Reload this Page The World vs US Open CSI
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
US Open Straight Pool Championship
Old
  (#16)
Mark Griffin
AzB Silver Member

Mark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 8900

US Open Straight Pool Championship - 07-07-2018, 06:57 PM

To answer the OP question, I would not intentionally ever schedule an event on top of an existing event. It has nothing to do with personalities, it is just bad for the game.

There are several reasons why it has been moved to Las Vegas. We can run a better event at less expense because we own the venue. This event will now become an annual event. It is a legitimate US Open title, and we will rebuild the prestige of the event.

It has always been standard belief that the East Coast has been the hot bed for straight pool. My experience has shown otherwise. I will disagree with Bob Jewett on the schedule being a factor.

It was in an ideal place. $70 rooms (double) with breakfast located directly across the street from the venue. An international airport less than 5 miles from the room. Scheduled one day after Darren Appleton's World Pool Series (that had 80 players), which was only 1 days after the SBE,( which is only 80 miles away or so).

Players could get 3 events for one flight! We had to travel from Las Vegas to run the event and for streaming. It becomes costs prohibitive. In time perhaps well attract a sponsor, and all of their sponsorship money will go to the prize fund.

All I can say is this --- we are going to have the event and I'm really hoping we get a decent turnout. Straight pool is the 'mother of all pool games' and it is our honor to continue the tradition of the US OPEN.

Griffs will be the home of 5 annual US Open events (Banks, One Pocket, 8-ball, 10-ball and 14.1)--All players get treated the same, there is no funny business with the money, and all winners are paid on the spot.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Mark Griffin

The World vs US Open CSI
Old
  (#17)
greyghost
exile
greyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

The World vs US Open CSI - 07-07-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Jaguar View Post
'Cause he has a hard enough time as it is getting people to attend his US Open events.

What if they had dat between two crawfish ponds in a pavilion wit sum berlin goin on in da background?

Like a hustlers jamboree wit a crawfish berl lmao

Who runs out best wit dat fiya on dem lips lol

Hot hot sha,
-greyghost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old
  (#18)
Nostroke
AzB Silver Member

Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 10475
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
07-08-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
Here is the announcement in the 14.1 forum about the Dragon event, August 13-19 in upstate New York (Nanuet): https://forums.azbilliards.com/showt...php?t=477240l]
You can call it upstate NY but it is 30 min from the GW Bridge (Fly into HPN or Stewart to avoid traffic/congestion if possible)

Last edited by Nostroke; 07-08-2018 at 09:02 AM.

Old
  (#19)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

07-08-2018, 07:31 AM

We are indeed extremely lucky to have one venue and one venue owner, in Mark Griffin, who has committed to hosting all 5 of these pool disciplines of US Open events at his awesome facility. Particularly when considering Mark's obvious passion for 14.1, it's just a matter of time until this US Open 14.1 Championship event is able to attract most of the top 14.1 players in this country as well as internationally.

Last edited by ChrisinNC; 07-08-2018 at 07:38 AM. Reason: edit

Old
  (#20)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
07-08-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoc View Post
We are very lucky to have mark gregory taking an interest in pool
whether it be a wonderful pool room,nice championship tournaments or
his involvement with Diamond pool tables,evverything Mark does is first class

other than his not staking me to play in
the US OPEN ONE POCKET

other than that one bonehead play,mark is first class
Teee heee.

Old
  (#21)
Cuebuddy
Vege-table
Cuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

07-08-2018, 10:23 AM

Having traveled to Vegas numerous times to see Mosconi cup and a few other tourneys I believe that this could work out well for the game. As mentioned already the airport is close to everything and there is quite a few pool rooms in the city as well. I got to talk to Mark last December at his room and it was packed and well run.

There is a host of reasons to get to Las Vegas other than pool and the city is easy to move around in. I will be planning to go to a few of these events in the future.

Mark work your magic with these events and I will be there when possible supporting it.

Cuebuddy

"I'm terrified every time you shoot"
Chisolm W

"14-1, 9 ball, 8 ball whats the difference....you put balls in holes."
Measureman

Old
  (#22)
Nick B
This is gonna hurt
Nick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond repute

07-08-2018, 10:38 AM

Two points:
1. Nobody does it better than Mark G.
2. We should all support anything he does for the game.

We are lucky to have him. Thx again Mark for all you do and your continued efforts.

Cue: Foster, Break/Jump: Foster
http://www.fostercues.com/
Name: Nick Beretanos

Old
  (#23)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

07-08-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuebuddy View Post
Having traveled to Vegas numerous times to see Mosconi cup and a few other tourneys I believe that this could work out well for the game. As mentioned already the airport is close to everything and there is quite a few pool rooms in the city as well. I got to talk to Mark last December at his room and it was packed and well run.

There is a host of reasons to get to Las Vegas other than pool and the city is easy to move around in. I will be planning to go to a few of these events in the future.

Mark work your magic with these events and I will be there when possible supporting it.
The only drawback I see, particularly regarding the 14.1 US Open to be held in his room, is the limitations from the viewpoint of the spectators. I've never been to his room, but if this event does take off in the next few years as far as spectator interest, I can't imagine the layout would allow for hundreds of spectators to have elevated and comfortable seated viewing of tournament matches on multiple tables, such as has always been available at the venues used for the 9-Ball US Open in Norfolk / Chesapeake. I guess as long as at least some of the tournament matches are available for live viewing via the internet, that's all we can ask for.

Last edited by ChrisinNC; 07-08-2018 at 11:01 AM. Reason: edit

Old
  (#24)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

07-08-2018, 10:48 AM

Last edited by garczar; 07-08-2018 at 10:49 AM. Reason: delete

Old
  (#25)
Nick B
This is gonna hurt
Nick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond repute

07-08-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
The only drawback I see, particularly regarding the 14.1 US Open to be held in his room, is the limitations from the viewpoint of the spectators. I've never been to his room, but I can't imagine the layout would allow for hundreds of spectators to have elevated and comfortable seated viewing of tournament matches on multiple tables, such as has always been available at the venues used for the 9-Ball US Open in Norfolk / Chesapeake.
The room layout is good. Is it The Crucible...well no. At the current state of the game it simply couldn't be afforded. We need to bootstrap our sport before looking to go to the next level.
Attached Images

Cue: Foster, Break/Jump: Foster
http://www.fostercues.com/
Name: Nick Beretanos

Old
  (#26)
Cuebuddy
Vege-table
Cuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond repute

07-08-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
What if they had dat between two crawfish ponds in a pavilion wit sum berlin goin on in da background?

Like a hustlers jamboree wit a crawfish berl lmao

Who runs out best wit dat fiya on dem lips lol

Hot hot sha,
-greyghost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I would make it to that.....if I could wear my new shoes!
Attached Images

Cuebuddy

"I'm terrified every time you shoot"
Chisolm W

"14-1, 9 ball, 8 ball whats the difference....you put balls in holes."
Measureman

Old
  (#27)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

07-08-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
The only drawback I see, particularly regarding the 14.1 US Open to be held in his room, is the limitations from the viewpoint of the spectators. I've never been to his room, but if this event does take off in the next few years as far as spectator interest, I can't imagine the layout would allow for hundreds of spectators to have elevated and comfortable seated viewing of tournament matches on multiple tables, such as has always been available at the venues used for the 9-Ball US Open in Norfolk / Chesapeake. I guess as long as at least some of the tournament matches are available for live viewing via the internet, that's all we can ask for.

It's a good point.

I've been to Griff's and its a gorgeous room but I wonder how it will be for spectators. I feel as if it would be tight quarters.

Right about now, I'm tossing about the idea of going to watch some high caliber 14.1 this Fall and am debating which event to attend. The last big 14.1 event I attended was the US Open at the Roseland Ballroom in NYC in 2000 and that *was* an event to be remembered.

So now whadda I do? It's almost an embarassment of riches. How would you vote?

Lou Figueroa

Last edited by lfigueroa; 07-08-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Old
  (#28)
greyghost
exile
greyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond repute

07-08-2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuebuddy View Post
I would make it to that.....if I could wear my new shoes!

And his kicks were perfect......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: