom" of their pendulum stroke.

pj
chgo

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another way to describe it is that the follow-through is a symptom of a good, accelerating stroke into the CB. If there is limited follow-through, that is a symptom of poor stroke delivery into the CB (e.g., decelerating into the CB, or adding tension during the stroke). For more info, see:

follow-through resource page

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I notice lots of good breakers choke up on the cue for breaking (grip it forward of their usual place). I imagine this is a timing thing: they don't reach full stroke speed until a little after the "bottom" of their pendulum stroke.
This is more of a bio-mechanics thing (mostly shoulder leverage with body lift and elbow drop, also using the strong range of elbow flex) rather than a "timing" thing. For an explanation, see the videos and articles here:

break technique advice resource page

Enjoy,
Dave

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another way to describe it is that the follow-through is a symptom of a good, accelerating stroke into the CB. If there is limited follow-through, that is a symptom of poor stroke delivery into the CB (e.g., decelerating into the CB, or adding tension during the stroke). For more info, see:

Regards,
Dave
I think this is the correct explanation- follow through is a result of delivering the cue stick to the cue ball with full relaxation of the muscles involved. This is true in most sports - being relaxed at the point of execution (bodily) while being focused simultaneously by sight produces optimum results. That muscle relaxation will result in the observed follow through.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is more of a bio-mechanics thing (mostly shoulder leverage with body lift and elbow drop, also using the strong range of elbow flex) rather than a "timing" thing. For an explanation, see the videos and articles here:

Enjoy,
Dave

I'm not sure about all the physics and whatnot,
but it was watching efren
where I first realized a player could get a longer/more efficient pendulum motion on their break stroke
by choking up on the cue
a result of choking up seems to be potential for
a more comfortable stroke, more power, and control

I admittedly forgot about this, I think because
1. my break is decent
but also
2. I'm now realizing my cue balance point being further back
has subconsciously prevented me from taking advantage of the benefits of choking up

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

I'm not sure about all the physics and whatnot
The videos and articles on the page explain and demonstrate it fairly clearly if you are interested.

I'm now realizing my cue balance point being further back has subconsciously prevented me from taking advantage of the benefits of choking up
If you use a closed bridge on the break, it shouldn't matter.

Regards,
Dave

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Regards,
Dave
Dr Dave, after contact what happens to the cue is completely irrelevant correct? Once the cueball leaves, follow through doesn’t change a thing. It’s just good mechanics for repeating a decent stroke correct?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Dr Dave, after contact what happens to the cue is completely irrelevant correct? Once the cueball leaves, follow through doesn’t change a thing. It’s just good mechanics for repeating a decent stroke correct?
That's correct. Check out the resource page. It describes everything in detail.

Regards,
Dave

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's well said. Good mechanics generally produce a good follow thru.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member

Except tip contact time can increase or decrease: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH2PHaGl8Ik&t=3m27s

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The videos and articles on the page explain and demonstrate it fairly clearly if you are interested.

If you use a closed bridge on the break, it shouldn't matter.

Regards,
Dave

hi dave, thanks for the shout and links
I do often use an open bridge on the break
but even if I were to use a closed bridge
I wouldn't want to depend on that to keep my cue down
I'd rather the balance point just be in the right place
that said, I've still yet to possess a cue with a forward-facing balance point
so while that might be good for choking up on the cue
I'm not sure how that would affect the rest of my game
my next cue I hope to find out

ps really enjoyed the new sidespin vid
I like the combination of diagrams and footage of actual play
and as always
the expert commentary:thumbup:
thanks again

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Another benefit of good follow through is staying down on the shot. We all know how badly jumping/standing up can affect a stroke/shot. Good info here! Thanks for sharing!