pin size?

mattp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there a reason lower end cues tend to use 5/16 by 18 and higher ends tend to use a 5/16 by 10?

TommyLee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never heard of 5/16x10. X14 or 3/8x10. But I like the question curious to hear the answers

thelmstetter

Tomcat
Silver Member
Here are the different size pins that are most common:

Quick Release: This is the screw for assembling and disassembling your cue quickly. Just a few twists unscrew this pin. A few threads wrap around the head of a smooth metal rod.
5/16-18: This size pin is somewhat popular. It’s often paired with a flat-faced joint.
5/16-14: Another common pin size, these screws are usually used for a piloted joint.
3/8-10 and 3/8-11: A fatter joint pin, this screw usually screws directly into threads cut into the shaft. Threads wrap around the entire pin.
Radial: Typically screws into wooden threads. A smooth area in the middle of the pin separates the threads wrapped around both ends.

mattp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
oops. yeah meant x 14

I am just curious. I was looking at the chart with different joint types and seems like all the lower end cues use 5/16 x 18 and the higher ones use x 14. Just wondering if one type is more expensive or harder to build?
Just bored and curious. Happy 4th everybody.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
high end cues

I really don't think that pin size has anything to do with the price of cues .

I guess you should explain what a high end cue is in your opinion.

MMike

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
A cue's quality should be defined by the sum of the materials used and the overall craftsmanship, not generalizations made regarding a specific component.

Just my 2 cents.

Well said, I like that.
I wasn't going to post in this thread but Dan's statement deserves acknowledgement.

KJ

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I only know of one other cuemaker beside myself with 5/16-10 joint pins.
5/16-14 was more popular among USA cuemakers and 5/16-18 was more popular among Asian cuemakers, although both are used in both places.

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
5/16 X 18 is a national standard coarse thread size. You can buy it everywhere for the least amount of money and taps and dies are available all over.