Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Tournament Talk > Derby City Classic/Southern Classic
Reload this Page 2008 DCC Room - ??? Name change ??? Volunteers ???
Page 7 of 7 « First 567

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#91)
Rich R.
AzB Silver Member
Rich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

01-26-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball1950
TAP TAP TAP...Well Said Rich....see you in October. Maybe someday you and the wife can make it up to a Turning Stone Tournament.......mike
Mike, I have considered Turning Stone and it may be in our future.

Rich R.

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent.

Last edited by Rich R.; 01-27-2007 at 07:12 AM.

Old
  (#92)
elvicash
AzB Silver Member
elvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 87

01-26-2007, 09:55 PM

No matter what lets have a room next year

I will be there no matter what it is called

I hung out some and met some AZ members, Good times for sure

I paid I played and only want to know who do I need to thank.

WBM, Steve, Timberly - Thanks alot

Greg - Thanks for the Derby and the room you are great

Mike - Thanks for this site

Lets all get along now,,,,,,,

Hi Runs 14.1-52 (age+3) 9B-5 8B-3
Straight Lock / Five Cents / Kingfish / Fontaine

True Racks Available Now -- www.thetruerack.com

Old
  (#93)
Rich R.
AzB Silver Member
Rich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

01-26-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eydie Romano
Rich, I meant no disrespect towards the CCB dinner. I was just trying to make a point.

From what I understand "the powers that be" here on AZB will be taking a more active roll next year.
Eydie, I took no offense. I was just adding a little information to clarify the situation.

If AZB wants to have any control over the AZB events, it is imperative for them to take a more active roll. IMHO.

Rich R.

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent.

Old
  (#94)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-26-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchez
I hesitated in posting this but after hearing several people refer to Tom & his reason for wanting the AZBilliards room, I finally feel like it needs to be said. Sure, Tom was a friendly guy that loved to talk & what better way to have a captive audience then to have a room where all could gather. But, also remember that Tom was a hustler. What better way to get a bunch of people together for him to play? .........

I am just sorry that I never got to see Tom carry out 'his dream' of the DCC.

I guess I don't understand this post. Tom Ferry was there last year. We all spent several hours with him in the AZ Room. I had dinner with him a couple of times. How did he not carry out "his dream" of the DCC?

They still carry around the Tom Ferry news story around one or two of the booths at the DCC. He had a copy in the AZ room last year. Who he was was no mystery to anyone. And he graced us with his presence and his stories. I hope people played him, and I hope he got whatever he was looking for.

Fred

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Last edited by Cornerman; 01-26-2007 at 10:18 PM.

Old
  (#95)
Timberly

vCash:

01-26-2007, 10:24 PM

Fred, I don't know for sure what watchez meant but I took the dream statement as meaning Tom never won one of the three tournaments or the all around.

Were they selling the posters at Derby?? I would love to have one and I think it would be a nice gesture to have the poster up in the room each yr.

Old
  (#96)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-27-2007, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Madden
What about:
"THE TOM FERRY ROOM OF EXCELLENCE"
"sponsored by AZBilliards.com and OnePocket.org forum members"
Hey Jack,

Tom would turn over in his grave if he heard his name and excellence in the same sentence. He always acted like he couldn't play at all. Tom prefered to stay in the background at most tournaments and be a "sniper", picking off the lesser players in the backroom. He wouldn't mess with a guy who played your speed.

I never knew how well he played and I knew him for 30 years as Tom Martin. We played once in L.A. and he won the first game and I won the second. He quit and smiled at me and said "To much see saw".

Old
  (#97)
watchez
What time is it?
watchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5625

01-27-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthornto
I did not really know Tom. In fact, the only time I ever spoke with him was briefly at the AZ Room last year. In that one conversation I was left with the distinct impression that he was disappointed that there was not a lot gambling going on. Each evening when I would see him come to the room, he would always head out shortly after getting there to find some action.

I did not know Tom, so I am not qualified to try and interpret his actions, but what I saw is right in line with what you are saying.
Thanks mthornto. I posted this in another thread but thought it might be read here too.

Nice detective work Timberly....here are the quotes by Tom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHasBeen
Hell, I might want to have a CRAP GAME on the table when it is my turn.
Quote:
I just only hope all you fine people don't find out that I have been "Just A Lot Of Talk & No Action" as far as my playing capabilities go.
Oh well, I'll just have to bring some extra cash.
Quote:
Mike - If I'm the Hustler, I need the table 24/7 for the entire tourney. If I'm the Hustleee, I'll only need it for about 20 minutes or so..
So NoStroke, the expert, still think that Tom wasn't looking forward to the AZBilliard room as a great place to hustle the nice pool folk of AZ. Believe me, if Tom was in good health the first year, things would have been different. His 'dream' wasn't winning one of the DCC tournaments. His dream was to have 10 days of cash games with the AZers & filling his pockets.

Old
  (#98)
Jack Madden
John Madden Cues
Jack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond repute

01-27-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert
Hey Jack,

Tom would turn over in his grave if he heard his name and excellence in the same sentence. He always acted like he couldn't play at all. Tom prefered to stay in the background at most tournaments and be a "sniper", picking off the lesser players in the backroom. He wouldn't mess with a guy who played your speed.

I never knew how well he played and I knew him for 30 years as Tom Martin. We played once in L.A. and he won the first game and I won the second. He quit and smiled at me and said "To much see saw".
Jay,
Thanks for the compliment and thanks for the background ---- "to much see saw" - haven't heard that in awhile. Sounds like a smart hustler. Tom Martin sounds familiar but I think its another Tom Martin I know.

Jack
John Madden Custom Cues
Voting Member of American Cuemakers Association
www.johnmaddencues.com
406-745-3562

Old
  (#99)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

01-28-2007, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberly
Were they selling the posters at Derby?? I would love to have one and I think it would be a nice gesture to have the poster up in the room each yr.
No, they weren't selling it. It was up in one of the booths.

And as far as Watchez' comments, I don't have much of a response that would make any difference. I think a lot of people may come to these types of meet and greets with one type of expectation, and come away with a whole different view.

Fred

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#100)
Nostroke
AzB Silver Member

Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 10475
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
01-28-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchez
Thanks mthornto. I posted this in another thread but thought it might be read here too.

Nice detective work Timberly....here are the quotes by Tom.

So NoStroke, the expert, still think that Tom wasn't looking forward to the AZBilliard room as a great place to hustle the nice pool folk of AZ. Believe me, if Tom was in good health the first year, things would have been different. His 'dream' wasn't winning one of the DCC tournaments. His dream was to have 10 days of cash games with the AZers & filling his pockets.
And im sure that was really aided by the 4ft x 6ft blow up newspaper article of his life as a hustler that he brought along and hung up on the AZB room wall.

Old
  (#101)
watchez
What time is it?
watchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5625

01-28-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostroke
And im sure that was really aided by the 4ft x 6ft blow up newspaper article of his life as a hustler that he brought along and hung up on the AZB room wall.
Hey genius Nostroke, here is a question....Did you ever in your life meet or talk to Tom?

Was this before or after he was diagnosed with life ending cancer?

The 4ft x 6ft blow up newspaper article was brought & hung up when he barely had enough energy to get out of bed in the morning, had 3 months left to live in his life, and didn't think about playing pool, hustling or not, for money anymore. If you were at the DCC in 2006, you will remember that Tom spent 4-5 days there before having to go home DUE TO HIS ILLNESS. He wasn't there to hustle like he was in the years past. Go back & find his threads of how he did playing for money at the DCCs prior to 2006. And I can bet that he there aren't too many people that saw him play because he was sure to not make a big scene out of it.

Old
  (#102)
1pocket
Steve Booth

1pocket has a reputation beyond repute1pocket has a reputation beyond repute1pocket has a reputation beyond repute1pocket has a reputation beyond repute1pocket has a reputation beyond repute1pocket has a reputation beyond repute1pocket has a reputation beyond repute1pocket has a reputation beyond repute1pocket has a reputation beyond repute1pocket has a reputation beyond repute1pocket has a reputation beyond repute

01-28-2007, 06:28 PM

I steered AZ & 1P members Tom Ferry and Danny Kolacz together in 2005 because I thought maybe they played similar speed. I'm sure they played for something, but I do not believe it was much more than what would have amounted to 'friendly' stakes for those two. IIRC Tom won the One Pocket and Danny the 9-Ball. It was described to me later as a friendly game.

I think at that stage in his life Tom had pretty much retired from hustling. In fact, I can't imagine any true hustler posting the kind of details Tom enjoyed posting on these forums if he was still scuffling 'in the trenches'. I take his word for it that he had indeed pretty much retired from hustling to push his 'Community Magnets' business.

Hustlers eventually are all forced into retirement, even the best of them, whether it's age, bad eyes or just a failing of judgement, or maybe even a day job . That's one of the things that makes the One Pocket Hall of Fame dinner special -- all those retired hustlers that are now open to revealing their true character, in the spotlight, and it can be quite touching!

"One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure", Strawberry Brooks
Learn more about Strawberry and other legends of One Pocket: One Pocket Hall of Fame

Browse my pool photography galleries here: www.poolinaction.com

DCC AZ/One Pocket Room
Old
  (#103)
JohnInNH
AzB Silver Member
JohnInNH has a reputation beyond reputeJohnInNH has a reputation beyond reputeJohnInNH has a reputation beyond reputeJohnInNH has a reputation beyond reputeJohnInNH has a reputation beyond reputeJohnInNH has a reputation beyond reputeJohnInNH has a reputation beyond reputeJohnInNH has a reputation beyond reputeJohnInNH has a reputation beyond reputeJohnInNH has a reputation beyond reputeJohnInNH has a reputation beyond repute

DCC AZ/One Pocket Room - 12-15-2007, 06:01 PM

I am not in favor of re-naming the room for the simple reason that for the last 4 years it has been the AZ/One Pocket room, anything else would not have the same meaning to me, whatever name you give it will still be the AZ/One Pocket Room no matter how you describe it.

Thanks,

John

Page 7 of 7 « First 567

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: