Lowell Mass pool rooms

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Hi all. I'm going to be up in the Lowell Mass area, staying in Andover Sheriden I believe on Minuteman rd. Any good pool rooms to knock them around for a few hours not too far from there? Thx

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all. I'm going to be up in the Lowell Mass area, staying in Andover Sheriden I believe on Minuteman rd. Any good pool rooms to knock them around for a few hours not too far from there? Thx

Send me a PM with your phone #, near you is the Billiards Cafe in Ayer (highly recommend for atmosphere but not for high level action or play), Amazin Billiards is also close and has better players. Up North in NH is Crows Nest (8 foot diamonds, bands depending on the day) flat $10 all night rate there and good food. All 3 are about same drive from you. Depending on when you are in the area I can come up with my son and play a bit and say Hi.

Almost forgot, Grand China I think is near where you are staying also, KMRUNOUT is he guy to ask about for that place.

Last edited:

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Thx. I'm hoping to stay very close to the hotel, so I did a search on each of the ones mentioned. When I did a search for grand china, oddly on the map a place called Vinnys Billiards and arcade showed up. Seems pretty close. Ever heard of this place?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thx. I'm hoping to stay very close to the hotel, so I did a search on each of the ones mentioned. When I did a search for grand china, oddly on the map a place called Vinnys Billiards and arcade showed up. Seems pretty close. Ever heard of this place?

Nope, no clue what that place is. Don't think I have seen it mentioned ever on the forums when it comes to rooms in N.E. Looks like last active facebook entry was in mid 2016, and even then I have never heard of the place in 30 years of playing pool in N.E. LOL

Maximillians may be close to you also, never been there though. Amazin is a private club and I think their tables are often taken up with a wait, but they do have several 3C tables. There is a 12 ft snooker table in Ayer, and a 7" Diamond in the back room along with new Simonis cloth and newish rails on the regular tables.

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Yeah Grand China will be the closest to you. Right over the border in Salem, NH, maybe 8 minutes from Andover. They have 9 oversized 8' Brunswick Centurions in decent shape, blue Simonis 860HR, centennial balls. And 1 9 foot GC with tight pockets. Friendly environment, good Chinese food, several B players happy for some cheap action, a couple A players. My home room. The next closest is probably the Crow's Nest in Plaistow NH, maybe 20 min away. Pristine 8' Diamonds. Excellent pool conditions. Not as many strong players tho. Next closest is probably Amazin in Malden. Awesome 3 cushion tables and 10 9' GC in great shape. Good players. After that in distance is probably Billiard Cafe. Decent tables recently redone...decent atmosphere, not sure there are too many strong players there. Not a bad place but unrealistically expensive in my opinion.

Hope this helps. My mailbox is full so feel free to message me on Facebook: Kerry McAuliffe.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Thanks for helping KMR ... LOL, I'd have a better shot at beating Efren in 1pkt than I would trying to use Facebook or one of the others.

Do you know anything about this place called Vinnys Billiards and Arcade?

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member

Grand China is a real Chinese food restaurant on one side of the building and poolroom with about 12 8' tables and one 9' table on the other side.

Amazin Billiards is a little further away but is an excellent player oriented room with about a dozen 9' pool tables and four top notch three cushion tables (and a former US National champion Mazoin Shooni as your host). If you want players, go there. If you want active league & junior ambiance go to Ayer.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah Grand China will be the closest to you. Right over the border in Salem, NH, maybe 8 minutes from Andover. They have 9 oversized 8' Brunswick Centurions in decent shape, blue Simonis 860HR, centennial balls. And 1 9 foot GC with tight pockets. Friendly environment, good Chinese food, several B players happy for some cheap action, a couple A players. My home room. The next closest is probably the Crow's Nest in Plaistow NH, maybe 20 min away. Pristine 8' Diamonds. Excellent pool conditions. Not as many strong players tho. Next closest is probably Amazin in Malden. Awesome 3 cushion tables and 10 9' GC in great shape. Good players. After that in distance is probably Billiard Cafe. Decent tables recently redone...decent atmosphere, not sure there are too many strong players there. Not a bad place but unrealistically expensive in my opinion.

Hope this helps. My mailbox is full so feel free to message me on Facebook: Kerry McAuliffe.

KMRUNOUT

Billiards Cafe does have a pretty high per hour rate, but I forget about that since I play there on Tuesdays for the tournament and Sundays during Junior League for my son, I think the last time I actually paid table time there was at least a year ago. It's one of the least intimidating pool halls I have seen, more of a club feel than a pool hall which is they there are tons of women and kids there as well as corporate parties, birthdays and fundraisers.

I'd visit Grand China but last time I checked they did not let kids in or only during some odd times on Sunday so can't take Alex.

I put up some pics of The Billiards Cafe here http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=454352

Last edited:

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I lived in Lowell for 5 years before moving down south 10 years ago. Anyone know what happened to Country Club USA in Chelmsford? Quick online search says it's closed.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I lived in Lowell for 5 years before moving down south 10 years ago. Anyone know what happened to Country Club USA in Chelmsford? Quick online search says it's closed.

It's been closed for several years now. From what I heard, the owner passed away and the kid(s) or whoever the place passed on to left the business.

That was a great room for tournaments, tons of tables, lay out for spectators with lots of seating. It was the first room I watched pros play in person during one of the Joss Tour stops. I actually just this morning ran into my admission badge from that tournament, so funny you brought up the room. I met Grady for the first and only time there, and also Alex Pagualyan when he must have been in his teens.

Last edited:

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's been closed for several years now. From what I heard, the owner passed away and the kid(s) or whoever the place passed on to left the business.

That was a great room for tournaments, tons of tables, lay out for spectators with lots of seating. It was the first room I watched pros play in person during one of the Joss Tour stops. I actually just this morning ran into my admission badge from that tournament, so funny you brought up the room. I met Grady for the first and only time there, and also Alex Pagualyan when he must have been in his teens.
I went to the IPT qualifier they held in 2006. Warren Kiamco won that qualifier defeating George Breedlove, who also earned his 'IPT card' by finishing second. Breedlove defeated a young Karl Boyes to clinch his card.

At that same qualifier, a very young Wu Chia-ching (now known as Wu Jia-qing) was banging some balls around in the recreational pool area with all the locals. He was already kicked out of the qualifier, so he was just goofing around on the table with a young Asian kid. At the time, the 16 or 17 year old Wu was the reigning World 9-ball AND World 8-ball champion, but he looked like an average kid banging some balls among all the other local recreational players. It was hilarious because absolutely no one around him knew who he was.

It was an awesome tournament to experience and I had such high hopes for the IPT. And we all know how that turned out.

Sad to hear Country Club is closed now.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for helping KMR ... LOL, I'd have a better shot at beating Efren in 1pkt than I would trying to use Facebook or one of the others.

Do you know anything about this place called Vinnys Billiards and Arcade?

Yeah I know that you probably don't want to go there. Tables in terrible condition last I went.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sadly the owner Dave Cunha passed away several years ago. The rest of his family gradually reduced the size of the place then eventually sold outright about 4 years or so ago. Too bad I loved that place!

KMRUNOUT

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you make it to Grand China? Was there last night but didn't see any new faces.
Would like to meet you if you're still around. We've had some interaction on this forum in the past.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Going out that way Fri 16 and sat 17... hope to get some pool in. I'm no world beater, but I was hoping to find some 9' tables. Gonna be happy with what is available though. :)

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Going out that way Fri 16 and sat 17... hope to get some pool in. I'm no world beater, but I was hoping to find some 9' tables. Gonna be happy with what is available though. :)

Crow's Nest has 8 foot fairly new Diamonds, Grand China seems have oversize 8 footers. Pretty close though for size, my son and I play in Crow's Nest often, it's cheap ($10 for the whole night), good food, tables are in great shape. Would be nice to have some 9 foot Diamonds in there but at least they did not go with 7 footers.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I agree with your descriptions, none of those places is "close" to Lowell. They are all 20+ miles away, and with traffic could easily be an hour or more to get there, depending on the time of day. As far as Lowell proper, the Elks Club has a decent 9' Gold Crown.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Send me a PM with your phone #, near you is the Billiards Cafe in Ayer (highly recommend for atmosphere but not for high level action or play), Amazin Billiards is also close and has better players. Up North in NH is Crows Nest (8 foot diamonds, bands depending on the day) flat $10 all night rate there and good food. All 3 are about same drive from you. Depending on when you are in the area I can come up with my son and play a bit and say Hi.

Almost forgot, Grand China I think is near where you are staying also, KMRUNOUT is he guy to ask about for that place.