Questions about big spots
Old
  (#1)
peteWazzup
AzB Silver Member
peteWazzup has a reputation beyond reputepeteWazzup has a reputation beyond reputepeteWazzup has a reputation beyond reputepeteWazzup has a reputation beyond reputepeteWazzup has a reputation beyond reputepeteWazzup has a reputation beyond reputepeteWazzup has a reputation beyond reputepeteWazzup has a reputation beyond reputepeteWazzup has a reputation beyond reputepeteWazzup has a reputation beyond reputepeteWazzup has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Questions about big spots - 07-01-2010, 09:04 PM

I have had a bunch of different answers to this question and it seems that I don't know what I am talking about so I am hoping I can get a consensus clarification on the following questions. Thanks.

1. The orange crush. Please someone finally tell me once and for all what the hell this means. I was under the impression that it meant breaks, BIH after break, and the five ball only. Then I hear its only the five ball, no breaks. Then I hear its the five out with/wo the breaks. Which is it, or is it none of these.

2. On the same topic. Is the five ball only a really big spot or does it just appear to be so.

Old
  (#2)
Neil
AzB Silver Member
Neil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2200

07-01-2010, 10:09 PM

Last edited by Neil; 07-14-2012 at 04:30 AM.

Old
  (#3)
PaulieB
AzB Silver Member
PaulieB has a reputation beyond reputePaulieB has a reputation beyond reputePaulieB has a reputation beyond reputePaulieB has a reputation beyond reputePaulieB has a reputation beyond reputePaulieB has a reputation beyond reputePaulieB has a reputation beyond reputePaulieB has a reputation beyond reputePaulieB has a reputation beyond reputePaulieB has a reputation beyond reputePaulieB has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2000

07-02-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteWazzup View Post
I was under the impression that it meant breaks, BIH after break, and the five ball only.
This is what I know it as. Anyone that says it's just the 5 ball doesn't get the whole "crush" part of the phrase. I've always seen it as the break, bih after break (this sometimes varies, usually only when bickering regarding weight), and 5 ball spot ... not the 5 and out.

Old
  (#4)
Gatz
AzB Silver Member
Gatz has a reputation beyond reputeGatz has a reputation beyond reputeGatz has a reputation beyond reputeGatz has a reputation beyond reputeGatz has a reputation beyond reputeGatz has a reputation beyond reputeGatz has a reputation beyond reputeGatz has a reputation beyond reputeGatz has a reputation beyond reputeGatz has a reputation beyond reputeGatz has a reputation beyond repute

07-02-2010, 04:35 AM

I always thought the Orange crush was the 5 ball and out and all of the breaks. Which is a pretty ridiculous spot for anybody if you ask me lol

tap tap
Old
  (#5)
rayshooter22
AzB Silver Member
rayshooter22 has a reputation beyond reputerayshooter22 has a reputation beyond reputerayshooter22 has a reputation beyond reputerayshooter22 has a reputation beyond reputerayshooter22 has a reputation beyond reputerayshooter22 has a reputation beyond reputerayshooter22 has a reputation beyond reputerayshooter22 has a reputation beyond reputerayshooter22 has a reputation beyond reputerayshooter22 has a reputation beyond reputerayshooter22 has a reputation beyond repute

tap tap - 07-02-2010, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatz View Post
I always thought the Orange crush was the 5 ball and out and all of the breaks. Which is a pretty ridiculous spot for anybody if you ask me lol
Yes sir..........

4 x National Champion
3 x ACUI Collegiate National Champion (tied for most all time)
1 x US Amateur Champion
OB Cues Player Representative

"Hard work, preparation and accountability will put you on the doorstep of success... Courage will get you over the threshold"

Visit my online store for the best deals on industry leading brand name gear!

mkt.com/LinaresProPoolDiscount

Old
  (#6)
sfleinen
14.1 & One Pocket Addict
sfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

07-02-2010, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatz View Post
I think that would be more appropriately called the "orange-out crush" rather than "orange crush". Whenever I offered the orange crush to players, it was only the 5-ball and the breaks, nothing else. I always made sure to clarify and verify with my opponent his understanding of what "orange crush" entails before he broke the first rack, though.

It appears that folk aren't interpreting the "crush" part correctly, or are reading too far into the soda analogy -- as if, "that orange crush soda is so delicious, there has to be more to this spot than 'just' the 5-ball -- it's 'gotta' be 5-ball and out, to make it this delicious." Or something like that.

In the phrase "5-ball and out", the "...and out" part always needs to be part of the colloquial term, to make it clear. Nothing should *ever* be implied.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful.
-Sean

"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." -Isaac Asimov

"They haven't got brains, any of them, only grey fluff that's blown into their heads by mistake, and they don't think." -Eeyore, The House at Pooh Corner

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: