Jason Shaw, classless?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
This will be my only post on this thread so I hope I explain my opinion the way I mean to.

If every professional pool player acted like Earl and Jayson, pool would be the laughingstock of all sports. Their behavior is detrimental to the game, IMO. So that said, why do we want to give a "pass" to the very few that act that way as compared to the other 90-something percent that act like "professionals"?

I'd rather watch Hunter Lombardo (and his kind) any day as opposed to Jayson/Earl.

Maniac (grew up in old school pool halls where you had to act like a man)

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you elaborate? I wasn't comparing him to Earl as far as one of the greatest 9-ball players ever, but in terms of his questionable actions / behavior.

I misunderstood your previous post, reading comprehension on my part was off. It's happening more and more lately.

We're pretty much on the same page after rereading your post.

I dislike Shaw's personality so much ........, that it's hard for his talent to overshadow it...IMO.

If Shaw's performance matched the Pearl's, (to me).... it would be different and I would overlook things a little easier.

To me, its risk vs reward. So far, Shaw's performances is just not worth it. Again, JMO.

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
all that from Shaw, making Shane cheeky smile in return and Sky hand to the ear celebration a lot sweeter.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I misunderstood your previous post, reading comprehension on my part was off. It's happening more and more lately.

We're pretty much on the same page after rereading your post.

I dislike Shaw's personality so much ........, that it's hard for his talent to overshadow it...IMO.

If Shaw's performance matched the Pearl's, (to me).... it would be different and I would overlook things a little easier.

To me, its risk vs reward. So far, Shaw's performances is just not worth it. Again, JMO.

Couldn't agree more... he's a great player, no doubt, absolutely great. Does his talent / play outweigh his ridiculous BS? Not to me it doesn't.

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he was hamming it up. Maybe he has an ego, but someone really has to generally be a pos before I think of them as classless

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me thinks....

Pool and many other sports have one thing in common. If one is very good at their chosen sport, it almost makes no difference how they behave.

They are just emotional and passionate and caught up in the heat of the moment and their fans forgive and over look their self serving acting out and poor sportsmanship.

Well, there are more important things in life then being good at a sport. Ones character comes to mind. Ay my age I know a dip shit when I see one.

Best wishes and Merry Christmas!

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaw had a smirk saying “I deserve that,” when Skylar showboated before his final 9-ball. I look at it this way. If it wasn’t for Shaw’s prior showboating that wouldn’t have been as delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t remember ever seeing him show boat like that at any other tournament . At the mosconi in front of that crazy crowd you get a pass.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t remember ever seeing him show boat like that at any other tournament . At the mosconi in front of that crazy crowd you get a pass.

I enjoyed it a lot! Even though the crowd was pulling against USA a lot of times, it was fun to watch. I only wish I was there. I loved the singing in the audience between racking.

Jayson is a cool cat as far as I'm concerned. A lot of males don't like him because he is not afraid to show his strength and bravado. Some men feel threatened when another man shows too much. It's the male dog syndrome. Some males always want to be the alpha dog. :wink:

brilliance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

SVB, Reyes and Ralf Souquet are guys to be example of great personality. Also Alcano and few others.

Chembry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wasn’t it Shaw that unscrewed for some petty BS at the DCC when he was playing SVB. He may be a great player but what TF does that even matter, if you’re a douche canoe in life it takes away from everything else. Where are the thugs these days, the guy who uncork on someone when they get out of line. It’s the same as all the folks constantly stiffing someone or pulling some shady moves. Time and time again you see the same ol clowns pulling the same ol stunts. I guess the days of someone getting pancaked on the spot are over, because the “pool player code” allows the derelicts to run amock with no consiquences.

Yes, Shaw was complaining about SVB racks in a RYO 9-ball tournament. He made SVB re-rack and still didn't like it. SVB broke and ran that rack. The next rack Shaw inspected the rack and when SVB was getting down to break, Shaw swept the balls and unscrewed his cue. Don't remember the score at the time, but believe the incident is on youtube.

Shane also had a similar incident at a tournament overseas in Asia against Ronnie Alcano. In this tournament the 10-ball had to be called. SVB had straight in 10-ball. The ball was about a foot from the pocket and he didn't call it. Ronnie called him on it and the ref called a foul. SVB just unscrewed his cue and forfeited the match.

Everyone has their moments. I don't care for Shaw, but believe he was just playing a role. He was the first European player to congratulate Sky for the MVP. And I really hope Bergman torches him again in Feb.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Jayson plays the role of 'Villain' quite well. He is a showman, and a true entertainer. You could tell by the smirk on his face, while Sky celebrated his victory, that Jayson's antics are all for show.

I believe that he pays attention to what people say about him, and he feeds into it. I believe that he is likely just as entertained by the nonsense as the rest of us.

WinnerBreaks

Registered
I don't know what they feed the Euro folks over there...but boy are they ever ugly. Between their teeth, Shaw's bat ears, their pathetic attempt at Euro pride...it's just laughable really.

Glad their luck finally ended. Super happy for SVB. He really wanted that combo.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator mindset

Some players relentlessly stalk their opponents watching for a chance to pounce. Others are clinical and passionless. They embrace the challenge of the table. Others target getting into the other player’s mind. That tactic often involves trash talk and other sharking moves. Those tactics are outlawed in league and tournament rules. Throwing a player off their rhythm is still often employed. But the time clock in some events stops that as well. However, choosing to tie a player up rather than run the balls is often used to get into heads once their extension is used can tactically get into a player’s head. Their chances seem non-existent and when one does finally occur its importance can seem to be magnified. I find Jayson Shaw to fall into the first category. The no mercy, in for the kill type of player. There is also an element of the surgical passionless table presence, with no regard for the opponent, just the table.

What I find disrespectful and classless, is someone simply implying something by questioning. The fact that a question was asked infers that it is an issue that should be addressed. Combine that with misspelling a persons name reveals more about the person doing the asking than the question. And it doesn’t reveal class.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some players relentlessly stalk their opponents watching for a chance to pounce. Others are clinical and passionless. They embrace the challenge of the table. Others target getting into the other player’s mind. That tactic often involves trash talk and other sharking moves. Those tactics are outlawed in league and tournament rules. Throwing a player off their rhythm is still often employed. But the time clock in some events stops that as well. However, choosing to tie a player up rather than run the balls is often used to get into heads once their extension is used can tactically get into a player’s head. Their chances seem non-existent and when one does finally occur its importance can seem to be magnified. I find Jayson Shaw to fall into the first category. The no mercy, in for the kill type of player. There is also an element of the surgical passionless table presence, with no regard for the opponent, just the table.

What I find disrespectful and classless, is someone simply implying something by questioning. The fact that a question was asked infers that it is an issue that should be addressed. Combine that with misspelling a persons name reveals more about the person doing the asking than the question. And it doesn’t reveal class.

I under what you mean by misspelling someone's name but, most people dont do that on purpose as they know it only reflects on them, not on the subject.

I highly doubt the OP misspelled his name on purpose.

As a matter of fact, I've seen his name misspelled at more than one tournament.

You assume, IMO, a little to much. If the OP is like yourself, he may assume you are a fan of Shaw's and are butthurt over his performance........ or should I say say the lack of?

hitman22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Vate maka youz says dat:)

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
The Shaw/Sky finish was absolutely perfect for this event. Matchroom couldn't have scripted it better. It was high drama, and villain and his foil, one full of bravado and the other bringing him down a peg or two, getting his just due.

My favorite thing to have seen in pool, ever. The whole package, the play, the drama...perfect.

Should every tournament be that way? I don't think it would work. But for this event...very, very cool stuff.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know what they feed the Euro folks over there...but boy are they ever ugly. Between their teeth, Shaw's bat ears, their pathetic attempt at Euro pride...it's just laughable really.

Glad their luck finally ended. Super happy for SVB. He really wanted that combo.
Do you really believe 8 straight years of winning the cup was just a luck?:rotflmao:

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you really believe 8 straight years of winning the cup was just a luck?:rotflmao:

Ignore the luck bit...I think we know what he's really getting at...he wants it to be a male model walk-off...Zoolander style next time round ;-)