2020 Mosconi Captains Announced

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
So Johan's done? I'm sure Jeremy will do a great job, but I hate to see Johan go...Hard to beat his success record!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Not only are these excellent choices but the fact that these choices have been made in January is admirable, giving the new captains maximum opportunity to develop their methods for scouting, teaching, preparation, and ultimately selection.

Good luck to all the new coaches and thanks to Matchroom for making these choices so early in the pool year.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reboot

Great choices and a reboot of the franchise in this new decade.
2 of the best technical commentators in the business, JJ and Alex Lely facing off.
No surprise that Marcus gets the boot in this reboot

They are back to using rankings for Team USA. 2 from rankings +3 wildcards
"Team USA Rankings will return in 2020 with two players to earn their spot on the team from the rankings with the remaining three places to be chosen by Captain Jones as wildcards."

Team Europe selection criteria remains same- 3 from rankings+2 wildcards

This year could be biggest ever- 3000 seats in Ally Pally. Probably half million $$ just in gate collections

:D

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
USA - Jeremy Jones with vice captain Joey Gray

http://www.matchroompool.com/news/mosconi-cup/jones-takes-team-usa-captaincy/

Europe - Alex Lely with vice captain Karl Boyes
http://www.matchroompool.com/news/lely-captain-team-europe/

Sorry if this was already posted
Is Joey Gray a bit of a surprise as vice captain? I know he’s a strong young player, as I saw him along with Justin Bergman and Justin Hall in the BCA Junior nationals 14-and-under division probably 17 or 18 years ago. I wasn’t aware he was an accomplished instructor, as I’d assume that’s what you’d want for a vice captain?

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is Joey Gray a bit of a surprise as vice captain? I know he’s a strong young player, as I saw him along with Justin Bergman and Justin Hall in the BCA Junior nationals 14-and-under division probably 17 or 18 years ago. I wasn’t aware he was an accomplished instructor, as I’d assume that’s what you’d want for a vice captain?

I've only heard positive things about him.

I think some other fine choices for vice captain could have been Corey, Eberle, Lombardo.

But the choices have been made, and I'm fine with them. JJ was the obvious pick for Captain.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I have met Joey years ago. He is a strong player and think under JJ’s tutelage he may be a future Captain. He is fairly young and may be just what we need on a team of young guns.