Value of "used" equipment

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Thanks everyone for your insight!

This shaft is still manufactured, and this is a deal between familiar players, in person.

I will say, I appreciate the "market value" concepts, but I have a hard time believing that folks who sell used equipment don't have a -- literally -- exact number of the value of each piece of their for-sale equipment.

Like in the examples in posts above, where the buyer and seller have disparate numbers, what percentages of the retail price are those numbers?

I'm leaning toward 25-45% off being fair, but I'd still love to hear some other opinions! Again, thanks everyone.
If its cash and you don't need to fool with shipping and worrying about scams then do 33% off lowest online price and be done with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Used don't just mean it's been physically used. When a product has been purchased, it's technically used from that second on.

As to the value, I'd say ~60% of whatever they cost.

So, according to, 'your' definition of, 'used' a cue manufacturer sells, 'new' cues to a distributor and they in turn are considered USED/NEW! :confused: 60% off, right off the bat! LOL!

A person orders a, 'Southwest' cue, waits 4 years, Cost that person $4,000, never been chalked/hit a ball, gets sick in the wait. Should they be penalized to take less? :eek:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, according to, 'your' definition of, 'used' a cue manufacturer sells, 'new' cues to a distributor and they in turn are considered USED/NEW! :confused: 60% off, right off the bat! LOL!

A person orders a, 'Southwest' cue, waits 4 years, Cost that person $4,000, never been chalked/hit a ball, gets sick in the wait. Should they be penalized to take less? :eek:

I don't believe he said or implied that.

The product could move through a distribution chain, of course it is still new.

Clearly he was talking about an "end user" sale or retail purchase.

At least that seems clear to me.

I don't think a Southwest cue has much to do with this. Special market.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member

I assume you are just being argumentative and understand the difference between the market forces in play with a custom cue from a builder with a 4 year wait list and a production shaft you can get tomorrow with Amazon Prime.

A thing is worth whatever someone is willing and able to pay for it, period. There are no other actual rules. If a rule of thumb was an actual rule it wouldn't need the thumb part in its name. I explained earlier how to think about this sale and I've bought and sold enough used stuff to be confident I know what I'm talking about.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member

If a cue is brand new, and never played with or chalked it's NEW! Period! No matter who makes it!

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
I assume you are just being argumentative and understand the difference between the market forces in play with a custom cue from a builder with a 4 year wait list and a production shaft you can get tomorrow with Amazon Prime.

A thing is worth whatever someone is willing and able to pay for it, period. There are no other actual rules. If a rule of thumb was an actual rule it wouldn't need the thumb part in its name. I explained earlier how to think about this sale and I've bought and sold enough used stuff to be confident I know what I'm talking about.

We're not talking about buying a car and driving it off a lot!

I also have a 100% I trader rating, with many more sale here than you!

Been doing this for a long time!

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Thanks everyone for your insight!

This shaft is still manufactured, and this is a deal between familiar players, in person.

I will say, I appreciate the "market value" concepts, but I have a hard time believing that folks who sell used equipment don't have a -- literally -- exact number of the value of each piece of their for-sale equipment.

Like in the examples in posts above, where the buyer and seller have disparate numbers, what percentages of the retail price are those numbers?

I'm leaning toward 25-45% off being fair, but I'd still love to hear some other opinions! Again, thanks everyone.

Why don't you tell us exactly what it is you are considering and get informed opinions based on that?

Low deflection shafs are constantly evolving. Cutting edge shafts (Revo) are fluctuating in price as competition enters the market and drives down prices.

Take the mystery out of the equation and tell us what you're looking at.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

I also have a 100% I trader rating, with many more sale here than you!

Been doing this for a long time!

No offense, but itrader rating is only worth how much you are willing to trust in it.

I say this because recently a seller with a 100% feedback score with more than twice the transaction count as yourself had a non-billiard item listed with a $2400 price tag hanging off the item in the photos and was looking for trade value of $1500.

The item was a cheap watch that sells everywhere, Amazon, Sears, ebay, etc. for a c-note.

The irony is anybody looking to spend four figures or more on a watch knows this inferior brand and would never consider it.

Seller reputation far outweighs itrader score, IMO. YMMV

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
No offense, but itrader rating is only worth how much you are willing to trust in it.

I say this because recently a seller with a 100% feedback score with more than twice the transaction count as yourself had a non-billiard item listed with a $2400 price tag hanging off the item in the photos and was looking for trade value of $1500.

The item was a cheap watch that sells everywhere, Amazon, Sears, ebay, etc. for a c-note.

The irony is anybody looking to spend four figures or more on a watch knows this inferior brand and would never consider it.

(Seller reputation far outweighs itrader score, IMO. YMMV
Very quotable, Jimmy

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You were correct on all points.

Anyone that that starts comparing that to buying a Southwest Cue is, well, they are at a minimum very inexperienced.

Also, I'm not understanding why the OP didn't post pics or at least say what brand and version the shaft was/is.

Like some have said, it's hard enough to put a value on used equipment you haven't layed eyes on but, it's impossible to give accurate advice on anything when you don't know even the basic details such as the manufacturer.

Kind of a weird question after you think about it.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm wondering if the OP is a distributor for who ever the manufacturer was? If not, well, yep....the shaft is used and should be sold as such.

^^^^^^^^^ just kidding..... Obviously, the OP wasn't a distributor so, it's used but, in new condition.

In short, I assumed everyone reading my post understood the very basics of what determined whether a product is new or used. Guess I was wrong. Not the first time, probably won't be the last time either.

Have a good one,

Jeff

Last edited:

funnyman

Registered
I thought I was pretty specific about the product, but of course welcome opinions about other products as well. Southwest Cues notwithstanding.

Lucas Zero Flexpoint Slim. Lowest online price I'm finding is $230 (and as high as $270) but I haven't looked too carefully, only with vendors I've bought from before.

If you would give a different percentage for, say, a Predator Z3 or a Cuetec R360, I'd love those too, and your rationale.

Thanks again everyone. I love this forum!

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep me too but, since we bought retail, we can carry it back for refund or replacement or at least repaired for free if it turns out defective.

Apple's to oranges IMO.

Buying used, come on PT, you know darn well you wouldn't give full retail. Sure I've seen it happen on REALLY, REALLY hard to find equipment but, I doubt that is the case or we would've heard about it already.

If you stick to that story, I respect it but, I still don't agree with the logic.

Jeff

If we are being real , most guys on here wouldn't give you 5 dollars, for a 10 dollar bill.