Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page What do you do when you feel like you HAVE to take a low percentage shot?
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
JXMIKE
Aspiring Pro player
JXMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeJXMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeJXMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeJXMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeJXMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeJXMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeJXMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeJXMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeJXMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeJXMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeJXMIKE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1750

05-04-2009, 07:34 PM

When the shot is as hard as the safe then take the shot, you can sell out on a safety and lose control of the table just as easily.

"Learn everything, use what works."

-Bruce lee

I missed once to see how it feels.

Proud new joss owner.

Old
  (#17)
BVal
AzB Silver Member
BVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 217

05-04-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaTrigger View Post
Stay down and follow through with all my muster.
I agree. You can't forget to keep your head down.

BVal

Old
  (#18)
JasonCrugar
analysis paralysis
JasonCrugar has a reputation beyond reputeJasonCrugar has a reputation beyond reputeJasonCrugar has a reputation beyond reputeJasonCrugar has a reputation beyond reputeJasonCrugar has a reputation beyond reputeJasonCrugar has a reputation beyond reputeJasonCrugar has a reputation beyond reputeJasonCrugar has a reputation beyond reputeJasonCrugar has a reputation beyond reputeJasonCrugar has a reputation beyond reputeJasonCrugar has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5000
  Send a message via Yahoo to JasonCrugar  
05-04-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVal View Post
I have never actually seen you play EVER! The only time I actually ever met you was at the Desert Dust Off and even then you failed to introduce yourself. It wasn't until days later that I actually knew I met you. I have been waiting to see you at the same tourney I have been at for years now CooCoo. Hell you even said you beat me once when in fact we have never actually met. I think you really need to see a doctor and get your memory checked. Seriously.

I have talked to people that have seen you play recently and unless you are "laying down" BIG TIME, you haven't learned any tricks. Your game doesn't scare me. What scares me is that you probably drive around some of the same parts of the city as me.

BVal
i knew you guys couldnt ignore each other for long!!!!! you guys should have an arguing contest...wait that started a ways back lol

Old
  (#19)
djpstacked03
Student of Billiards
djpstacked03 has a reputation beyond reputedjpstacked03 has a reputation beyond reputedjpstacked03 has a reputation beyond reputedjpstacked03 has a reputation beyond reputedjpstacked03 has a reputation beyond reputedjpstacked03 has a reputation beyond reputedjpstacked03 has a reputation beyond reputedjpstacked03 has a reputation beyond reputedjpstacked03 has a reputation beyond reputedjpstacked03 has a reputation beyond reputedjpstacked03 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Talking 05-04-2009, 08:51 PM

I find that a good defensive game = a strong offensive game with ball in hand. You have to really weigh the shot out. What is more probable the safety or the aggresive shot. If I make the aggresive shot im a hero and if I dont he or she is out. I rather the latter. He who laughs last laughs the longest.

Old
  (#20)
JasonCrugar
analysis paralysis
JasonCrugar has a reputation beyond reputeJasonCrugar has a reputation beyond reputeJasonCrugar has a reputation beyond reputeJasonCrugar has a reputation beyond reputeJasonCrugar has a reputation beyond reputeJasonCrugar has a reputation beyond reputeJasonCrugar has a reputation beyond reputeJasonCrugar has a reputation beyond reputeJasonCrugar has a reputation beyond reputeJasonCrugar has a reputation beyond reputeJasonCrugar has a reputation beyond repute

05-04-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXMIKE View Post
When the shot is as hard as the safe then take the shot, you can sell out on a safety and lose control of the table just as easily.
when you get a tough shot and a tough safe go for the shot. it helps keep me in the mentality of try to win instead of trying not to lose. plus if you fire in the tough shot and get out it mindf***s your opponent lol

Old
  (#21)
grindz
AzB Silver Member
grindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

05-04-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoboloCowboy View Post
.................................................. .....I hear there may soon be a NEW Room on Bell Road West of I-17 that will be ALL Diamonds, that is close to me. Maybe they will do as I heard 3-4 night a weeks tournaments. Mostly catering to the 8's and under.

..........................!
Do Tell............................ Inquiring minds want to know...

td

Old
  (#22)
grindz
AzB Silver Member
grindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond repute

05-04-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaTrigger View Post
Stay down and follow through with all my muster.
I put 'juice' on the ball.

You use Mustard???!!!

td

Old
  (#23)
JasonCrugar
analysis paralysis

05-04-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpstacked03 View Post
I find that a good defensive game = a strong offensive game with ball in hand. You have to really weigh the shot out. What is more probable the safety or the aggresive shot. If I make the aggresive shot im a hero and if I dont he or she is out. I rather the latter. He who laughs last laughs the longest.
very true. but if you blow the safety and sell out, not only do they laugh longer, it stings alot more when you had the chance to win and you tried to duck cuz you are unsure of running out. i believe in safes. cant win without them. im just saying when given the choice between tough safe and tough shot im firing at that mofo.

Old
  (#24)
DogsPlayingPool
"What's in your wallet?"
DogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond repute

05-04-2009, 09:11 PM

I'm not sure how to answer this because the question posed in the thread title is a little different than the one posed in your OP. But, to respond to the title question:

Quote:
What do you do when you feel like you HAVE to take a low percentage shot?

I would commit to the shot 110%. Look at the layout, determine the cut, speed and tip placement required for position, then go through my preshot routine: get down, take dead aim, stroke with confidence and focus, and stay down on the shot.

This of course assumes there IS no viable safety since if there were then I wouldn't feel as though I HAVE to take a low percentage shot.

If there is a viable safety, then it's like any other decision that has alternatives. Weigh the choices and go with it. Again with total commitment.

"It's not enough that you just have talent, you gotta have character too." - Eddie Felson

Old
  (#25)
CreeDo
Fargo Rating 597
CreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to CreeDo  
05-04-2009, 10:49 PM

Cameron's got a good point, I'm definitely That Guy who always wants to run out. I sort of lose interest if I don't. I still try to win but I don't enjoy it as much.

I've seen a lot of sellouts on safeties... enough to know that I'd rather take a flyer at a tough shot if A. The leave is fairly high percentage, and I should be out or B. there's a clear 2-way going on where I leave the other guy crap if I miss.

A very bad habit that some people find hard to break... taking a flyer when you have no chance of getting on the next ball and no hope of getting out. Another very bad habit is cinching the really tough shot and not paying attention to leave. It's useless to focus really hard on making a tough shot when then having nothing to show for it. If the shot's already a 15% shot for you, go ahead and spin that cue ball and try for a good leave. If that drops your make percentage to 10%, so be it. You're already in trouble, make the best of it.

Everyone's luck runs out sometime, don't force yourself to do crap like back-to-back razor thin cuts or full table banks, the percentages catch up and you're gonna miss. Only do the flyer when success = probably winning the game.

Old
  (#26)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

05-05-2009, 04:28 AM

Buddy Hall had a VHS on 9 Ball safties, it was one of the BEST DVD i ever say on Safe Shots. Not sure of the name of the DVD, but it was by Buddy "the rifleman" Hall.

Old
  (#27)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

Lightbulb 05-05-2009, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVal View Post

The new TD runs the Sunday tourneys just fine. It's not rocket Science.

BVal

There must be something to be a TD, as Jay Halfert was imported from LA Last Year to the Valley to run a big money tournament in Phoenix, wonder why the promoter felt it was necessary to bring in an expert for that event?

Old
  (#28)
JasonCrugar
analysis paralysis

05-05-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoboloCowboy View Post
There must be something to be a TD, as Jay Halfert was imported from LA Last Year to the Valley to run a big money tournament in Phoenix, wonder why the promoter felt it was necessary to bring in an expert for that event?
holy crap did coocoo just make sense it was bound to happen after 38000000 posts lmao

Old
  (#29)
the420trooper
Free T-Rex
the420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

05-05-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCrugar View Post
holy crap did coocoo just make sense it was bound to happen after 38000000 posts lmao
You must be counting PoolSleuth's posts, also....

(Not that there's anything wrong with that....)

Old
  (#30)
TXsouthpaw
My tush hog
TXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond repute

05-05-2009, 07:39 AM

I say the hell with position and fire the ball in, and hope i get some kinda shape on the next shot.

Like diliberto said, dont lose on a phony safety. I rather go down firing than go down ducking.

Im at my best when my backs against a wall anyways.

When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience.- Proverb

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: