Willie Mosconi - Did he use a Rambo most of the time

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

I , Like a lot of you guy's study the Great's and try to see what edge they had or how their talent showed thru , to borrow a line from the TCM '' I am Student of Human Moves " . Willie Mosconi proved thru his Career to be one of the Best . I guess all he did was Play Pool. I have not read were he worked another field. All of his greatest Accomplishment's was done with a Rambo cue if I had read that right. The Balabushka did not come along until later. I guess my question is to someone who would know , did Willie play most of his career with a Rambo or did he use the Balabushka as we'll. I wonder how many cue he had he did not play with. towards the end of his career was he playing with a Balabushka when he done the exhibitions. Is there any pic's of him with his Balabushka . I have watched the match between Willie and Fat's several times trying to see what cue Willie is using . Thanks for any help .

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

I , Like a lot of you guy's study the Great's and try to see what edge they had or how their talent showed thru , to borrow a line from the TCM '' I am Student of Human Moves " . Willie Mosconi proved thru his Career to be one of the Best . I guess all he did was Play Pool. I have not read were he worked another field. All of his greatest Accomplishment's was done with a Rambo cue if I had read that right. The Balabushka did not come along until later. I guess my question is to someone who would know , did Willie play most of his career with a Rambo or did he use the Balabushka as we'll. I wonder how many cue he had he did not play with. towards the end of his career was he playing with a Balabushka when he done the exhibitions. Is there any pic's of him with his Balabushka . I have watched the match between Willie and Fat's several times trying to see what cue Willie is using . Thanks for any help .

I think his favorite and most used cue was a Rambow.

I think his career was on the tail end when Balabushka started becoming the preferred cue.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whatever cue he used he probably got it from the Sears catalog. Have you guys seen all the stuff it has. WOW!

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tim Scruggs told me in the 80s that he had recently made 4 shafts for Willie Masconi. He didn't like any of them. He sent him some more and he didn't like those either. Tim told him to find a different cue maker to make his shafts.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was playing a Balabushka when I l visited with him in the 80s
he offered it to me for $2700 I think,no more than $3000

I declined the offer,no one has accused me of being smart since that time.

He did sign a few pictures and a set of pool balls 16.

I ended up giving most of that stuff away,I never seem to enjoy collecting

I even gave away my Babe Ruth/Lou Gehrig picture away no wonder I don't have all thise beautiful cues that slipped through my fingers

Bushwacker cue is even for sale and I really liked him

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member

Is there any pic's of him with his Balabushka . I have watched the match between Willie and Fat's several times trying to see what cue Willie is using . Thanks for any help .

Heres a vid of Willie playing with his famous Bushka that sold a while ago for just shy of 100k.

https://youtu.be/Yym21l9_Z3U

I love how he throws the cue around and bangs and rakes balls with it very haphazard like. He was all business about pocketing balls and the cue was a distant second and was just a tool.

I've also heard he played with a Rambo for the majority of his career.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice video, his running this two racks in the mid point of the video were just so effortless - you can just see his command of the cue ball and the table, even though he was long, long retired from competition. He doesn't spend much time thinking, just looks very automatic for him.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

I , Like a lot of you guy's study the Great's and try to see what edge they had or how their talent showed thru , to borrow a line from the TCM '' I am Student of Human Moves " . Willie Mosconi proved thru his Career to be one of the Best . I guess all he did was Play Pool. I have not read were he worked another field. All of his greatest Accomplishment's was done with a Rambo cue if I had read that right.

Great, thanks for this visual in my head now, thanks a lot....

rambo-the-first-blood-part-ii.jpg

I have to say for the pro level players, there is very very little of their accomplishments that have to do with their equipment, more of what their sponsors are and what they liked the feel of.
It's nice to know for history and just knowledge of who uses or used what, but to try to copy them for your own improvement with copying the cue they used is not a good plan. Which is why I usually snicker a bit at questions about break cues especially and which one makes more balls or if one shaft is "better" than another or "how does the cue play". A cue does not play good or bad, if has a hit feel and what it does as far as deflection, squirt, cueball action, whatever. But what it does has to match the player, or the player needs to adjust to the shaft, so there is no "better" shaft. I've seen decent players use one of those Cuetec fiberglass shafts that to me hits like a steel rod but they were fine using it and took years to change.

"There is no secret ingredient". But there is a "thing that you like" that exists for everyone.

Last edited: