Southwest

qexpert_101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My time has come for my order from Southwest and I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on what kind of wood combinations I should use? I was thinking maybe Ebony nose with Pau Ferro points with one white veneer and a brown joint. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks :wink:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the link very helpful. What wood combanations do you think play the best?

My first one was Indian Rosewood with Maple points but you can't get the Rosewood any more. Lori told me that mine was one of the last ones. My second was Birdseye Maple with Ebony points.
Just about everything I've played with was good, I personally don't like Ebony forearms. For some reason, they seem to play different for me.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
When your time comes on that list... don't skimp... get triple laminates, all the rings and joint caps. it's your one shot. :)

They make a fine cue and have been doing it for a long time. You won't regret it.

JV

Slickstick9

Play on
Silver Member
Southwest Cues is all I know. I have played with 2 for 20+ years. I love the hit and feel. I think you will too. Don't order over the phone. Go there.:smile:

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Get something you dont see everyday. Get an ivory joint and ferrules and floating points or something. Maybe even some inlays would be really neat. Oh yeah , and an elephant ear wrap or wrapless would be cool also. :eek:

Rak9up

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel like I'm in the movie "BIG"

I don't get it....... I don't get it

I why would you pay for a "Da vinci painting" that was painted by "fred"
and pay the same price and wait just as long as if it was really was a
Da vinci.

If you have a 20 year old southwest thats different.

Its fine that they still build a good cue. But asking the same price and 12 year waiting list to boot?

I just don't get it...New Balabushka's are available today but not at the same cost as if the "master" himself had built it

Jerry Franklin was a master craftsman....Call today's company Southwestern... because whatever is being built today isn't a true southwest it didn't come from his hands and they won't hold their value the same

Just because Michael Jackson could sing doesn't mean Latoya or Tito could
sing as well.

I don't mean to offend anyone I just don't get it

I'm glad their keeping the comany alive but how do you justify the same prices and why the same hype and waiting list still today

I mean you don't hype Bob Meucci cues made in china the same as if it was really built by his own hands now do you do you?

hdgis1

So you have been on "The" waiting list for how long? And you have no idea what kind of cue you want? Sometimes you guys on here crack me up!!!!:grin-square:

Chris

My time has come for my order from Southwest and I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on what kind of wood combinations I should use? I was thinking maybe Ebony nose with Pau Ferro points with one white veneer and a brown joint. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks :wink:

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member

I am going through the same thing right now buddy. You would think that after the almost 11 years I have been waiting that I would know exactly what the hell I wanted to the tee but I am stumped..

CMD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Da vinci.

Its fine that they still build a good cue. But asking the same price and 12 year waiting list to boot?

I just don't get it...New Balabushka's are available today but not at the same cost as if the "master" himself had built it

Jerry Franklin was a master craftsman....Call today's company Southwestern... because whatever is being built today isn't a true southwest it didn't come from his hands and they won't hold their value the same

sing as well.

I'm glad their keeping the comany alive but how do you justify the same prices and why the same hype and waiting list still today

I mean you don't hype Bob Meucci cues made in china the same as if it was really built by his own hands now do you do you?

Please tell me you are kidding. You are comparing South West without Jerry Franklin to present day Balabushka's? It's name only!!!!

South West makes cues in the same manner as when Mr. Franklin was alive. The same people work there. If anything, they are a better company today than in the past.

I am shocked by your comparison!

Sir, you need to get your facts straight before you speak on a subject such as this.

Chris

qexpert_101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
design

I can tell you I know want I wanted 10 years ago but since then my choice of woods and combinations have changed a lot. :eek:

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member

Da vinci.

sing as well.

I'm glad their keeping the company alive but how do you justify the same prices and why the same hype and waiting list still today

Jerry did not turn out every cue by hand, they have the same shop in the same place I would guess using the same tools with the same people that were there before. I would venture to say that if the prior statement being accurate that 20+ YEARS more experience using the same standards would yield a better cue. JM.02

CMD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What woods did you want back then? What kind of cue do you currently play with?

Chris

DogLoop

Doing some cueing ?
Silver Member

qexpert_101,

I'd say if you want the ebony forearm and you are going with that reddish brown phenolic for the joint and butt-cap, you might want macassar ebony (slightly lighter and more visible grain).
Also, if you like SW's ringwork get the rings in all places (A-E).

Have you considered a wrapless cue?

Also, to answer best playing woods; pretty much everything in the rosewood family (alves, pau ferro, purpleheart) has a nice "song" and good feedback. Players are also fond of ebony.

I never asked Laurie if they'd use pernambuco (excellent resonance)... I'm just saying.

Ultimately, get it the way YOU like it, it's YOUR turn. If the weight and shaft diameter/taper fits you, you should be golden.

-Ivan

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member

Da vinci.

sing as well.

My '08" South West plays better than any i've owned or hit with.
Very similar to my ebony nosed '01', and similar to my old Franklin.
I think that Mickey, Al, Laurie, know what they are doing, and the newer South West Cues with A-B rings and triple laminents have become extremely desireable, and they are holding their value nicely.

As far as Meucci cues are concerned I dont hype them at all, old or new.

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
Now you're talking CRAZY!

Over the years, this forum has produced some pretty ridiculous comments. But I'm happy to say that this one is now way up on the list...

Da vinci.

sing as well.