Spiral Staircase Points: 8 Points in 2 Patterns: Random Lengths

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I have sent photos to a member and requested that he post them. I plan to get 35mm shots made today. Also, I wrote the "alleged" cuemaker last night to see if he is the maker.

Meanwhile, and I realize everyone wants to see a photo, has anyone ever seen a cue with points of deliberately random lengths?

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Quick reply..........no...to spiral by design.
Not to say it was never done, just never heard of it.

Will Prout

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have sent photos to a member and requested that he post them. I plan to get 35mm shots made today. Also, I wrote the "alleged" cuemaker last night to see if he is the maker.

Meanwhile, and I realize everyone wants to see a photo, has anyone ever seen a cue with points of deliberately random lengths?

what is the length difference in the one we are discussing? Some deviation isn't abnormal, but it would be a small% difference.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Pattern A: Difference of 3cm
Pattern B: Difference of 2cm

Pattern A: Longest Point/Veneer 22 cm and Shortest Point/Veneer 19 cm
Pattern B: Longest Point/Veneer 13.5 cm and Shortest Point/Veneer 11.5 cm

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Sum of all attachments owned by Biloxi Boy: 2.94 MB" and a red bar appear when I attempt to "manage attachments" while replying.

I have had the same problem...Your photo has to be under 2.00MB. Check photo details on you camera. It will indicate the number of MB. If it is over 2.00 use your camera setting and reduce the pixels.Then retake the picture and check if you are under the maximum MB. If you are under, the photo should be accepted to your post.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Compare the lengths and composition of the "red" points/veneers.

Compare the lengths of the "orange" points/veneers.

In normal composition the patterns would be almost identical in composition and length.
Normal length difference is accidental and would be measured in mm not cm.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know y'all like that Imgur. I just don't know why.
Forgive me.

IMG_230620_181511.jpg
IMG_230620_181502.jpg
IMG_230620_181452.jpg
IMG_230620_181443.jpg
IMG_230620_181433.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know y'all like that Imgur. I just don't know why.
Forgive me.
Since several people seem to be having trouble with the image posting issue, let me expand on this point a little.

If you use a third-party image hosting site, the image is likely to go away. This has happened for posts on AZB with multiple third-party sites. If the image is important to the discussion and you feel the discussion is important or interesting, it is best to upload the image to AZB.

There are many ways to reduce the size of an image. Perhaps the easiest is to use a screen-capture tool on a PC. Make the image a reasonable size in any viewer app you like -- perhaps half the width of the screen -- and then capture the part of the screen that you want to share.

One such free tool is called "cropper". It lets you set all four sides on the part of the screen you want to capture, so you also get a cropped image for free. Any image of a reasonable size that you can capture from your screen will be a small enough file to be accepted by AZB. A full-screen image on a 4096-wide monitor is not a reasonable size.;)

The images Michael uploaded are about 0.15MB each, and they look fine.

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Since several people seem to be having trouble with the image posting issue, let me expand on this point a little.

If you use a third-party image hosting site, the image is likely to go away. This has happened for posts on AZB with multiple third-party sites. If the image is important to the discussion and you feel the discussion is important or interesting, it is best to upload the image to AZB.

There are many ways to reduce the size of an image. Perhaps the easiest is to use a screen-capture tool on a PC. Make the image a reasonable size in any viewer app you like -- perhaps half the width of the screen -- and then capture the part of the screen that you want to share.

One such free tool is called "cropper". It lets you set all four sides on the part of the screen you want to capture, so you also get a cropped image for free. Any image of a reasonable size that you can capture from your screen will be a small enough file to be accepted by AZB. A full-screen image on a 4096-wide monitor is not a reasonable size.;)

Ok, thanks for the lesson.

I had those images posted and linked in about 20 seconds. Cropper and going to my desktop to manage images takes significantly longer.

The website used to auto-format images, now it does not. AZB also lost a ton of images that were attached to posts, no system is perfect

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

WHaddya mean they look fine? From a picture presentation perspective or form a worked wood one (credit for 2x alliteration?!)?

I wish Mr. Webb had opined on what happened in the making of that cue. I bet he knows. I think it was a recut points experiment.

And is the light brown here a large point in the background or just striping in the wood?
attachment.php

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, thanks for the lesson.

I had those images posted and linked in about 20 seconds. Cropper and going to my desktop to manage images takes significantly longer.

The website used to auto-format images, now it does not. AZB also lost a ton of images that were attached to posts, no system is perfect

I couldn't upload them from your Imgur so I saved them to a folder and had to run them thru my Adobe. Weird.
I didn't have to resize them either but I should have tried to clean them up some. Been going at it pretty hard. I did it on a quick break.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WHaddya mean they look fine? From a picture presentation perspective or form a worked wood one (credit for 2x alliteration?!)?

I wish Mr. Webb had opined on what happened in the making of that cue. I bet he knows. I think it was a recut points experiment.

And is the light brown here a large point in the background or just striping in the wood?
attachment.php

I haven't even really looked at them yet. It was one of those save here. Run thru this and post.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
The light brown is on the "outside" of each of the "Pattern A" or "red pattern" points. I considered the light brown to be thick or wide veneers. I feel like these "points" are largely comprised of veneer/strip work.

Is it possible to have veneer insets in a point?

Last edited: