Old
  (#76)
Mystick Cue Fan
AzB Silver Member
Mystick Cue Fan has a reputation beyond reputeMystick Cue Fan has a reputation beyond reputeMystick Cue Fan has a reputation beyond reputeMystick Cue Fan has a reputation beyond reputeMystick Cue Fan has a reputation beyond reputeMystick Cue Fan has a reputation beyond reputeMystick Cue Fan has a reputation beyond reputeMystick Cue Fan has a reputation beyond reputeMystick Cue Fan has a reputation beyond reputeMystick Cue Fan has a reputation beyond reputeMystick Cue Fan has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-15-2007, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert
By the way, the huge money on the light also concerns me some. For a different reason. It represents a huge score for some outlaws, and there are many in this neck of the woods. I have a not so pretty vision of two guys walking in with .45's. They need only wait for the cops to mosey on down the hall. No one would move a muscle if one guy jumped on the table and scooped the money into a bag. Out the door and into a waiting car and off to the freeway. Sayonara 20K.

It could happen. It wouldn't be the first time. Personally, I would never put this much money on a light. PERIOD! It's just too tempting. Forewarned is forarmed.

With all these pool players I don't think any bandits short of 20 would make out with the cash. I don't think they would make it out alive.....

Jay ...
Old
  (#77)
Snapshot9
son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Snapshot9 has a reputation beyond reputeSnapshot9 has a reputation beyond reputeSnapshot9 has a reputation beyond reputeSnapshot9 has a reputation beyond reputeSnapshot9 has a reputation beyond reputeSnapshot9 has a reputation beyond reputeSnapshot9 has a reputation beyond reputeSnapshot9 has a reputation beyond reputeSnapshot9 has a reputation beyond reputeSnapshot9 has a reputation beyond reputeSnapshot9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 260

Jay ... - 01-15-2007, 06:39 AM

Quote:
The big winners had to be Dennis and Shane, who both had some monster wins. And Tony C. booked several nice winners as well.

Dennis continues to amaze me with his excellence at 9-Ball and Ten Ball. Simply the best player in the world roday! He gave nice spots to a great young champion in Chris Bartrum. Doubtful that anyone else could have given up these games and won. And there was serious money on the line both times.

Shane beat a terrific player at his game, when he took down Darren at Eight Ball. Also for some massive bucks. Shane just keeps getting better and better. Fast approaching the day when he can play Johnny, Rodney and Corey even. They are still the the highest rated American big guns. Sorry to say, they are the underdogs against the top filipino and Chinese guys.

In 9-Ball and Ten Ball worldwide, it begins with Dennis, Alex, Marlon, Ronnie and Busty. Yang is in the mix too. All others are a notch behind. I see Shane as the great American hope to challenge these masters. If he continues to progress as he has, in two years he may be playing even with Dennis.

I had the pleasure of flying back to Los Angeles with Dennis this morning. He showed me photos of his lovely wife and handsome four year old son. He also has a one month old daughter. I am sitting on the plane with the best pool player on the planet and talking pool with a few other people aboard. He sleeps soundly in the next seat. I tell them this small man is the best player in the world. The looks on their faces makes it clear I am not to be believed. They humor this older man (me) who is obviousy delusional.

Just goes to show you, when you meet a stranger and they tell you a tall tale, do not discount it too quickly. When Dennis awakes I tell him that the man on the other side of the aisle is an avid pool player, and wants to play him some. He just smiles. Dennis is so humble, you would never know he has this special talent. To him, it is just his job to travel halfway around the world and bring home the bacon.

At Derby City, with champions everywhere, no one has any interest in challenging Mr. Orcollo to a game. When his name is mentioned as a possible opponent, the blood rushes from the faces of these great players. I watched the last two hours of the final match up with Bartrum. Dennis missed exactly ZERO balls in this time. He did get out of line a couple of times and was forced to kick or play safe, which he did quite well.

What he did do during this time frame was run out from anywhere and everywhere. It seems that if he gets on the first ball, the rack is over. Devastating if you are his opponent, and demoralizing if you are thinlking of playing him. He will have to content himself with winning tournaments and getting the occasional game in Asia, or giving up big weight to play here.

I'm glad to watch. The last player who I saw play this speed was Parica in his prime. And you know what he did to all the top players in the 80's. Same thing, he gave up weight and busted them.

Thanks for your insightful remarks about the action and Dennis. It allows us avid fans to peak through a window. I bet you even remember that old song, like me, 'Look through any Window', always loved that song.

Scott 'Snapshot' Fraser
'Snap Lock' of the famous Lock Society
Don't judge yourself by what you have accomplished, but rather by what you should accomplish with your abilities - John Wooden

Old
  (#78)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
01-15-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecardman
Interesting. ...
I have one question about playing ahead sessions v races. How does a player's mind set change when playing an ahead session as opposed to a race?

Thanks!
Well, player B takes a pool pill, you see, knowing that in an hour he'll be in dead stroke, but that damn player A, he runs 4 racks! Then, B misses a ball coz the pill is coming thru. Wouldn't you know it, player A runs that game and 3 more. 8 ahead, 20 minutes. Player B...high and dry.
Or so I've heard.

My last night there
Old
  (#79)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

My last night there - 01-15-2007, 02:04 PM

I don't know if it has been reported but the Ring Ten ball Games went off on five nights. Four were $50 a man and the winners were Corey for over a grand the first night, Dennis O. for about a thou on night two, a break even night and finally Corey won again. In the one big game for $100 a man Johnny A. took it off for over two G's.

Other players who participated included Cliff, Francisco, Richie Orem, Gabe, Sparky, Mika, Frankie Tutone, Gandy Valle, Stoney Stone and Parica. Every night the game went, it drew a crowd to the TV arena. Did anyone see it on BCN?

Gary Serville from Kansas City helped me out, as did Jay Welch from Monterrey, CA. Thanks guys!

This post should have been titled The Ring Games! My mistake.

Last edited by jay helfert; 01-15-2007 at 02:08 PM.

Now for my last night story
Old
  (#80)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

Now for my last night story - 01-15-2007, 02:39 PM

Marty Herman from Boston came to my room for one night after Gary left for home. He is the coach, confidant and mentor for Mika and Ralf. I call him the "Pool Guru".

Mika came over from his room next door and visited with us old guys (Jay H. Marty H. and George Michaels from San Fran.). We showed him some things we do to stay in shape and he showed us a few of his exercises. Mika is an extraordinary athlete and a superb physical specimen. No wonder he, Thorsten and Niels all are doing well. They are in great shape!

After a time, we went down to the bar, and Mika got me plastered on fine Merlot. I am not a drinker, so three glasses later I'm as high as a kite. Timberly comes over to say bye and she is such a lovely person. Pretty healthy herself, lol.

Jimmy Mataya is making the rounds with an amazing disappearing coin trick. No one has a clue how he does it. Mercifully the bar closesd at 4 AM. I wander next door to the action room, and lo and behold Jeanette is in a game. I'm a quiet drunk and stand off to the side. J. Lee spots me and walks over and says Hi Jay. I mumble something incoherent and she goes back to shooting Banks.

She is playing some guy $200 a game short rack banks. He wins the game on the hill and looks around and asks if anyone wants a bet. My brain engages my mouth and I say how much are you playing for? He says 200 a game. I tell him I want the same bet thinking he will turn me down. He looks me up and down and says "You got it". Uh oh.

I sit down next to Jeanette's main squeeze (and husband) George B. and sweat the game. Being drunk as I am, I begin to coach Jeanette out loud, when to play safe and when to shoot. Can't understand why player B is not happy with me, but I shut up anyway. George is amused.

Jeanette plays great because she knows I am on my case money. NOT! I have over 5K in my pocket. But she does play good and wins the next three games. The guy asks her to change the game to 6-5. George and I protest this loudly. It looks like the game is over and I need to go to the airport in a few hours. I get up to go to bed and the guy says to me "Where are you going?" I tell him I'm done and so are you. He looks confused.

I exit stage left, barely able to walk a straight line, but with a $600 bulge where there wasn't one before. That much I'm sure of. Good night and good bye to Derby City.

Thanks Black Widow and Jason Kirkwood for making my stay a little less expensive. Earlier in the week Jason took on the notorious Ignacio Chavez in Ten Ball. I managed to get a $500 side bet on the game. After eight tough hours Jason took down the cash. I was asleep on the sidelines and woke up to see Jason smiling and putting his cue away. I knew all was good.

I made a few other side bets and never played a game myself for money (that's a first). I actually got someone to bet me on the first set Cliff played with Efren in the One Pocket Finals. He had to beat Efren twice, and someone thought he might win the first set. So I laid him 3-2 (150 to 100). Efren won 3-1. Also in the 9-Ball Finals, I bet with Billy the first set. I took Luat and won a 100. I asked Billy if he wanted to bet set two, and he declined, so I saved 100 there.

Tom Kenwirthy beat me out of $50 bucks when he bet Luat over Rafael. Nice going Tom.

Last edited by jay helfert; 01-15-2007 at 02:42 PM.

Old
  (#81)
watchez
What time is it?
watchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5625

01-15-2007, 03:50 PM

I was a bit under the weather during my stay at the DCC so I didnt get out of the room during tournament hours. I would have liked to side bet the tournament matches. This year, more than in previous years, I found it very difficult to bet on the rail for the gambling matches because you couldn't tell what was real and what wasn't. Unless you are doing the playing yourself or traveling with a close friend that is playing, I just wouldn't be comfortable betting any amount of cash.

I did try to bet 5 bills on Corey in the 10 ball match with Rafael & was glad that I couldn't get a bet. That match was definitely legit and I had no qualms about putting my money up but with Rafael winning I felt like I saved money. Jay, how many people in the building could do that jump shot on the two ball down the rail, with force follow to play shape back up the table that Rafael made?? Too bad he dogged an easy 7 ball in the same rack.

Last edited by watchez; 01-15-2007 at 03:53 PM.

Old
  (#82)
JoeyA
Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
JoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1300

01-15-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystick Cue Fan
With all these pool players I don't think any bandits short of 20 would make out with the cash. I don't think they would make it out alive.....
The airlines say that a pool stick is a bludgeon instrument and you cannot carry it on board the aircraft.

I wonder what kind of jelly I would get for recovering 15K with my Bender cue? I'd probably just borrow the nearest sneakey pete. :-)

The light of the Derby City Classic, I and Fred A. were discussing how many seconds it would take to run from the light to the exit door and it was approximately 8 seconds for Fred, anyway. I figure I might be able to shave a second off that time. Anyway, a thief would have to know that there would be a bunch of, "HEY, STOP THOSE GUYS! THEY JUST STOLE THE UP MONEY" with some yahoo trying to reign in the cash regardless of the thieves holding weapons. I think the airlines might be right as I imagine the loud WHACK that would occur to someone's head as it received a 25 mile per hour hit from the butt of a cue. Ouch.
JoeyA

much more than 25 MPH...lol
Old
  (#83)
jcrack_corn
AzB Silver Member
jcrack_corn has a reputation beyond reputejcrack_corn has a reputation beyond reputejcrack_corn has a reputation beyond reputejcrack_corn has a reputation beyond reputejcrack_corn has a reputation beyond reputejcrack_corn has a reputation beyond reputejcrack_corn has a reputation beyond reputejcrack_corn has a reputation beyond reputejcrack_corn has a reputation beyond reputejcrack_corn has a reputation beyond reputejcrack_corn has a reputation beyond repute

much more than 25 MPH...lol - 01-15-2007, 09:16 PM

Maybe fred or bob can enlighten us, but I would imagine that the but of a cue, swung from the stroking area of the shaft would be near 100+ MPH with a good windup.....can one of you science guys radar it for us?

A guy in new orleans got popped like that a few years back and spent several weeks in the hospital....recovered though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyA
The airlines say that a pool stick is a bludgeon instrument and you cannot carry it on board the aircraft.

I wonder what kind of jelly I would get for recovering 15K with my Bender cue? I'd probably just borrow the nearest sneakey pete. :-)

The light of the Derby City Classic, I and Fred A. were discussing how many seconds it would take to run from the light to the exit door and it was approximately 8 seconds for Fred, anyway. I figure I might be able to shave a second off that time. Anyway, a thief would have to know that there would be a bunch of, "HEY, STOP THOSE GUYS! THEY JUST STOLE THE UP MONEY" with some yahoo trying to reign in the cash regardless of the thieves holding weapons. I think the airlines might be right as I imagine the loud WHACK that would occur to someone's head as it received a 25 mile per hour hit from the butt of a cue. Ouch.
JoeyA

Old
  (#84)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people

01-16-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchez
I was a bit under the weather during my stay at the DCC so I didnt get out of the room during tournament hours. I would have liked to side bet the tournament matches. This year, more than in previous years, I found it very difficult to bet on the rail for the gambling matches because you couldn't tell what was real and what wasn't. Unless you are doing the playing yourself or traveling with a close friend that is playing, I just wouldn't be comfortable betting any amount of cash.

I did try to bet 5 bills on Corey in the 10 ball match with Rafael & was glad that I couldn't get a bet. That match was definitely legit and I had no qualms about putting my money up but with Rafael winning I felt like I saved money. Jay, how many people in the building could do that jump shot on the two ball down the rail, with force follow to play shape back up the table that Rafael made?? Too bad he dogged an easy 7 ball in the same rack.

One! And his name is Rafael.

Old
  (#85)
sde
sde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

01-16-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks Black Widow and Jason Kirkwood for making my stay a little less expensive. Earlier in the week Jason took on the notorious Ignacio Chavez in Ten Ball. I managed to get a $500 side bet on the game. After eight tough hours Jason took down the cash. I was asleep on the sidelines and woke up to see Jason smiling and putting his cue away. I knew all was good.
I knew Jason would not see this so I mentioned it to him at league tonight. Jason replied, with a big grin on his face, "No problem, any time!" He also had some very nice things to say about you. Great guy, etc.

Steve

Page 6 of 6 « First 456

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: