Alex Olinger vs. Johnny Morra race to 100 bbox 8ball score updates

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
This match is a good example of how the race to 100 format isn't necessarily spectator friendly. This match for all intents and purposes has been over since at least halfway through yesterday's play if not before then. Just based on what I like watching I prefer like long sets 2 out of 3 or something like that.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The match just ended, with Morra winning 100 - 80.

Day 1 -- 35 - 30
Day 2 -- 35 - 28
Day 3 -- 30 - 22

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Fargorate #'s ?

Not sure exactly what you mean. Morra's Fargo rating right now (not sure if this match, or part of it) has already been entered) is 782. Olinger's is 741. Those ratings make Morra about 97% likely to win a race to 86. When you enter any race longer than 86 the calculator comes back with "Infinity%."

Perhaps some supporting Olinger thought that (1) the 7-footer would make the match more even and/or (2) Morra wouldn't play as well now (lefty) as he used to (righty).

TxOnePocket

i'm ur huckleberry
Silver Member
I understand the 9/10 ball players gripping about hating One Pocket matches ( even if they are wrong :) ) because I couldn't watch more than 20 mins of that 8 ball torture stretched out over 3 days, talk about a snooze fest.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure exactly what you mean. Morra's Fargo rating right now (not sure if this match, or part of it) has already been entered) is 782. Olinger's is 741. Those ratings make Morra about 97% likely to win a race to 86. When you enter any race longer than 86 the calculator comes back with "Infinity%."

Perhaps some supporting Olinger thought that (1) the 7-footer would make the match more even and/or (2) Morra wouldn't play as well now (lefty) as he used to (righty).

Morra's fargo had him a big favorite and it correctly predicted the outcome. 7ftr or not;)

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Morra's fargo had him a big favorite and it correctly predicted the outcome. 7ftr or not;)
Yeah but is his rating for playing right handed :shrug:

He played this match left handed :)

Congratulations to Mr. Smooth John Morra

Attachments

• 81468742_3143582289005174_1714818460896198656_o.jpg
    81468742_3143582289005174_1714818460896198656_o.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 561

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah but is his rating for playing right handed :shrug:

He played this match left handed :)

Congratulations to Mr. Smooth John Morra

A great question for Mike Page would be what Morra's Fargorate is since he switched to left handed. I would expect it is within 20.

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To answer my own question, I used the old Google. Mike Page had answered this question back in February. He might have even improved a little after playing 9 more months left handed.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1577709823319.jpg
    FB_IMG_1577709823319.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 524

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
This match is a good example of how the race to 100 format isn't necessarily spectator friendly. This match for all intents and purposes has been over since at least halfway through yesterday's play if not before then. Just based on what I like watching I prefer like long sets 2 out of 3 or something like that.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

These guys are punching the clock.

I agree, playing sets is best for the spectators.

Tennis has it 2 outta 3 sets for their events, and 3 outta five for majors.

Breaks between sets gives the Camera crew needed breaks, the audience a break and the players a break. And don't forget the bathroom break.

Races to 100 often lock up the winner before hand. Many know the outcome of the long haul. You had better be in shape also. Just looking at a picture the two standing side by side, Morra is in good shape, he has allot less weight to carry over dayz of play. This aspect of heads up play to 100 is Real.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To answer my own question, I used the old Google. Mike Page had answered this question back in February. He might have even improved a little after playing 9 more months left handed.

Yeah, the next 1100 games are at 790 speed. In other words John Morra is, well, John Morra.

Now, if a 740 player challenged him to a match where John had to align the cue under his RIGHT EYE, that might be a horse of a different color...

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, the next 1100 games are at 790 speed. In other words John Morra is, well, John Morra.

Now that is just sick. Switches hands and has only moderate decline for a few months before returning to top form.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member

Now, if a 740 player challenged him to a match where John had to align the cue under his RIGHT EYE, that might be a horse of a different color...

Incredibly impressive.. thanks for sharing the stats y'all!

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Any BNR stats if you have it readily available.

Good for baseline numbers to compare with other barbox elites.