When to replace a ferrule?
Old
  (#1)
FeelDaShot
AzB Silver Member
FeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond reputeFeelDaShot has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

When to replace a ferrule? - 03-26-2018, 10:28 AM

Lately I've noticed my cue making a strange sound and feel during contact and I'm wondering if it's time for a ferrule replacement. It sort of sounds/feels like the cue is loose at the joint but it's always tight upon inspection. The strange sound/feel rarely occurs, maybe three times per session. It also seems to occur more when my tip wears down low but I never let it wear down all the way to the ferrule.

I've never replaced a ferrule before so I'm not sure how long to wait before doing so. I don't see any obvious cracks in the ferrule but it has a handful of extremely fine lines/scratches which may be hairline cracks.

The cue is custom with a juma ferrule and was produced in 2015. I am the original owner and the ferrule has never been replaced. I play a lot and typically wear out my tip every 2-3 months.

I'd appreciate any advice you could give me, thanks!

Old
  (#2)
djkx1
AzB Silver Member
djkx1 has a reputation beyond reputedjkx1 has a reputation beyond reputedjkx1 has a reputation beyond reputedjkx1 has a reputation beyond reputedjkx1 has a reputation beyond reputedjkx1 has a reputation beyond reputedjkx1 has a reputation beyond reputedjkx1 has a reputation beyond reputedjkx1 has a reputation beyond reputedjkx1 has a reputation beyond reputedjkx1 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 375

03-26-2018, 10:35 AM

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Seriously through it could also be a tip issue. Sometimes if a tip is coming "unglued" or even delaminating it can make a similar sound. I would have a repairman check it out before assuming its the ferrule.

Old
  (#3)
pooln8r
AzB Silver Member
pooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond repute

03-26-2018, 10:38 AM

Hi,
I had something similar to this happen on one of my cues. It ended up being a loose weight bolt in the butt of the cue not too far behind the rubber bumper. If the ferrule isn't cracked or loose and the joint is tight I'd check the bolt in the bumper or weight bolt behind it first. If you can't get to those pieces I'd bring it by a local cue maker who can help diagnose the problem.

Good shooting to you!

Kevin

Old
  (#4)
chefjeff
No sides, only players
chefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond repute

03-26-2018, 10:55 AM

I have had that noise lately and thought it was my ferrule.

It was the Valley tables in the pool hall that all have, for some reason, loose laminate on the rails and that vibrates somehow from certain shots off the rail. It took me a while to figure it out.

fyi,

Jeff Livingston

When to replace a ferrule?
Old
  (#5)
greyghost
exile
greyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond repute

When to replace a ferrule? - 03-26-2018, 01:01 PM

You work your tip a lot if your going through one every 2-3 months, thatís not necessarily related to play by any means. Cues will change sounds if you let the tip get too thin and also ferrules take on much more impact as the tip gets thinner, also regardless if a ferruleless or ferrules shaft a very thin past due tip is ripe for blowing out a chunk from the shaft or ferrule or cracking when you miscue as more force is directed to the edges when you do.

Iíd say once you got to be under 3mm on the shoulder without a pad itís time to change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: