weekend intensive trainings

heisenbug

Registered
What are everyone's thoughts on multi-day intensives? Do they really kick up your game as much as I am hearing?

Also, in the same line of questioning, if so.... does anyone know of any multi-day intensive trainings coming up, preferably on the west coast or Midwest?

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did a weekend group intensive training and it was not really worth it. One on one is the only way to go.
One exception might be a group session with professional players. Hanging out with a Strickland or an Archer for a weekend would be worth a few bucks.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
What are everyone's thoughts on multi-day intensives? Do they really kick up your game as much as I am hearing?

Also, in the same line of questioning, if so.... does anyone know of any multi-day intensive trainings coming up, preferably on the west coast or Midwest?
Dr. Dave's Billiard University does three-day "boot camps" in Fort Collins, CO - looks like one a year. Unfortunately, this year's has already passed, but there's always next summer...

Billiard University Summer School Boot Camps

pj
chgo

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dr. Dave's Billiard University does three-day "boot camps" in Fort Collins, CO - looks like one a year. Unfortunately, this year's has already passed, but there's always next summer...

Billiard University Summer School Boot Camps
Thanks for posting this Pat.

For those interested, the Billiards University (BU) hosts a 3-day "Overview Course" Boot Camp and a 3-day "Advanced Course" Boot Camp every July, on back-to-back weekends (for those who want to attend both). The spots usually fill up well in advance; so if anybody is interested, don't wait too long to sign up.

The dates, cost, and program are described in detail on the BU Summer School Boot Camps website.

Regards,
Dave

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

For those interested, the Billiards University (BU) hosts a 3-day "Overview Course" Boot Camp and a 3-day "Advanced Course" Boot Camp every July, on back-to-back weekends (for those who want to attend both). The spots usually fill up well in advance; so if anybody is interested, don't wait too long to sign up.

The dates, cost, and program are described in detail on the BU Summer School Boot Camps website.

Regards,
Dave

DrDave,

Is this done at your home or in a "Home Room"???

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

DrDave,

Is this done at your home or in a "Home Room"???
We teach these in a local pool hall. I only have one table at home, which is OK for private individual lessons but not OK for a group of 12 students and 3 instructors!

Regards,
Dave

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear you Poolhall60561...That's why I created the SPF National Pool School Tour. One on one teaching, in small groups of 8, with the top professional instructors in the country. Four days, 8 hrs each day. 12 cities, 12 poolrooms, 12 states. High intensity training for all level players. Sponsored by Predator, featuring Revo Cues, all students receive a $250 coupon from Predator, with paid tuition. :thumbup:

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

I did a weekend group intensive training and it was not really worth it. One on one is the only way to go.
One exception might be a group session with professional players. Hanging out with a Strickland or an Archer for a weekend would be worth a few bucks.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
heisenbug...I have the SPF National Pool School Tour kicking off in two weeks (9/26-9/29) at the brand new Golden Fleece Billiards in Everett WA. This is a four day intensive training, with 1-1 instruction from the top PBIA/SPF Master Instructors in the country. I will personally guarantee your complete satisfaction or your money back! I have the SPF National Pool School Tour stop #2 coming up next month at Surge Billiards in Chicago October 21-24. Tour stop #3 is in Okla City Nov. 11-14. Contact me here, via email (poolology@aol.com) or text/phone 773-551-7473. :thumbup:

Scott Lee

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
It really depends on what you're looking for, your learning style and your follow-up / dedication.

Generally, weekend trainings sessions are NOT going to kick your game up. You might get a very short boost in your game just based on attitude, but most times, people fall right back into their old habits. But, you will certainly get tools that you can use to practice - and practice is probably the only thing that will net you any meaningful results. After instruction, the burden is still on the player to figure out how to better themselves.

In addition to getting coaching, you should probably come up with some legitimate training routine that will expand your tool box and improve your consistency. Getting a table and banging balls or just playing games won't get you there.

Put in the time and you'll see the results. A coach can streamline your efforts.

-td

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CaptainBly...The website is launching in a few days... spfnationalpoolschooltour.com A New England tour stop is scheduled for next June. So far it's Seattle this month; Chicago in Oct; Okla City in Nov; Tampa FL in Dec; Phoenix in Jan 2020; Charlotte NC in Feb; Kansas City in March; Philadelphia in Apr; Fargo ND in May; New England in June, California in July; and Minneapolis in Aug. All tour stop dates will stay the same month in the same poolroom for a minimum of 3 years. Anyone can contact for more information.

Scott Lee

Scott are the dates and locations posted somewhere? Will you be making it to New England anytime in the future?

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pool boot camp

I believe in these. The goal is not to elevate your game in three days. The goal is to identify where you’re stuck, develop a plan to get out of a rut, and then take the first few steps together with someone that can make sure you’re in the right path so your next three months don’t look the same as your last three years. Combine this with private instruction from someone that can identify opportunities that most wouldn’t know existed and I’ve had a lot of success helping people break through plateaus. No magic bullets, just hard work, but work that is targeted and efficient.

I just completed one with the original poster and he’ll be posting a review soon. I’ll be making these available to those who are interested and that I feel I’m a good fit for. Dr Dave and Scott are awesome and I recommend taking advantage. As for me, I’ve broken through many plateaus in my life and am prepared to partner with anyone who wants to do the same. More to come. Thanks all.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been to a three day school with a now deceased instructor. It was garbage. I learned more from Scott Lee in four hours of a all day class than that other school.

Randy G. Runs another top notch school. I hope to get into Scott's four day class in Philly. I'm waiting for the website and have already sent a email. Yeah, these schools work. If you get into the right one.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Multi day sessions almost always end up being information overload.

A good instructor will normally want to do a single one day session, leave you with the information (instructions tailored to your needs) to guide you through drills/practice and then a few months later, come back for another session to see if or how much you improved and tweak things again.....rinse and repeat.

Its something that is all but impossible to do in a weekend.

Sure, some can be improved in a bootcamp setting but full potential is normally reached through slow and steady, not one and done.

Jeff

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
training

A good instructor will normally want to do a single one day session, leave you with the information (instructions tailored to your needs) to guide you through drills/practice and then a few months later, come back for another session to see if or how much you improved and tweak things again.....rinse and repeat.

Its something that is all but impossible to do in a weekend.

Sure, some can be improved in a bootcamp setting but full potential is normally reached through slow and steady, not one and done.

Jeff

I can definitely see how information overload could be a problem. My goal is to do the standard lesson, then put in a ton of time at the table practicing and drilling at high intensity on some of those points to make sure it becomes grooved correctly.

For example, if someone has a rushed rushed back swing and jerky transition it can be very difficult for them to correct on their own. Their feeling of what slow is might still be far, far too fast. Or they can slow it down when they're thinking about it, but as soon as they shoot at a ball that's not hanging they return to a jerky stroke. Being able to spend a full few days on the table and ensure they keep on the right path and develop a feel for the correct way of stroking the ball makes it much more likely they'll be able to integrate it into their game. Again, this is just one example.

I'd say it's the difference between pointing the direction and guiding them there.

There are other things like sharing the table for an extended time period with a high level player. Concentration and other intangibles are very important but can't be taught in a classroom or through a video very easily, they have to be experienced. And the intensity I put into my practice may be different than what they're used to, so it's nice to show how to tackle a certain drill or layout, then challenge them to keep up with me in both results and effort. Practicing with me often helps them raise their bar of what they think can be done and what they ask for of themselves. Point is the main advantages of these sessions are not informational. That's why I say boot camp and not school.

I agree that there is a big difference between information and improvement. AZB forum members are all very knowledgeable. Has everyone here reached their pool goals?
I'm not really interested in having someone come out so we can talk about pool. I just want them to see how they can improve and make sure they are heading the right direction.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So Jeff, which multi-day poolschools have you been to, to give you the opinion that you promote here. Certainly never one of ours (SPF). Sleep cycles in between days allow the student to "sort out" the days information subonsciously while they sleep, and come to the next day remembering what they need from the day before, and openminded, ready to learn new material. The concept has been successfully implimented for more than three decades with 1000's of students.

Scott Lee

Jeff