Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page What things have you done to really improve your pool game?
Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
What things have you done to really improve your pool game?
Old
  (#1)
Lock N Load
AzB Silver Member
Lock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond reputeLock N Load has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

What things have you done to really improve your pool game? - 09-02-2012, 12:48 AM

Meaning just what the question ask you! Have you done a lot of little things that helped? Or a few big things that helped your pool game a lot? Your opinion is wanted and needed, as it may help some of the AZB family members learn something to help improve their pool game. One thing about helping people, you cannot help them if they know everything in pool already!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Old
  (#2)
Harold Smith
AzB Silver Member
Harold Smith has a reputation beyond reputeHarold Smith has a reputation beyond reputeHarold Smith has a reputation beyond reputeHarold Smith has a reputation beyond reputeHarold Smith has a reputation beyond reputeHarold Smith has a reputation beyond reputeHarold Smith has a reputation beyond reputeHarold Smith has a reputation beyond reputeHarold Smith has a reputation beyond reputeHarold Smith has a reputation beyond reputeHarold Smith has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-02-2012, 01:42 AM

Alot of practice and bought a Predator 314-2 a couple of months ago, seems to help the long shots. But nothing takes the place of practicing shots you have troble with over and over.---Smitty

Old
  (#3)
Ratta
Hearing the balls.....
Ratta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2000
 Send a message via ICQ to Ratta Send a message via MSN to Ratta  
09-02-2012, 01:51 AM

Practiced like crazy. I kind of traveled a lot to practice with much stronger guys. To learn from them. I ate every single available book to earn knowledge to get as fast as possible again to the table to work on the new earned knowledge.
Over a time amount about 2-3 years i played every weekend in a tournament or league. At this time i had about maybe 7-8 weekends *without billiards*.

table time and learning was the key- and of course the expirience by get beaten from much better players. And *hearing and understanding* what they told me. No matter if it was psychologic or physical (fundamentals).

Shortcut: To have the passion to be a student of the game.

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother."......Albert Einstein
________

"Advanced PBIA Instructor and proud member of the SPF Family"

Old
  (#4)
bender_lu
AzB Silver Member
bender_lu has a reputation beyond reputebender_lu has a reputation beyond reputebender_lu has a reputation beyond reputebender_lu has a reputation beyond reputebender_lu has a reputation beyond reputebender_lu has a reputation beyond reputebender_lu has a reputation beyond reputebender_lu has a reputation beyond reputebender_lu has a reputation beyond reputebender_lu has a reputation beyond reputebender_lu has a reputation beyond repute

09-02-2012, 01:58 AM

- stay down on your stroke
- not punch the CB... follow through
- keeping the angles so you can play "softer"
- last swing: pull your arm back slowly and softly
- playing guys who run out on every mistake you make (makes you look more on safeties etc) this is how i learned to rack properly during months n years
- follow your pre shot routine
- chalk is not only for pussies

Old
  (#5)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

09-02-2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock N Load View Post
Meaning just what the question ask you! Have you done a lot of little things that helped? Or a few big things that helped your pool game a lot? Your opinion is wanted and needed, as it may help some of the AZB family members learn something to help improve their pool game. One thing about helping people, you cannot help them if they know everything in pool already!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.
I'd say I learned aiming systems from Hal Houle and refined them for my game. But, apparently thats not allowed on the main forum. So, there'll be no help on that subject.

Freddie

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#6)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

09-02-2012, 04:49 AM

Quote:
What things have you done to really improve your pool game?
Exaggeration has improved my game more than anything else.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#7)
jalapus logan
pool shooter
jalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1300

09-02-2012, 05:48 AM

I bought a pool table. Gotta have access to a table if you want to practice and play. Also took lessons from Stan Shuffet. His analysis revealed an incomplete follow through, which I worked on correcting. I now am much more accurate and get much better cue ball movement and control with less effort. Stroke it, don't poke it!

Ten Keys to Success
Old
  (#8)
Donny Lutz
Ferrule Cat
Donny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond repute

Smile Ten Keys to Success - 09-02-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock N Load View Post
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.
The first important thing I learned was to be observant. Watch every aspect of top players' games and imitate them.

Followed by learning to execute each shot in proper sequence.

Next came playing position for angles.

Then came realizing the importance of drills.

Followed by learning to "pose".

Then accepting the concept of defensive play.

Next came seeing that shot making and position are not separate endeavors.

Followed by seeing that offense and defense are not separate endeavors.

Learning to use spin only when necessary.

Moving from a closed bridge to an open bridge for most shots.

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor

Old
  (#9)
xiao.wend
AzB Bronze Member
xiao.wend has a reputation beyond reputexiao.wend has a reputation beyond reputexiao.wend has a reputation beyond reputexiao.wend has a reputation beyond reputexiao.wend has a reputation beyond reputexiao.wend has a reputation beyond reputexiao.wend has a reputation beyond reputexiao.wend has a reputation beyond reputexiao.wend has a reputation beyond reputexiao.wend has a reputation beyond reputexiao.wend has a reputation beyond repute

09-02-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Lutz View Post
The first important thing I learned was to be observant. Watch every aspect of top players' games and imitate them.

Followed by learning to execute each shot in proper sequence.

Next came playing position for angles.

Then came realizing the importance of drills.

Followed by learning to "pose".

Then accepting the concept of defensive play.

Next came seeing that shot making and position are not separate endeavors.

Followed by seeing that offense and defense are not separate endeavors.

Learning to use spin only when necessary.

Moving from a closed bridge to an open bridge for most shots.

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor
So i should use an open bridge for most shot ? What about if im originally use open bridge ? Should i do the opposite ?

Old
  (#10)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

09-02-2012, 07:04 AM

I drank a lot of "Hanks" water.
The side effect was that it made me play faster because I always had to go to the bath room.

Playing cue- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey

I woke up.
Triangles tips and Masters chalk are good enough.

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#11)
Houstoer
AzB Gold Member
Houstoer has a reputation beyond reputeHoustoer has a reputation beyond reputeHoustoer has a reputation beyond reputeHoustoer has a reputation beyond reputeHoustoer has a reputation beyond reputeHoustoer has a reputation beyond reputeHoustoer has a reputation beyond reputeHoustoer has a reputation beyond reputeHoustoer has a reputation beyond reputeHoustoer has a reputation beyond reputeHoustoer has a reputation beyond repute

09-02-2012, 07:56 AM

learned cte; the preshot alignment has helped alot
continued to work on my stroke: putting a pause in my backstroke has helped tremendously
found out how important it is to have a good bridge
shooting softer; somehow good things seem to happen when you shoot easy
read everything in site; tried everything and put the hours in on the table

Old
  (#12)
Majic
With The Lights ON !!
Majic has a reputation beyond reputeMajic has a reputation beyond reputeMajic has a reputation beyond reputeMajic has a reputation beyond reputeMajic has a reputation beyond reputeMajic has a reputation beyond reputeMajic has a reputation beyond reputeMajic has a reputation beyond reputeMajic has a reputation beyond reputeMajic has a reputation beyond reputeMajic has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

09-02-2012, 08:09 AM

practice, practice, practice.

" If you can't laugh at yourself then who can you laugh at? "

"I Gotta Feeling"

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" ~ Einstein

Old
  (#13)
Tramp Steamer
One Pocket enthusiast.
Tramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond repute

09-02-2012, 08:16 AM

I think the one thing that has helped improve my game was when I stopped playing people who could beat me.
I started playing double amputees, triple amputees, and one time I played a guy who had no arms or legs whatsoever. Tough match, that one, he damn near beat me.
One day I grabbed a little old lady who was standing outside the pool hall at the bus stop, brought her inside, shoved a cue stick in her hands and said, "It's your break." She ran seven on me, then missed a little crosser. Luckily I was able to get out on her. Another close one.
One Pocket's a tought game. You gotta play smart.

Open bridge
Old
  (#14)
Donny Lutz
Ferrule Cat
Donny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond repute

Smile Open bridge - 09-02-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiao.wend View Post
So i should use an open bridge for most shot ? What about if im originally use open bridge ? Should i do the opposite
?
I'd have to see your open and closed bridges to make any kind of assessment.

The open bridge allows a better view of your targets, particularly the cue tip on pull back. If you're not getting your chin down near the cue, this is not quite so important. I teach lowering your chin to as close to the cue as is comfortable for you.

I (and many others) use the closed bridge for power strokes and on the break. On these shots I don't bend over as far as for the majority of shots. The slightly upright stance allows for more natural follow through, and the closed bridge helps keep that follow through from going astray.

The nice thing about it is that after a while, your choice will be automatic.

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor

Little things and 1 big thing
Old
  (#15)
miscrewed1989
AzB Silver Member
miscrewed1989 has a reputation beyond reputemiscrewed1989 has a reputation beyond reputemiscrewed1989 has a reputation beyond reputemiscrewed1989 has a reputation beyond reputemiscrewed1989 has a reputation beyond reputemiscrewed1989 has a reputation beyond reputemiscrewed1989 has a reputation beyond reputemiscrewed1989 has a reputation beyond reputemiscrewed1989 has a reputation beyond reputemiscrewed1989 has a reputation beyond reputemiscrewed1989 has a reputation beyond repute

Little things and 1 big thing - 09-02-2012, 09:07 AM

The biggest thing I did was lose 200+ pounds! It's much easier to play now but the downside is, she got the house, lol!
Seriously, for many years I had no heart or passion for the game. It just left me sometime in the 90s. Not playing seriously for 11 or 12 years, sometimes going months without ever hitting a ball, was probably the best thing for my game. When I started playing again last fall I found the heart and passion I had lost. Since then, I have put in many hours of table time, stayed in action and practiced. If I don't feel like playing, I don't play. It all just seemed to come together. I can't put my finger on any one particular thing. It all just suddenly seemed to come together. I'm in my mid 40s now and playing the best pool of my life! Every day I'm still noticing small improvements. I just wish this had happened 25 years ago...

--------------------------------------------- I don't hate the game, I just hate the way I play!

Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: