Shaft conditioner

Sensation

right there
Silver Member
Hi all!

I'm looking for the best shaft conditioner there is. I want this thing to slide like never before.

I take good care of my equipment and I seal my shafts. I've tried Renaissance also. I've toyed around with cuesilk or equivalent (hello, biosilk!) and it eventually gunks up.

Sooooo, what about silicone lubricant spray?

What about teflon dry lubricant?

Come on, I need some help here!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How old are therp? I've had great luck with a littl pledge, paper towel rubbing to heat, when shafts are new, and then just damp paper towels after play-and any time needed.

I'vee heard talk pledge softens the wood, but I don't use a lot and don't bump my shaft into things..anymore.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
shaft wax

Hi all!

I'm looking for the best shaft conditioner there is. I want this thing to slide like never before.

I take good care of my equipment and I seal my shafts. I've tried Renaissance also. I've toyed around with cuesilk or equivalent (hello, biosilk!) and it eventually gunks up.

What kind of shaft do you have ?
Assuming its solid maple Lighter fluid and renaissance wax or pure polymer synthetic car wax , automotive Carnauba wax .

I don't think if its all that healthy having silicon or Teflon being absorbed into your skin .
Personally I worry about normal automotive Carnauba waxes getting absorbed into my skin because they have toluene in them .
Health Hazards of Toluene
You can be exposed to toluene by breathing it in, getting it on your skin, getting it splashed into your eyes, or swallowing it.
Symptoms of toluene exposure include: irritation of the eyes and nose; weakness, exhaustion, confusion, euphoria, dizziness, headache; dilated pupils, lacrimation (discharge of tears); anxiety, muscle fatigue, insomnia; numbness or tingling of the skin; dermatitis. Toluene exposure may cause liver and kidney damage

Safety warning spray Silicone , keep away from eyes and skin …………

Looks like spray on Teflon isn't a safety hazard

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all!

For years and years, I always used one of those silicone impregnated "rod and gun" cloths to wipe down my wood shafts with. That made them super slick.

I haven't used one in years because I haven't seen one here in Hawaii like those I used years ago.

When I go to the mainland in October, I'm going to look for some.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
A clean, fine-sanded shaft, followed by Cue Slik with a paper towel. Then, the cue papers, one by one. All by hand. Then, rub it good, play with it, keep the hands clean. After years of sanding sealers, shaft conditioners, wax (a no-no), this is the one that does it.

All the best,
WW

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For years and years, I always used one of those silicone impregnated "rod and gun" cloths to wipe down my wood shafts with. That made them super slick.

I haven't used one in years because I haven't seen one here in Hawaii like those I used years ago.

When I go to the mainland in October, I'm going to look for some.

Amazon.

It is pretty awesome. Comes right to you and they got a lotta stuff.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The gunk, comes from oils out of your skin and the shedding of skin cells. Keep hands clean all the time, and just wipe the cue with a lens cloth or microfiber cloth often. Then no waxes etc will be required. Alternatively use some cue glove to stop the cue gunking up.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
burnish the shaft with a light bulb or water glass after sanding it if you ever do that. then let it get its pores plugged by the chalk and it will be perfect. every thing you put on wood make it less slippery after a short time.
its when you want a pretty shiny shaft that gets you in trouble.

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuetec shaft cleaner conditioner is for me. It removes chalk residue and leaves the shaft very smooth.
Nielsen's Billiards sells it. JoeRackem on Ebay too.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Do you want a cleaner, slicker, or a wood conditioner?

Those are all different things for different concerns.

Jeff Livingston

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you want a cleaner, slicker, or a wood conditioner?

Those are all different things for different concerns.

Jeff Livingston

Yes they are. I don't mind the blue look of my shaft, so if u want to just slick the shaft up try a dry magic eraser pad. It works like a charm and only cost about a buck. Use as needed

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago, when my shafts became dirty/rough, and cleaning with bleaching powder/damp rag raised the grain, after sanding with progressively finer grades of auto body sandpaper I would seal the maple with linseed-based gun stock finish. But, it darkened the wood and made the grain lines stand out. I recently tried Tiger S4 sealer, and was very impressed with the result. Leaves a very light, glass-hard surface. Burnishing frequently with an old/hard piece of chamois sprayed with silicon (I play with a glove) keeps them clean & slick.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Rennaisance failed to appease your search needs for a shaft wax/sealant
then do try Craftsman Cue Wax but it is hard to acquire (Birmingham, England).

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
From what I've been told Molinari cue wax is very slick. A few have told me that it's too slick. I seal my own shafts as well. Usually when I reseal it's too slick for me and takes about two weeks to get to where I like it

Sensation

right there
Silver Member
I'm looking for a shat conditioner!
I want my shaft to be as slick as can be. It's a maple shaft, not a laminated, or revo, etc.

I try to sand my shaft as seldom as possible, but when I do I go up to #3200. Most people when they try my cue can't believe how slick the shaft is. BUT I WANT MORE!!!

Problem is, even after cleaning, sanding, sealing, waxing (which is, by the way, a very time consuming process) after a day of extensive use, I pass through the finish and an accumulation of debris (?) occurs. I then wipe the shaft with damp paper towel and reburnish, but it doesn't come back exactly the way I like it.

Most of my tournaments are held on 2 days, and having to re-wax a shaft is such a pain the a$$.

*Note that I play with a glove and I tend to have sweaty palms.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last two days, I played with silicone on my shaft: spray on a paper towel, rub slowly on shaft, let sit 5 minutes, remove excess with microfiber cloth, let sit 5 minutes, play!

The result is a very very verrrrrrrry slippery finish (almost oily/wet) and it lasts a bunch! Keep shooting you ideas and I'll let you know about how silicone performs over the long run.