2019 US Open Tournament Format Changes

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://www.matchroompool.com/news/us-open-9-ball-set-256-field-half-spots-already-filled/

The tournament will be split into two stages with the full field playing double elimination down to the final 16 from Sunday April 21st until Tuesday April 23rd across multiple tables. From Wednesday April 24th until Friday April 26th the final 16 players will play straight knockout in the TV Arena in front of a global television audience.

I noticed this today but not sure if it was discussed here on AZ yet. This is a pretty significant change. I always liked that the US Open was a true double elimination tournament right to the finals (with an extended finals match). Yet, I also understand that for tv ratings/drama/intensity, the direct elimination for final 16 with every match being broadcast will do just that.

It certainly will make predictions harder.

A full list of the players already entered can be found at www.matchroompool.com, where details of all qualifying matches are also available. Further qualifying matches are expected to be added in due course.
Players can register their entry now at www.matchroompool.com/usopen9ball/. Players can pay the $1,000 entry fee in full or opt to pay a $250 deposit to secure their spot with the remaining $750 to be paid by January 31st 2019.

I'm not understanding what the qualifying tournaments are for if there is an open entry fee? I see Ellerman just won a qualifying tournament by beating Max Eberle...does this mean Max can still enter the tournament but has to come with the entry fee?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://www.matchroompool.com/news/us-open-9-ball-set-256-field-half-spots-already-filled/

The tournament will be split into two stages with the full field playing double elimination down to the final 16 from Sunday April 21st until Tuesday April 23rd across multiple tables. From Wednesday April 24th until Friday April 26th the final 16 players will play straight knockout in the TV Arena in front of a global television audience.

I noticed this today but not sure if it was discussed here on AZ yet. This is a pretty significant change. I always liked that the US Open was a true double elimination tournament right to the finals (with an extended finals match). Yet, I also understand that for tv ratings/drama/intensity, the direct elimination for final 16 with every match being broadcast will do just that.

It certainly will make predictions harder.

A full list of the players already entered can be found at www.matchroompool.com, where details of all qualifying matches are also available. Further qualifying matches are expected to be added in due course.
Players can register their entry now at www.matchroompool.com/usopen9ball/. Players can pay the $1,000 entry fee in full or opt to pay a $250 deposit to secure their spot with the remaining $750 to be paid by January 31st 2019.

I'm not understanding what the qualifying tournaments are for if there is an open entry fee? I see Ellerman just won a qualifying tournament by beating Max Eberle...does this mean Max can still enter the tournament but has to come with the entry fee?
I'm sure all ME has to do is whip the grand to play. Ellerman gets his paid as his winning the qualifier. There will be more of these around the country as we get closer to the event.

Last edited:

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is the same format they've used in the men's 10-ball at the Expo the past couple of years.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Single elimination is so much better. Double elimination is fine in the pool hall with no one watching and players wanting to get their money's worth, but not for a pro event.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Single elimination is so much better. Double elimination is fine in the pool hall with no one watching and players wanting to get their money's worth, but not for a pro event.
DE early is fine with me. Tough to get a full field if its SE all the way. This format chosen by MR is used quite a bit and works well. Can't wait. I'm going to this thing.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Agreed 100%. This is a big step forward for this event.

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't mind the change... HOWEVER
screwing with our best running tournament's format will bring out the yeah butts, back in the day, traditionalists. I'm 50/50 here. I think it shouldn't be mucked with, but, I like the change... :/ wwwhhaaaaa

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
DE early is fine with me. Tough to get a full field if its SE all the way. This format chosen by MR is used quite a bit and works well. Can't wait. I'm going to this thing.

I already booked the room and tickets and my flight. If you get the tickets early, it appears your seating will be better. I think I paid 166 all said and done for the entire week.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Dbl then single before it's televised is perfect....it gives the TV audience the right ''feel'' for our sport..... the feel of a Major.

Much like the US Open tennis, or Wimbledon etc.

The public could care less about the knock out rounds.

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry but the format was just fine the way it was. Double elimination should be the way to go & not this asinine tiered format. All because it is done somewhere else does not make it right.

As far as it being better for the audience, blah blah, save that spin for someone who is foolish enough to buy it. No true viewer is going to say no, I don't want to watch this anymore as the guy who lost moves to the losers side of the bracket.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Sorry but the format was just fine the way it was. Double elimination should be the way to go & not this asinine tiered format. All because it is done somewhere else does not make it right.

As far as it being better for the audience, blah blah, save that spin for someone who is foolish enough to buy it. No true viewer is going to say no, I don't want to watch this anymore as the guy who lost moves to the losers side of the bracket.

Even when pool was televised in America, both the men's events and the women's events only televised matches in which the loser was eliminated. The hot seat match was generally played the night before the televised final four and in the last three matches, the loser was eliminated. Both the men and the women did it this way.

Eurotour events and the WPA World 9-ball Championship use the single elimination in the late rounds format, as they also understand that this is how you build to a crescendo in our sport. Matchroom understands this, as well, and the change they are making is very well advised.

Only the real diehard fans are interested in a pool match in which the loser is not eliminated, and those fans, which most definitely include both you and me, are in the minority.

1sttbone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
changing history

why can't people leave some things alone? First they change the break by putting one ball above spot and the players figured it out and the best players still have the advantage..Now we are going to change the format so it, the us open can be more fair. since you want to change the format call the tournament something besides the us open so history can be made fairly.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a die hard pool fan, and I wish double elimination would go away forever. From pro events, to regional events, to local $5 weekly events.

IF you must keep it, use it for early rounds, and then switch to single elimination.

Eveyone has an opinion and a butt-hole, and this is mine:grin-square:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

sigh

Please leave your bitter views at the door while the rest of us watch the sport we love grow into something much bigger.