Ferrule type

1ab

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm just beginning to learn how to install tips and ferrules and ran into a ferrule that wasn't open on the tip end. What's the purpose of this? Is this common? Is there a predetermined thickness or does it matter if I cut it down some? Does it change the hit?

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
There are several ways to install a ferrule. Sleeved or threaded and in any and all tenon thicknesses.

My advice; don't go changing the way the original ferrule was installed because you haven't learned that process. Keep the same material and method unless otherwise specified by the owner of the cue.

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Search for "capped ferrule" and you'll have all the reading you could ever want. The most basic purpose is to reinforce the strength of the ferrule, particularly as tips mushroom; in that instance, the force applied to the ferrule spreads it out and many materials are prone to crack under that kind of stress.

1ab

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will refrain from changing or altering equipment unless specifically ask, and even then only to the limits of what I've learned so installing a tip on this is all I'll be doing. I just thought I should ask about this type of ferrule because I hadn't run into to one yet.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
It's a cap.
Some ferrules are hard and brittle .
The cap prevents them from cracking.
Most are at least 3/16 thick.
You will need a bastard file to "bullet nose " the tip of the tenon as the ferrules thread do not go all the way to the cap.