Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Chance encounter with a pool player
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average.
Chance encounter with a pool player
Old
  (#1)
Gotboost95
AzB Silver Member
Gotboost95 has a reputation beyond reputeGotboost95 has a reputation beyond reputeGotboost95 has a reputation beyond reputeGotboost95 has a reputation beyond reputeGotboost95 has a reputation beyond reputeGotboost95 has a reputation beyond reputeGotboost95 has a reputation beyond reputeGotboost95 has a reputation beyond reputeGotboost95 has a reputation beyond reputeGotboost95 has a reputation beyond reputeGotboost95 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Thumbs up Chance encounter with a pool player - 05-25-2015, 11:37 PM

So this afternoon my son 11 and daughter 9 were riding their bikes to the store. I get a phone call saying some old man was yelling and cursing at them. And my son proceeded to flip him the bird and then called me. He tells me he drove off so I didn't jump in the car just then.

Later this evening on our way to have dinner I decided to stop by the mans house and figure out what the misunderstanding was. Fully ready to drag this guy out in the street and beat the tar out of him. What I found instantly changed my mind. An 82 year old man with a hell of a stout hand shake and stage 1 Alzheimer's. I spoke with him for a few minutes and then called my son out of the car. Convinced this gentle old man didn't have an angry bone in his body. And find it was just him talking on the phone with his wife and my son thought he was talking to him. We apologized and shook hands.

As we were leaving he mentions he started playing pool when he was about my sons age 11. I responded with I play a pretty strong game myself. He proceeds to invite us into his home to show us something. In his garage are 100's of beautiful paintings and under a sheet and blank canvas is about a 30 year old 9' Brunswick gold crown. He tells us stories of growing up in the Midwest near Omaha. He then says he used to rub shoulders with many old timers like Willie Hoppie, Irvine Crane, and rattled off a few others. Said he used to teach pool and was on the payroll at a couple different pool halls as an instructor.

I was talking to my wife about the stories this old man was telling me at dinner. And then I came up with an idea. I'm planning on speaking with this gentleman's wife and asking if it would be ok to drag him along with me to the pool hall if he's up for it. having a grandfather with this disorder I understand what they are gong thru. Figure it might help him stay sharp and let him do something he loves.

The guys name is Ted Valdez

Old
  (#2)
fathomblue
Rusty Shackleford
fathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond repute

05-25-2015, 11:42 PM

Great story. I'd like to hear updates.

Justin Wray

Main Player: Gary Johnson custom 4-pointer w/Ki-tech "hard" tip
Back-up Player: Gary Johnson custom Sneaky Pete w/Ki-Tech "hard" tip
Breaker: Gary Johnson custom "Snowflake" 4-pointer
Jumper: Steve Lomax custom w/silver rings
Retired: Meucci 333-5

Old
  (#3)
punter
AzB Silver Member
punter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond reputepunter has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2015, 01:15 AM

Great idea, and good for you! I'm sure the man would enjoy that. I, too, have had experience with that awful disease (my father). God bless both of you!

Edit: And please do post about it if it does happen.....thanks.

Old
  (#4)
SWN99
AzB Silver Member
SWN99 has a reputation beyond reputeSWN99 has a reputation beyond reputeSWN99 has a reputation beyond reputeSWN99 has a reputation beyond reputeSWN99 has a reputation beyond reputeSWN99 has a reputation beyond reputeSWN99 has a reputation beyond reputeSWN99 has a reputation beyond reputeSWN99 has a reputation beyond reputeSWN99 has a reputation beyond reputeSWN99 has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2015, 02:47 AM

Sounds like a very noble thing to do, I can believe a few minutes of the day giving someone a bit of fun and attention is better than being left at home any day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Player - Scruggs Merry Widow

Old
  (#5)
philly
AzB Silver Member
philly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2015, 04:34 AM

I too have been through this with two very very close relatives. It teaches you it is not good to live too long, unfortunately. Whatever you can do to give this man some enjoyment while he is still able to understand what is going on would be a blessing on you.

Pool may not build character but it certainly will reveal it.

"Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis" Unencumbered By The Thought Process

How do you feel? Fast and loose, man.

Old
  (#6)
Chip Roberson
AzB Silver Member
Chip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2015, 05:04 AM

Delete---Entered in wrong post

Last edited by Chip Roberson; 05-26-2015 at 12:01 PM.

Old
  (#7)
minnesota_slim
AzB Bronze Member
minnesota_slim is on a distinguished road

05-26-2015, 05:23 AM

I used to play Ted quite often in the Portland area. I am sorry to hear about his condition- he certainly loved to play (a good straight pool player).

Old
  (#8)
Gotboost95
AzB Silver Member
Gotboost95 has a reputation beyond reputeGotboost95 has a reputation beyond reputeGotboost95 has a reputation beyond reputeGotboost95 has a reputation beyond reputeGotboost95 has a reputation beyond reputeGotboost95 has a reputation beyond reputeGotboost95 has a reputation beyond reputeGotboost95 has a reputation beyond reputeGotboost95 has a reputation beyond reputeGotboost95 has a reputation beyond reputeGotboost95 has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesota_slim View Post
I used to play Ted quite often in the Portland area. I am sorry to hear about his condition- he certainly loved to play (a good straight pool player).
Yes sounds like he's got a high run of 80. Said he's been close to that number man of times. Said he used to play another game sounded similar but didn't recognize the name.

He actually invited me over to play on his table anytime I would like. Just give him 10 minutes to clear off his painting stuff.

Old
  (#9)
3andstop
Focus
3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotboost95 View Post
Yes sounds like he's got a high run of 80. Said he's been close to that number man of times. Said he used to play another game sounded similar but didn't recognize the name.
Back in the late 60s a very popular game that straight pool players enjoyed was called 1 Ball. (at least that's what we called it).

It's a single rack game with all the rules of straight pool except to win the rack you had to be the first player to put the 1 ball in your side pocket. (each player had his own designated side pocket) The 1 ball was racked where the 8 ball gets racked in an 8 ball game. Safe opening shot, and all called pockets.

Wonder if that's the game he was talking about?

"If ya knew what you didn't know, you wouldn't not know it." Danny DiLiberto.

Old
  (#10)
philly
AzB Silver Member
philly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2015, 10:18 AM

I remember one ball but we used to pick one of the top pockets.

Pool may not build character but it certainly will reveal it.

"Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis" Unencumbered By The Thought Process

How do you feel? Fast and loose, man.

Old
  (#11)
Gotboost95
AzB Silver Member

05-26-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3andstop View Post
Back in the late 60s a very popular game that straight pool players enjoyed was called 1 Ball. (at least that's what we called it).

It's a single rack game with all the rules of straight pool except to win the rack you had to be the first player to put the 1 ball in your side pocket. (each player had his own designated side pocket) The 1 ball was racked where the 8 ball gets racked in an 8 ball game. Safe opening shot, and all called pockets.

Wonder if that's the game he was talking about?
At least that's not the name he told me. Sounded similar to one 14.1 but called something else. When I asked him 14.1 he said no not straight pool but my high run is 80 in that.

I'll ask him next time we talk.

Old
  (#12)
Fuji-whopper
Fargo: 457...play some?
Fuji-whopper has a reputation beyond reputeFuji-whopper has a reputation beyond reputeFuji-whopper has a reputation beyond reputeFuji-whopper has a reputation beyond reputeFuji-whopper has a reputation beyond reputeFuji-whopper has a reputation beyond reputeFuji-whopper has a reputation beyond reputeFuji-whopper has a reputation beyond reputeFuji-whopper has a reputation beyond reputeFuji-whopper has a reputation beyond reputeFuji-whopper has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

05-26-2015, 10:31 AM

Balkline? That's one of the only games that I could think of that counts that high.

Old
  (#13)
david(tx)
AzB Silver Member
david(tx) has a reputation beyond reputedavid(tx) has a reputation beyond reputedavid(tx) has a reputation beyond reputedavid(tx) has a reputation beyond reputedavid(tx) has a reputation beyond reputedavid(tx) has a reputation beyond reputedavid(tx) has a reputation beyond reputedavid(tx) has a reputation beyond reputedavid(tx) has a reputation beyond reputedavid(tx) has a reputation beyond reputedavid(tx) has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
So this afternoon my son 11 and daughter 9 were riding their bikes to the store. I get a phone call saying some old man was yelling and cursing at them. And my son proceeded to flip him the bird and then called me. He tells me he drove off so I didn't jump in the car just then.

Later this evening on our way to have dinner I decided to stop by the mans house and figure out what the misunderstanding was. Fully ready to drag this guy out in the street and beat the tar out of him. What I found instantly changed my mind. An 82 year old man with a hell of a stout hand shake and stage 1 Alzheimer's. I spoke with him for a few minutes and then called my son out of the car. Convinced this gentle old man didn't have an angry bone in his body. And find it was just him talking on the phone with his wife and my son thought he was talking to him. We apologized and shook hands.

As we were leaving he mentions he started playing pool when he was about my sons age 11. I responded with I play a pretty strong game myself. He proceeds to invite us into his home to show us something. In his garage are 100's of beautiful paintings and under a sheet and blank canvas is about a 30 year old 9' Brunswick gold crown. He tells us stories of growing up in the Midwest near Omaha. He then says he used to rub shoulders with many old timers like Willie Hoppie, Irvine Crane, and rattled off a few others. Said he used to teach pool and was on the payroll at a couple different pool halls as an instructor.

I was talking to my wife about the stories this old man was telling me at dinner. And then I came up with an idea. I'm planning on speaking with this gentleman's wife and asking if it would be ok to drag him along with me to the pool hall if he's up for it. having a grandfather with this disorder I understand what they are gong thru. Figure it might help him stay sharp and let him do something he loves.

Really enjoyed the story but your 11 yr. old son is flipping grown ups the bird ?A kid in my home town did this , he was a wise ass and the person caught him alone and beat his ass. Since it was a stranger he wasn't caught.

Old
  (#14)
macguy
AzB Silver Member
macguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:

Your story is interesting but I don't like the idea you went to someone house because you felt some personal slight and wanted to get even. That by the way didn't even happen.
Is this your habit and how you deal with problems??

Is this what you are teaching your kids as a way to deal with imaginary problems, go beat someone ass? I live in Florida and your story is a common one, they are in our papers almost daily, except it results in an unnecessary shooting and lives ruined.

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time."
Thomas A. Edison

Old
  (#15)
Gotboost95
AzB Silver Member

05-26-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david(tx) View Post
Really enjoyed the story but your 11 yr. old son is flipping grown ups the bird ?A kid in my home town did this , he was a wise ass and the person caught him alone and beat his ass. Since it was a stranger he wasn't caught.
Agreed that he was wrong for him to flip off an adult. And he was very quick to toss that up. Luckily the guy was very nice about it. He apologized shook his hand and received a stern talking to. Also received a better lesson by this gentleman on forgiveness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Your story is interesting but I don't like the idea you went to someone house because you felt some personal slight and wanted to get even. That by the way didn't even happen.
Is this your habit and how you deal with problems??

Is this what you are teaching your kids as a way to deal with imaginary problems, go beat someone ass? I live in Florida and your story is a common one, they are in our papers almost daily, except it results in an unnecessary shooting and lives ruined.
It's funny to me how you read and comprehended the story I wrote. And if your son called you and said someone was cursing at them and took a swing at them you wouldn't have an aggressive response?

I never said I had a personal slight to get even. He yelled cuss words at a child and took a swing was the story. If I saw your child on the street and I witnessed an adult doing the same thing. I'd stop and have a nice conversation with them. If it came to blows so be it. I can more then handle myself and have plenty of control.

I found my son to be in the wrong and told him so. It obviously didn't come to blows and hopefully gained a friend out of the situation.

BTW my wife said don't feed the trolls!

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: