Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page * lifetime cue *
Page 3 of 3 123

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
WildWing
AzB Silver Member
WildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-18-2019, 02:04 PM

Cue of a lifetime? No, not for collectors, or anyone interested in variety.

All the best,
WW

Old
  (#32)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2019, 02:35 PM

I, honestly, hope this cue turns out to be exactly how you hope it will be, but it's hard to produce a cue that will fit you "perfectly" without some later adjustments being made.

For me, a "lifetime" cue is one that "plays" up to my expectations. I'm not really interested in "lookers".

I have had two cues made by a Hall of Fame maker that is world famous and they didn't play anywhere near the same. The first was my "lifetime" cue at the time and I thought I would buy a more expensive one that would replace it, since I figured that they would play the same. I sold the "lifetime" cue as soon as I got the replacement and then found out it didn't suit me AT ALL.

The shafts were made identical to the first cue, in diameter, length, taper, ferrules, tips, etc. The butts were the same dimensions, but of different construction, woods, and wrap.

The first cue was a 4-point, ebony with 4-veneers into straight grain maple, SS 5/16-14 piloted compression joint and it had an Irish linen wrap.

The second cue was a Merry Widow, rosewood, leather wrap, with a SS 5/16-14 piloted compression joint.

Both cues came with two shafts. Neither of the new shafts on the new butt played anywhere like the two shafts on my original cue played on that butt.

I think you can get a "lifetime" cue that is a "looker" from just about any well known cue maker, but I don't think you can get a guaranteed "lifetime" "player" from any of them.

Last edited by HawaiianEye; 05-18-2019 at 05:07 PM.

Old
  (#33)
bbb
AzB Silver Member
bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-18-2019, 02:47 PM

my "lifetime cue " is like my love life......i am serially monogamus.........

Old
  (#34)
Kevin Lindstrom
14.1 Addict
Kevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 6237

05-20-2019, 10:10 AM

For all of the posters that want to hammer me about claiming to have found my lifetime cue I wouldn't have posted this if I didn't think it to be true. I know it seems like a reach to make this claim but I am ordering a cue that will have the exact look that I am after. It will have the weight and specs that I want as well, and lastly it will have a Jacoby Edge Hybrid shaft blank matched to the cue so I feel pretty confident that the playability will be there to match the looks. I have been using the same shaft for several years now so there will be no adjustment factor needed. As some proof to my confidence please watch the for sale threads shortly as I will be selling off all of my remaining cues and be down to just this one last cue.

For all of the positive posts on this tread I appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

Kevin

SCREW IT LETS RIDE

Old
  (#35)
Sealegs50
AzB Silver Member
Sealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond repute

05-20-2019, 05:42 PM

I get the itch to buy another cue about every 5-7 years. I have owned my current main player for almost 6 years. In the past 6 months or so, there have been two cues offered for sale that caught my eye. In the past I would have been scheming how I could justify to my wife that I needed another cue. But I just don’t have any desire to side-line my current player. Perhaps I have settled on my “remainder of my” lifetime cue.

Old
  (#36)
RichSchultz
AzB Silver Member
RichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond repute

05-20-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Lindstrom View Post
For all of the posters that want to hammer me about claiming to have found my lifetime cue I wouldn't have posted this if I didn't think it to be true. I know it seems like a reach to make this claim but I am ordering a cue that will have the exact look that I am after. It will have the weight and specs that I want as well, and lastly it will have a Jacoby Edge Hybrid shaft blank matched to the cue so I feel pretty confident that the playability will be there to match the looks. I have been using the same shaft for several years now so there will be no adjustment factor needed. As some proof to my confidence please watch the for sale threads shortly as I will be selling off all of my remaining cues and be down to just this one last cue.

For all of the positive posts on this tread I appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

Kevin
To me, selling your other cues sounds like you are trying to convince yourself you don’t have an addiction to cues. “See, I am cutting ties!” I’ve done that too. Didn’t work, and I regretted it.

Old
  (#37)
9 Ball Fan
Darth Maximus
9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute

05-20-2019, 07:04 PM

I love my Meucci, and I love my Viking just as much; although the weights are different, and the shafts are different. The truth is, I'd still like to own one more nice cue. Why? Because people are rarely, truly 100% satisfied.

Favorite Cues:
Meucci Pro Series
1990s Viking

Kevin's Taste IN Cues Is Impeccable.
Old
  (#38)
Bavafongoul
AzB Silver Member
Bavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Kevin's Taste IN Cues Is Impeccable. - 05-21-2019, 09:20 AM

Kevin is right. If you find a cue-maker that floats your boat and ultimately settle on what you want
the cue-maker to make for you, and the cue is made exactly as you want it from the design aspect
and more importantly, the cue's actual specifications rather than just entrust that to "any" cue-maker,
you likely will wind up with a cue for a lifetime. I know that if I had been able to do that with Ed Prewitt
or even better yet, Joel Hercek, then rest assured that cue would surely qualify as my lifetime cue.

It is the cue-maker that determines whether the cue qualifies as your lifetime cue. Let's be truthful and
candid. Some cue-makers are just better than others and it shows up with the cues they produce. The
customer can either entrust the cue build to the cue-maker and just say make my cue 19.5 ozs and
sit at home waiting for it. Or you can work with the cue-maker and decide the weights and sizes of
the cue's components that you want. If it is the right cue-maker, then either approach should result
in a satisfied customer. I just happen to think that when you are spending money, you should get
what you want, not what someone else thinks you'd want and this is especially true for custom cues.

You do not see any of my cues going up for sale and two of my cues were purchased through the
resale market so I had zero input with both cues which were admittedly expensive cues (Prewitt &
Scruggs Cues). Each looks and plays really nice but the customs I had Bob & Jerry make play a
bit better. And of all my cues, my last cue from Mr. Owen plays the best of my collection. It was
built exactly as I ordered down to the size and weight of the shafts to the cue butt size and weight.
The weight proportionality is exactly as requested and the workmanship is comparable with anyone
making cues today for the design that I asked for. Yeah, that's definitely a cue of a lifetime but so is
my last Jerry R. that was built the very same way. Find a cue-maker you admire, trust and work with
them building a cue built just for you as you like it instead of the general pool playing public.

Cudos to Kevin for creating this thread and I can't wait to see what he winds up with. Kevin already
has the most gorgeous Scruggs cue I've seen so if he is excited about this cue underway, rest
assured it will be a real humdinger. Kevin, did you select with Eddie Cohen as your cue-maker?

Matt B.

"My Pool Cues"

*Bob Owen Custom- Level 8 (s/d 4-24-16) - Flat Ivory Joint
*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 6 (s/d 5-4-16) - Flat Ivory Joint

*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 8 (s/d 2-23-15) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Ed Prewitt Custom '05 - Level 8 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Bob Owen Custom - Level 8 (s/d 5-4-14) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Tim Scruggs Custom (9-6-95) Level 7 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Runde Schon '85 Custom "R" Series (1 of 1)
*Palmer (Original) - '72 (All Cocobolo Wood)

Page 3 of 3 123

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: