Looking for a solid mechanic in Lafayette, LA

shakes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am looking to buy a brunswick GC and I would like to have the pockets narrowed a bit when it gets installed. I plan on having Simonis cloth, and would like someone who could either install extended rails, or shims if that would be better and would like to make sure the geometry is correct. I play well, but I'm no pro. I would like to up my game with tighter pockets, but I don't want to make it impossible to cut a ball down the rail with a little speed. The local talent that I'm aware of doesn't seem to be the people I'm looking for. Posts or PMs are welcome.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am looking to buy a brunswick GC and I would like to have the pockets narrowed a bit when it gets installed. I plan on having Simonis cloth, and would like someone who could either install extended rails, or shims if that would be better and would like to make sure the geometry is correct. I play well, but I'm no pro. I would like to up my game with tighter pockets, but I don't want to make it impossible to cut a ball down the rail with a little speed. The local talent that I'm aware of doesn't seem to be the people I'm looking for. Posts or PMs are welcome.

What model GC? If you have a 4 or newer the rails don’t need as much work. If you want the corners reduced to 4.5” you can get away with shims. If you play 1P it’s best to just get the rails extended. My recommendation is to box up the rails and castings and ship them to JZMECHANIX. If you want a whole new top Jerimy Chambers makes new replacements

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member

Mark Gregory of Perfect Pocketz is about 500 miles from you in Atlanta. I would send him your rails. His work is outstanding! I have personally had 50 plus sets of rails done by him.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
What model GC? If you have a 4 or newer the rails don’t need as much work. If you want the corners reduced to 4.5” you can get away with shims. If you play 1P it’s best to just get the rails extended. My recommendation is to box up the rails and castings and ship them to JZMECHANIX. If you want a whole new top Jerimy Chambers makes new replacements

I second Jack Zimmerman (JZMECHANIX). He does excellent work, good communication, good turn around time, good prices and is an absolute gentleman.

TFT

D0N

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Gregory of Perfect Pocketz is about 500 miles from you in Atlanta. I would send him your rails. His work is outstanding! I have personally had 50 plus sets of rails done by him.

why do you worship and tout mark gregory so often? Just curious? Almost every one of your posts mentions the guy.

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
why do you worship and tout mark gregory so often? Just curious? Almost every one of your posts mentions the guy.

Forget it..I am not wasting my time with you two ass clowns.

Last edited:

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I’ve talk to Mark several times and have played on several tables that has re-worked. Mark does great work and his tables are beautiful. My .02 cents is; no one is perfect, what happens if something goes wrong? His temperament is suspect. I’m not convinced the aftermath of trying to get him to fix it would be worth the pain.

Did all your 50+ sets of rails come out perfect? I’m sure you have a great relationship with Mark and it’s worked out well for you. My very limited experience with him has left me with some reservations. I’m not bashing Mark but I think it’s fair to talk about some issues.

Just curious, do you work on the tables at Sandcastle or Clifton?

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Forget it..I am not wasting my time with you two ass clowns.

I thought you didn't like this forum anyways?
One question that is sorta funny,
makes you fly off the rails?

What the D0N said was a legit question and
I think he is surprised you would endorse
someone so much who treated him so poorly.

The texts are posted right here in the
mechanics forum.

Mechanics/ Installers are just like pool
players to me: I have respect for anyone
who loves the game and is always trying
to get better.

I look back to 2012 when I started my pool
table business pretty much on "accident"
and I am PROUD of my accomplishments.
I am growing and learning more and more
every year. Most important thing I have
learned: HOW TO TAKE CARE OF MY OWN
BUSINESS BY TAKING CARE OF MY CUSTOMERS.
It falls back to the old "DO ONTO OTHERS" premise.

I don't bite off more than I can chew
and if I can't do something 100%:
I contract work out to guys that can.
Am I perfect? No and I do not claim
to be, but, I do have satisfied customers
all over the country.

Reconstructing/ rebuilding rails is not
something I am interested in. I can do
proper subrail extensions and proper
cushion/ facing work. Anything more
than that I am sending the work to Jack
Zimmerman aka JZMECHANIX. It is no
different that you sending your work out
to Mark. I think it is great that you have
such a good relationship with Mark, it is
good for you as a mechanic and for your business.

You talk about "no ego's", but, respect
is a two way street. People have been
good to each other in the forum for a
long time now. Yeah, there is an occasional
blow up, but, it usually gets sorted out fairly quickly.

I love this forum and have learned so much
from so many different people on here. I love
participating on here and try to help people
all the time. I work hard to post accurate &
truthful information and I have no problem
admitting when I am wrong.

END RANT.

TFT

P.s. Thanks to Mike AZHOUSEPRO for all he does for us
and to all the Old School Mechanics who have helped me
and all of us LEARN.

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will say this: Mark may be the best rail man in the country but I would never contract him for work even if he was the last pool table mechanic in the country. God forbid something went awry or (gulp) I dared to ask the master a question about his methodology. No thanks. Everything is a street fight with the guy as evidenced by the countless AZB threads demonstrating this. Being the best at something in a service industry means very little if you have no people skills. Eventually, the bad press will be common knowledge and people will look to other options to avoid the headache.

D0N

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what happens if something goes wrong? His temperament is suspect. I’m not convinced the aftermath of trying to get him to fix it would be worth the pain.

definitely this

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I think you ARE mark gregory! You got banned and now you're back as pooltable911?!

Hold on D0N, Pat aka Pooltable911 has been a long time member here.

You are posting stuff and then editing it? Let's stay tame here and to the point. IMO you should not be saying anything you need to go back and delete. Making accusations that simply are not true is not part of this forum.

We are all happy you got your table in and avoided lawsuits(what a joke), lol.

As much as Mark "hates me" and has friends of his "threatening me for him", I cannot deny his abilities. He is no doubt ONE of the best ever.
The other people that posted in this thread pointed out some very important observations on dealing with him. That is all I am going to say.

TFT

D0N

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hold on D0N, Pat aka Pooltable911 has been a long time member here.

You are posting stuff and then editing it? Let's stay tame here and to the point. IMO you should not be saying anything you need to go back and delete. Making accusations that simply are not true is not part of this forum.

We are all happy you got your table in and avoided lawsuits(what a joke), lol.

As much as Mark "hates me" and has friends of his "threatening me for him", I cannot deny his abilities. He is no doubt ONE of the best ever.
The other people that posted in this thread pointed out some very important observations on dealing with him. That is all I am going to say.

TFT

Yea he did say to me that you alone were the reason he got banned from azbilliards. I edited that earlier post because who knows, maybe he can afford a lawyer and has time to mess with that. I don't need the hassle. Not that I said or did anything even remotely wrong or illegal. I was joking about pat being mark. LOL

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Yea he did say to me that you alone were the reason he got banned from azbilliards. I edited that earlier post because who knows, maybe he can afford a lawyer and has time to mess with that. I don't need the hassle. Not that I said or did anything even remotely wrong or illegal. I was joking about pat being mark. LOL

Yeah, He can say whatever he wants. I have no control over anyone else's behavior or who gets banned. AZHOUSEPRO, aka Mike, the owner of the website banned him. One of his buddies who was also recently banned from here was the one who said "wait till Mark gets ahold of you", after I would not sell him a GC5 out of my inventory... Not worried. Just think it is ridiculous that a grown man acts that way or talks that way.

Don't stir the pot is all I am saying. You seem like a nice guy and hope you are happy with your table!

TFT

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will say this: Mark may be the best rail man in the country but I would never contract him for work even if he was the last pool table mechanic in the country. God forbid something went awry or (gulp) I dared to ask the master a question about his methodology. No thanks. Everything is a street fight with the guy as evidenced by the countless AZB threads demonstrating this. Being the best at something in a service industry means very little if you have no people skills. Eventually, the bad press will be common knowledge and people will look to other options to avoid the headache.

Well said, I'll go a step further and say if someone recommends Mark, knowing his temperament, with no mention of that, well I am Not really a fan of those type of recommendations

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

I wouldnt call no one but myself locally tbh. What size pocket were you thinking? 4.25 at the corners? They had to call me a few years back to do table 3# at sticks, the guys who last done the table galled all the caster nut bolts and cut the staples while doing it. They couldn't figure how to even get the sub rail frame off the table to install new cloth etc :rotflmao1:

I'm not cheap but my rates aren't outrageous. After that a local repair guy wanted me to take over his clientele.....wasn't interested in going behind everyone for peanuts. But even if they got paid more they still couldn't up their quality imop.