2014 US Open 9-Ball Championship: 128-player field, $1,000 entry fee

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks like Barry Behrman is moving in a good direction for the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship.

$1,000 entry fee with associated expenses for the week-long event will limit the player field, which is a good thing since it is being cut in half. The payouts, however, go to 48th place getting 2 dimes back.

I think this is a good move for the future of the tournament. Yes, it is scaled down, but this is doable. Bravo to Barry Behrman.

Read all about it on AzBilliards Main Page ---> HERE

2014 U.S. Open Payouts
1st $25,000
2nd $13,000
3rd $8,000
4th $7,000
5-6th $5,000
7-8th $4,500
9-12th $4,000
13-16th $3,500
17-24th $3,000
25-32nd $2,500
33-48th $2,000

Perk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Surprised there wasnt a thread sooner. I have like five different "complain" threads on Facebook with 50-75 comments regarding this. Doesnt sound like most of the players are digging the changes proposed.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Surprised there wasnt a thread sooner. I have like five different "complain" threads on Facebook with 50-75 comments regarding this. Doesnt sound like most of the players are digging the changes proposed.

Expenses and entry fee for a week-long event is financially difficult to overcome. With less players, I'm wondering if he can lessen the amount of time required to be there. Seven to eight days is brutal.

There are ways to cut costs, but most people do want to enjoy this week-long event and not eat fast-food, sleep at flea-bit hotels, or share rooms. Anyway, that's how I see it.

We're hoping to make it this year. I said that last year, but the government shutdown put a monkey wrench in my plans.

JMD in VA

It's All Good!
Silver Member
Keith can come win my tournament this year and have the entry paid for! ;)

Expenses and entry fee for a week-long event is financially difficult to overcome. With less players, I'm wondering if he can lessen the amount of time required to be there. Seven to eight days is brutal.

There are ways to cut costs, but most people do want to enjoy this week-long event and not eat fast-food, sleep at flea-bit hotels, or share rooms. Anyway, that's how I see it.

We're hoping to make it this year. I said that last year, but the government shutdown put a monkey wrench in my plans.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I don't think they'll even come close to filling the bracket up which will totally ruin the idea. $1000 entry is strong and it eliminates a lot of dead money or even those players that are on the bubble of cashing.

I'd rather see $250/entry and unlimited field.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keith can come win my tournament this year and have the entry paid for! ;)

That's inviting for sure. Suffice it to say, however, there's some strong Virginians that Keith will have to overcome. :eek:

I better stop talking and get Keith to start chalking. :D

lukemindish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see how It will cut down on time either considering he is only using 8 or 9 tables.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member

Was thinking the same thing an d was gonna start a thread on this but didnt bother. I usually post chat worthy stuff but nobody posts. Probably due to the fact Im not bashing somebody or humiliating them with there pants around their ankles :rolleyes:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think they'll even come close to filling the bracket up which will totally ruin the idea. $1000 entry is strong and it eliminates a lot of dead money or even those players that are on the bubble of cashing.

I'd rather see $250/entry and unlimited field.

I see your point for sure. :smile:

The logistics of a 256-player field is just too difficult to deal with in a limited-space venue and time -- well, at least for now. Chris Bartram, as an example, having to compete in that small room with his stick hitting the wall, that is ridiculous and should *never* happen at a tournament like this.

I personally believe that having the U.S. Open consist of strong players, aspiring pros and pros alike, is better for the tournament as a whole. Only in pool can someone like me pay my entry fee and compete for a pool championship title.

Most may agree that something had to change, so time will tell whether this strategy will work. I know there are players like Niels Feijan, for example, who has come very close to adding this championship to his portfolio, and I am confident that he will be there. The caliber of play will be topnotch. :cool:

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did note the idea of being back at the Convention Center is still a dream and it will be back at the Marriot Hotel again. I hope he does a better job with the seating arrangement than he has since it left the Convention Center. I've enjoyed the tournament since the mid 80's without missing but if it weren't for seeing some friends each year, these last couple have just about killed it for us. We will be there again this year but I don't know how many more like the last couple I will make.

Perk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was hoping to be some of the dead money but there is zero chance I would put up a thousand for the pain. Last year was my first year down there as a spectator for a couple days. It was quite fun and I looked forward to playing it. I will make the trip this year again. Part of the allure of that tourney was larger fields with quite a bit of fish like me putting entries in creating larger fields. I predict that the entries will be at around 75 players if its $1k.

If the goal is to shrink the field and work on cutting expenses, it sure seems like he could figure a way to get it into QMasters on his Diamonds in the back room, maybe add seating taking couple tables out temporarily, and put 1 table somewhere for the TV table.

~Perk

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1.Shane ($25,000)
2.Orcullo($13,000)
3,Daz($8,000)

:smile:

There could be some spoilers there, there are several that can get to top 3 if they show. Immonen, Shaw for example. I'd like to see Dechaine do well there, he's one of the few US players that can get far if he has his game on.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I personally believe that having the U.S. Open consist of strong players, aspiring pros and pros alike, is better for the tournament as a whole. Only in pool can someone like me pay my entry fee and compete for a pool championship title.

I get what you're saying, but it's about the same in poker. You just gotta pay your entry. And the massive amounts of people (who have no shot) that go and take their shot... that's how that pot gets so huge.

I understand that me or you can pay an entry and make a fool of ourselves... I've done it :) but I'd personally rather see more money in the pot than more "real players" in the field.

But, that's pool. If we had golf money this wouldn't even be a discussion.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get what you're saying, but it's about the same in poker. You just gotta pay your entry. And the massive amounts of people (who have no shot) that go and take their shot... that's how that pot gets so huge.

I understand that me or you can pay an entry and make a fool of ourselves... I've done it :) but I'd personally rather see more money in the pot than more "real players" in the field.

But, that's pool. If we had golf money this wouldn't even be a discussion.

Yeah, I agree with that for sure. More money in the pot is a good thing.

With the Open, I'm thinking the logistics of the event is what's also a big problem. Nobody wants to play their match in a short side room or at 8 a.m. at the beginning of the day or 1 a.m. at the end of the day. The logistics of the Open has always been problematic, I think.

Creedo just made a comment on the other thread about 2013 Open not filling up, only having 170-something players at $500 entry fee. I think only somebody very serious is going to pay a dime entry fee and incur those week-long expenses.

I don't see how any change he makes will please everybody. More money, of course, is ideal, I agree, but logistics and the running of the tournament, to include the venue for spectators being comfortable, needs improvement too.

Time will tell, as they say! :)

JD_Hogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They could run a second tourney at barry's for $250 to bring in all the bangers... at least ud get more viewers ect..

Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They could run a second tourney at barry's for $250 to bring in all the bangers... at least ud get more viewers ect..

EXCELLENT idea, kind of like a Pro/Am-type thing that the SBE has. I like the way you think! :yes:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's all good as long as Barry is not the one controlling the checkbook. If he is all I can say is good luck to the top finishers. Forewarned is forearmed. :wink:

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
It's all good as long as Barry is not the one controlling the checkbook. If he is all I can say is good luck to the top finishers. Forewarned is forearmed. :wink:

Full field leaves 106k to Barry after payouts. Now I don't know his overhead but that a lot of money. Ive never ran a tournament of this caliber but im pretty sure players will be paid as long as the field in full. Personally I think it won't but then again Im a banger :grin:

Gerry Williams

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How did you come up with that number?

Gerry

Full field leaves 106k to Barry after payouts. Now I don't know his overhead but that a lot of money. Ive never ran a tournament of this caliber but im pretty sure players will be paid as long as the field in full. Personally I think it won't but then again Im a banger :grin: