Anybody found a good way to straighten a shaft?

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an old Meucci shaft with a good bit of warp in it. About 1/8 ". Anybody find a good way to straighten a shaft. This shaft did have about a 3/8 warp but I can't get that last 1/8" out.
Thanks in advance.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly, not trying to be a jerk.

Best advice is to see how far you can throw it away.

Buy new shaft, and be done with it. I have seen guys screw around and get this and get that, and pi$$ money and time away on freakin shaft, and if they would have just spent $100 they would have been time and money ahead.

I feel the same way about "cleaning" a linen wrap. Unless it is vintage and real Cortland, guys will screw around instead of just having it re-wrapped.:confused:

I wish you the best of rolls,

Ken

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Buy new shaft, and be done with it. I have seen guys screw around and get this and get that, and pi$$ money and time away on freakin shaft, and if they would have just spent $100 they would have been time and money ahead.

I feel the same way about "cleaning" a linen wrap. Unless it is vintage and real Cortland, guys will screw around instead of just having it re-wrapped.:confused:

Ken

I agree. Replacing with a straight shaft is the most pain free solution. Brian.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ken

Is your advice the same for hard to come by shafts such as the original Predator 314 shafts? I have two of them and one of them has warped a decent amount in the last several years.

I would like to know if there is a way of straightening it because those shafts are north of $200 in decent used condition from what I have seen. Would rather try to fix it instead of throw it away if possible,

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an old Meucci shaft with a good bit of warp in it. About 1/8 ". Anybody find a good way to straighten a shaft. This shaft did have about a 3/8 warp but I can't get that last 1/8" out.
Thanks in advance.

The problem I have found with trying to straighten a shaft, or any wood for that matter, is that the wood tends to return to its warped state over time. Usually sooner rather than later.

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put one on a hanger and let it hang for about a week, and that straightened the shaft. It worked once, who knows?

billf59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i had that same problem once I dampened the shaft put on the butt one hung it from the tip with fishing line let it dry and it came out good it was also a meucci

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Well, there is that Jacoby shaft straightening tool (was it Jacoby?) I bought one, it seemed to work pretty well actually but I could feel the side it rubbed, kind of distracting.
What I've had some luck with, and I believe the climate has a lot to do with it, is I'll hang it in the basement from a pipe tip down, and tie a few washers (for weight, the more, the better) to a string and tape the string to the ferrule so they hang from the shaft and it hangs for about a week or until I need it. I've had good luck with that. Worked with Predators.
Are you sure it's your shaft?

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no no

Ken

To the OP don't list too this, I've straighten a few shafts David Jabocay showed me how.
He has a tool that he sells and it works good.

After you use that tool it will leave a mark or groove like on your shaft take a high grit sand paper sand it off it be just fine. After that lay it on a flat table and put a few heavy books
on the shaft with the bow up, leave it for a couple days and it will be good to go.

I did this and it worked for me but after 3 weeks just a little bit of roll out came back and
it wasn't as bad as it started out to be.
So I repeated the process and now my shaft has been straight for a year an half. Also I'm
not a sales person for Jacoby ether.

SLIM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to agree with ken.
Cut your losses now & get a new shaft.
It will be money well spent.

Slim

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes it jacoby that sells them and yes you can feel where u rub the tool on that side of the
shaft. But it can be sanded right out like nothing.

Skratch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks in advance.

Aside from getting a replacement shaft, you might be able to have it retapered and turn it down if its 13mm tip or larger. But you'll have to accept the smaller dia. and increased whippiness of the shaft. Because of the nature of wood, there will always be internal stress that will bend it. Steaming it and trying to staighten it will work for a time, but it wont relieve that stress, and it will return. I would say replace it and have it matched to your butt end. You can send it way or have someone work the shaft to fit.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Jacoby shaft straightener will still work and not leave a mark on the shaft if you slip clear plastic fuel line over the tool.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
" I've ALWAYS FOUND REPLACING A WARPED SHAFT BRINGS BEST RESULTS...
"Sorry...
once that wood is crooked, "FORGET ABOUT IT "

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rick I used a towel and it barely left a mark it came right out with scotch pad and mines
still straight almost 2 years later.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
An eighth inch? Lol. I'll take any shaft anyone want to give away because it's no good because it's got a eighth inch taper roll