Derby City Straight Pool Challenge 2019

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, gee whiz, as long as we're all day dreaming: if Mosconi were alive today and he knew people were making such a big deal about high runs he'd set up a table and after a few tries he'd have a video tape of a run of over 1,000 just shut everyone up, lol.

Lou Figueroa

Not a chance. He’d be like 105 years old.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, gee whiz, as long as we're all day dreaming: if Mosconi were alive today and he knew people were making such a big deal about high runs he'd set up a table and after a few tries he'd have a video tape of a run of over 1,000 just shut everyone up, lol.

Lou Figueroa

Naw, it was so easy he would hit at least 2k balls or he wouldn't have been able to live with himself.

Your a little off spot on the "day dreaming"..... hell, their in never-never-land!

Rake

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do have to wonder ...

I do have to wonder what Mosconi's record would be if he finished all of his unfinished runs. True that he was in a unique position to have high runs but he was also the player to have ridiculously high runs.

I saw twenty minutes or so of footage when he was playing someone else as a fairly young man before his stroke. He was playing spot shape and making it look easy coming into the shot lane from the side and having a less than two ball wide lane.

Watching Willie that day changed my idea of what was possible on a pool table. It wasn't until I saw Efren on video several decades later that I once again had to change my idea of what was possible on a pool table. After watching Willie I spent several years working on spot shape. By the time I saw Efren I was no longer putting in over fifty hours a week on a pool table and I didn't even try to chase what he could do.

Willie might not have been the greatest of all time but at his peak he was certainly the greatest of his time.

Hu

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I do have to wonder what Mosconi's record would be if he finished all of his unfinished runs. True that he was in a unique position to have high runs but he was also the player to have ridiculously high runs.
According to reports for many years he did two or three exhibitions a day and routinely had 100-ball runs. I think from any open start he may have been over 30% to run a hundred. In 2000 exhibitions the odds say he would have run something over 600 more than likely, and on an exceptional day may have reached 800. But he had another exhibition he had to drive to and so he gathered up his balls after 150-and-out and put his cue in his case and said goodbye, most of the time.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
taking care of business

According to reports for many years he did two or three exhibitions a day and routinely had 100-ball runs. I think from any open start he may have been over 30% to run a hundred. In 2000 exhibitions the odds say he would have run something over 600 more than likely, and on an exceptional day may have reached 800. But he had another exhibition he had to drive to and so he gathered up his balls after 150-and-out and put his cue in his case and said goodbye, most of the time.

Good point about multiple stops a day. I also got the impression that the exhibitions were a grind and there were periods when it was mostly just a job. When we work eight or ten hours we don't want to work another two or so for free and I think that was the general case with Mosconi.

Much smaller scale of course but I made a living for a few months here and there playing pool. Made the same money I made owning a business or working for union scale but pool wasn't fun when I did it for a living. Willie gave me the same impression, he was more taking care of business than having fun.

Hu

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good point about multiple stops a day. I also got the impression that the exhibitions were a grind and there were periods when it was mostly just a job. When we work eight or ten hours we don't want to work another two or so for free and I think that was the general case with Mosconi.

Much smaller scale of course but I made a living for a few months here and there playing pool. Made the same money I made owning a business or working for union scale but pool wasn't fun when I did it for a living. Willie gave me the same impression, he was more taking care of business than having fun.

Hu

I dont think Willie even had fun on his day off. He wasn't much of a happy go lucky fellow. Quite the opposite from what i've been told.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I dont think Willie even had fun on his day off. He wasn't much of a happy go lucky fellow. Quite the opposite from what i've been told.

I think the weeks on the road doing exhibitions and being away from his beloved Flora wore on him. He just wanted to come in, do his thing and get down the road to the next stop. He did it to make a living. He was earning something like $3,000 a month plus expense money working for Brunswick, and they would book him on as many as 50-60 exhibitions during a two month tour. There were very few days off, except to travel.

Yes he was pretty stern and didn't seem to be enjoying himself that much. More like he was just putting up with all he had to go through to fulfill his commitment.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Straight Pool Challenge at Derby City this year will have $20,000 added due to the tireless fund raising of Dennis Walsh. 100% of the entry fees go into the prize fund which is expected to total about $27,000.

We have been promised four tables throughout the qualification runs which are Sunday through Wednesday. I hope the TDs of the nine ball can figure out how to make the eight 14.1 finalists available for the playoffs this year.

I left the venue about 9PM. John Schmidt had the two high runs of the day so far at 160 and 141 followed by three Poles. Three or four more hours of tries tonight.

We have had all four tables all day in spite of the huge number of players in the main events. Both the banks and one pocket are in progress.

TVmike

Professional Live Stream
Silver Member
Updates.....

Don't Miss out, because these guys Run out. After 1.5 days of qualifying runs for the 20k Added Derby Straight Pool Challenge.

www.billiardnet.tv

Sign up cheap and support my work, presented by Diamond Billiards. Event charge full package for 2 weeks of access is 34.99, 2 days daily live access available for 12.99.

Attachments

• stats2.jpg
    stats2.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 584
  • 141promo.jpg
    141promo.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 575

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
they're diamond tables. I'm sure they're all 4.5"
The pockets are smaller than in previous years. You can't get two balls to the flat of the facing. The table where Alex just ran 136 seems to be the toughest.

TurboDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB

Finished his run of 150 with a long but very make able shot up table to the right corner pocket.

It (6 ball) rattled and ended the run. The rest of the layout was duck soup.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Chris Melling just broke the DCC 14.1 Challenge record by running 244 (or was it 245?) on a Diamond table. I witness it from 154 on. Pretty sporty.