A breath of fresh air...

gdc25

I call 'em like I see 'em
Silver Member
After spending 15 years in a Indianapolis Indiana, a little over a year ago I moved back home to a very small town in Southwestern Indiana (for you history buffs, the home of William Henry Harrison and the Capitol of the Northwest territory).

For 13 months I had a hard time finding anywhere other than a bar to play locally, the only places being an hour drive away. (Note: an hour drive in Indy is a HUGE difference from an hour drive in rural America.) Anyway, to shorten this and get to the point, about a month ago I was let in on the greatest secret in this area. Across the river, in another small town in Illinois is a blast from the past. A small pool hall owned by a retired Boilermaker (the job, not the mascot).

Gentleman (and ladies), I give you... The Phoenix Pool Hall.

Once you find the place (No signs to mark the place), upon entry you feel like you've time traveled back to 1976. Except, front and center are 2 9 foot Diamond Tables. A game on these tables will set you back 50 cents.

20161230_124734_zps0iiiholz.jpg

Immediately to the right as you enter is a 10 foot (?) american snooker table (I've not looked at the brand).

20161230_124738_zpsaed54d5o.jpg

But neither the diamond tables or the american snooker table are the stars of this show.

Nestled in the back corner of this blast from the past you will find, at any time during operating hours, 5 to 10 old timers at the early 1900's era 12 foot Brunswick snooker table.

20161230_112152_zpsv2om8hkz.jpg

The following photo's were taken at yesterdays annual New Years Eve Doubles snooker tournament. Notice the mix of young and "experienced" players at the table, but in the end, experience won the day and took home the cash. :)

There was no denying that this old boy was on his home court!
20161231_135251_zpsj3stvskd.jpg

20161231_122930_zpsgb1ces8w.jpg

Home made bridge and a young 'un taking his lumps.
20161231_122912_zpsx0shrvvb.jpg

This was taken earlier in the day, when the old timers were playing a game they call "golf". Not sure the rules as I think they make them up as they go along. :)
20161231_110747_zpsqzxdq5yu.jpg

20161231_110743_zpsmpdddsgj.jpg

only allowed 10 images, to be continued in the next post.

gdc25

Silver Member
20161231_110729_zpskh7mnfdh.jpg

20161231_105855_zps2teww2tw.jpg

20161230_124719_zpsbamrasjw.jpg

Panoramic shot.
20161218_145707_zpsq5hkwefg.jpg

Don't go into this place expecting world beaters or even a game for more than the cost of the table. But if you ever do find your way there, expect to be treated like a long lost friend as soon as you walk in and to have such a good time that you will want to move next door.

I hope you enjoyed this post as much as I enjoyed making it.

gdc25

Silver Member
JAM. The town is Lawrenceville Illinois. You kinda gotta be headed somewhere else to find us, but were out here. Growing corn, and telling as many lies as the big city folk.

GoldenFlash

Banned
You're a lucky man to find a place like that.
I just moved out of a big city into a small town and the pool rooms that were here eventually went broke. The only things left are bars with all the troubles, etc. etc.
Now, the only choice I have is to drive 80 miles round trip on country 2-lane roads to find a real pool room.

JAMSGOLF

Golf & Pool-I'm addicted!
Silver Member
Great place and great post! That 12' table looks unreal! Thanks for posting the pics!

Rackemep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A breath of fresh air indeed! Looks like a great place! Be careful in that golf game! Some of the old timers I've met playing that game are pretty sneaky!

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
There is a nearly identical Brunswick Snooker table at Griff's in Las Vegas. Understand Mr. G found it in someones basement.

Wonderful pool room. There were sooooo many just like it here in Rochester, NY when I grew up. Please tell me you had to climb a flight of stairs to get there.

Thanks for the photos.

Lyn

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Thanks for the post, I will visit this room the next time I pass close. Very cool.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome thread and pictures.

First time I ever saw blue on a snooker table. Interesting

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's day one of 2017 but this gets my vote for post of the year!!! Well written and nice pics! I think I might copy this style of post if I ever come across a nice place! Well done!