Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Tournament Talk > Derby City Classic/Southern Classic
Reload this Page Derby Observations of a Non-Pro Player
Page 4 of 4 « First 234

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#46)
nineballer
AzB Bronze Member
nineballer has a reputation beyond reputenineballer has a reputation beyond reputenineballer has a reputation beyond reputenineballer has a reputation beyond reputenineballer has a reputation beyond reputenineballer has a reputation beyond reputenineballer has a reputation beyond reputenineballer has a reputation beyond reputenineballer has a reputation beyond reputenineballer has a reputation beyond reputenineballer has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-14-2006, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuetechasaurus
Efren's break isn't weak. A while back they clocked his break speed on average 27 mph. You don't see him break hard all the time because often he doesn't need to. If you want to see some powerhouse breaking, watch the last few tapes of The Color of Money match against Earl Strickland. Efren was smashing the rack apart and squatting the cueball. He broke and ran like 25 racks out of about 40 when he caught that gear.

And what exactly did Billy Incardona say about Efren's break? Because I just finished watching a tape where Billy said that Efren having a weak break is a myth, and he in fact is the one that said they clocked him doing 27-28 mph. I also don't know why you say his kicking ability is at par or slightly above other players. That is the aspect of his game that is far and away better than any pool player out there.
I have seen the tapes of the Efren and Earl match and it helps prove my point even further. Efren was way behind until he figured out the break. If you look back at those last sets of racks he ran, he made the one in the side virtually every one of those racks. Every table breaks differently and Efren needed to figure out the break which he will figure out in long sets like this one with Earl. He got in a big deficit during the match because Earl was outbreaking him. Once he figured out the break it was over. I have given people the break that do so terribly. After a few hours of breaking every rack, even terrible breakers start to break like Earl. In short sets, you don't have much time to figure out the break and that's why the power breakers have an small advantage over Efren. Breaking 27-28 mph is good, but controlling a 27-28 mph break is another story. As far as Bill Incardona's comments, I have heard him mention Efren's break lacking in several accu-stat matches. I do have one of those matches in my collection and can go watch it again and quote him if you'd like. Bill may have changed his mind which people are allowed to do, but mine hasn't. You saw what happened to Earl once Efren figured out the break. If he had a great break like Bustamante's, he would win just about every nineball tournament, short sets or not.

If you are going to quote me, quote me correctly. I never said Efren's kicking ability is at par or slightly above other players. I listed a few aspects of his game and stated that they were even or above all other players. I didn't get into each aspect separately. If I did, ofcourse his kicking game would be one of those superior aspects that nobody can do as good as Efren.

Accu-stat's stats
Old
  (#47)
nineballer
AzB Bronze Member
nineballer has a reputation beyond reputenineballer has a reputation beyond reputenineballer has a reputation beyond reputenineballer has a reputation beyond reputenineballer has a reputation beyond reputenineballer has a reputation beyond reputenineballer has a reputation beyond reputenineballer has a reputation beyond reputenineballer has a reputation beyond reputenineballer has a reputation beyond reputenineballer has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Accu-stat's stats - 03-14-2006, 02:44 AM

I'm not bashing any part of Efren's game! I'm one of his biggest fans! I am curious, however, if we could get ahold of some accu-stat's stats. Since one of the categories that figures the accu-stats is whether or not a ball was pocketed on the break, I'd like to see how many times he made a ball on the break compared to the number of times he broke. I would then like to compare that stat to many other players given the same number of racks broken. That could shed a little more light on the subject and maybe prove me wrong.

Page 4 of 4 « First 234

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: