Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Inexpensive setup to do your own tips ...
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
shafts
Old
  (#16)
mortuarymike-nv
mortuarymike-nv
mortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

shafts - 09-10-2013, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
I run a piece of painters tape around the shaft where it contacts the wheels, being meticulous about getting it on tightly to where there are no wrinkles in the tape.

Listen, I only use my home-made lathe for doing tip repair, and it works GREAT for that. I've had people I have done tip jobs for tell me that I do a better job than Ft. Worth Billiard Supply does.

If you think I'm spending big bucks on a REAL lathe just for doing tip jobs that you nor anyone else with an expensive lathe could not do any better, then I've got a ski resort down here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area I'll sell you for cheap !!!

Oh, and by the way, my little home-made lathe has NEVER marked up a shaft.

3andstop, I'll try to get you some pics before weeks end (really busy).

Maniac
You may not of marked up a shaft, but there is a lot of people who have messed up a shaft with the exact same machine.

I am not trying to put your efforts down. There is more then one way to install a tip.
But I have read over and over where these machines have damage some ones shaft.

These machines have that reputation ,that they put black marks or dent the shafts.
Operator error or not , these machines have that rep.
Really makes no difference to me what anyone uses , I just hope they don't destroy a shaft they really like.
IMO a lathe is the best tool for the job.

Investing a few thousand into a lathe and having room to set it up is not a option for everyone. But its still is the best tool .

MMIke

MMike

Old
  (#17)
3andstop
Focus
3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-10-2013, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortuarymike-nv View Post
You may not of marked up a shaft, but there is a lot of people who have messed up a shaft with the exact same machine.

I am not trying to put your efforts down. There is more then one way to install a tip.

These machines have that reputation ,that they put black marks or dent the shafts.
Really makes no difference to me what anyone uses , I just hope they don't destroy a shaft they really like.

Investing a few thousand into a lathe and having room to set it up is not a option for everyone. But its still is the best tool .

MMIke
Maniac is not the guy with this machine first of all, I am ... secondly, I guess you still didn't read what I wrote specifically on this point. I use plastic clear hose .. (tubing) slide it over the shaft after you remove the tip. Then, secure it from sliding by simply using some painters tape on the end of the hose.

The hose acts as a collet ... the wheels NEVER touch the shaft ... the hose does not rotate and there is zero chance of harming the shaft. Your concern is a non issue if the person using the machine has half a brain to take common sense precautions.

"If ya knew what you didn't know, you wouldn't not know it." Danny DiLiberto.

Old
  (#18)
ArizonaPete
AzB Silver Member
ArizonaPete has a reputation beyond reputeArizonaPete has a reputation beyond reputeArizonaPete has a reputation beyond reputeArizonaPete has a reputation beyond reputeArizonaPete has a reputation beyond reputeArizonaPete has a reputation beyond reputeArizonaPete has a reputation beyond reputeArizonaPete has a reputation beyond reputeArizonaPete has a reputation beyond reputeArizonaPete has a reputation beyond reputeArizonaPete has a reputation beyond repute

09-10-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
clever idea and thanks for sharing.

if you don't mind....i am curious about something.....

what is the "rubber holder" that is chucked up to your drill? is it some kind of a jacobs chuck that you purchased somewhere or something that you fabricated yourself? would you mind posting a close up picture of it?

thanks.

I used a rubber cane tip purchased from Walgreen's Drug Store for around $3.00 for a shaft holder. I also used a crutch tip for a butt holder on a 1 piece cue. Drill a hole in the center and then install a 1/4" or 3/8" bolt so that you can mount it on an electric drill. I had a similiar set up (but not so elaborate) and used it for several years without any problems. The polyethylene tubing prevents any marking to the cue shaft. I was then fortunate in running across a Harbor Freight metal lathe in a garage sale that I bought for $75. The seller was moving out of town and it was the last evening of the sale. She was asking $150 but accepted my offer of $75 just to get rid of it. Lucky me.

Last edited by ArizonaPete; 09-10-2013 at 06:27 AM.

Old
  (#19)
Maniac
2manyQ's
Maniac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond repute

09-10-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:

MMIke
I cannot agree more that a real lathe is the best tool. But like I stated before, I'm not spending big money for a machine to rotate a shaft to do a tip job maybe seven or eight times a year. What I have, and the VERY little money I have invested in it, does a great job.

As far as "operator error", I believe it is important to use a little common sense when using the wheel rollers to hold the end of the shaft steady. First off, like I previously mentioned, I use a strip of 2" painters tape to cover the wood where it makes contact with the rollers so it cannot have a mark "frictioned" (is that a word??? ) onto it. Then, I only set the shaft onto the bottom rollers and let gravity (not tightening down) hold the top roller to keep the shaft from jumping around. This system has been used for about 4 years now, estimating I've done about 30-40 tip jobs without marking or damaging in any way a single shaft. Believe you me, a person without knowledge can screw up a shaft on a real lathe just as easily as someone could on their home-made lathe (I don't really like to refer to it as a "lathe", more like a "shaft-spinner").

I never thought you were trying to put my efforts down. A warning about damaged shafts using the wheel rollers cannot be construed as anything but constructive advice, and I (and others should) appreciate the warning.
But I've had enough success with my "method" of using this setup now as I don't even consider a damaged shaft a possibility. I will however, continue to be careful and take things slow and easy.

Have a good day, my friend!!!

Maniac

Playing cues: 2 Larry Vigus 60" customs, Jacoby D11 w/314-2
Break/jump cues: Larry Vigus 60"dedicated break, Jerico Stinger, Jacoby jump cue
Cases: JB Ultimate Rugged 3x6, 2 Sterling Wave 4x8's, Sterling butterfly

"I try to think, but nothing happens!" Curly Howard

Old
  (#20)
Maniac
2manyQ's
Maniac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond repute

09-10-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPete View Post
I used a rubber cane tip purchased from Walgreen's Drug Store for around $3.00 for a shaft holder. I also used a crutch tip for a butt holder on a 1 piece cue. Drill a hole in the center and then install a 1/4" or 3/8" bolt so that you can mount it on an electric drill. I had a similiar set up (but not so elaborate) and used it for several years without any problems. The polyethylene tubing prevents any marking to the cue shaft. I was then fortunate in running across a Harbor Freight metal lathe in a garage sale that I bought for $75. The seller was moving out of town and it was the last evening of the sale. She was asking $150 but accepted my offer of $75 just to get rid of it. Lucky me.
I use a stove bolt with the head cut off and ground smooth to hold my crutch/cane tips. The smooth shaft on the stove bolt makes for a better fit in the drill chuck as opposed to putting a threaded bolt into it.

All in all, not counting the drill ($30), wheel rollers ($50) and the store-bought arbors (about $6 apiece), and using parts I had laying around the garage, I've got less than $5 invested in my "shaft-spinner".

Maniac

Break/jump cues: Larry Vigus 60"dedicated break, Jerico Stinger, Jacoby jump cue

Old
  (#21)
mortuarymike-nv
mortuarymike-nv
mortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond repute

09-10-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3andstop View Post
Maniac is not the guy with this machine first of all, I am ... secondly, I guess you still didn't read what I wrote specifically on this point. I use plastic clear hose .. (tubing) slide it over the shaft after you remove the tip. Then, secure it from sliding by simply using some painters tape on the end of the hose.

The hose acts as a collet ... the wheels NEVER touch the shaft ... the hose does not rotate and there is zero chance of harming the shaft. Your concern is a non issue if the person using the machine has half a brain to take common sense precautions.

There is always a chance of screwing up a shaft no matter what is used.
And the machine you are using has a lot of angry customers.

There is no reason to be sarcastic , Its not my fault that so many people have had issues with the same machine.

I am only repeating what I have read from the cue makers section.
And I am not willing to jump in the sand box and argue about how anyone replaces a tip.

MMike

MMike

Old
  (#22)
3andstop
Focus
3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute

09-10-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
There is always a chance of screwing up a shaft no matter what is used.
And the machine you are using has a lot of angry customers.

There is no reason to be sarcastic , Its not my fault that so many people have had issues with the same machine.

I am only repeating what I have read from the cue makers section.
And I am not willing to jump in the sand box and argue about how anyone replaces a tip.

MMike

Not at all sarcastic. Absolutely realistic. There are more horse's asses than there are horses out there, and no doubt the complaints about that specific issue came from the idiots who let the wheels roll on the shaft instead of a protective sleeve. What happened to them was supposed to happen to them.

In fact, it's good that you brought it up ... who knows, there may be a horse's ass putting one together as we speak, and the topic just might have saved them.

Not to mention, I'd imagine in the cue makers section, they would rather see folks bring tip replacements to them rather than have it get around that a mickey mouse lathe can do a decent job on tips also. If I was a cue maker I'd tell em all that the shaft will explode if you try to do it youself on one of those homemade lathes.

Old
  (#23)
abbassi
AzB Silver Member
abbassi has a reputation beyond reputeabbassi has a reputation beyond reputeabbassi has a reputation beyond reputeabbassi has a reputation beyond reputeabbassi has a reputation beyond reputeabbassi has a reputation beyond reputeabbassi has a reputation beyond reputeabbassi has a reputation beyond reputeabbassi has a reputation beyond reputeabbassi has a reputation beyond reputeabbassi has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

09-10-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
When it marks up one of your shafts please post your opinion then.

How do you plan on running those hard wheels against soft maple.

MMike
LOL, I was thinking the same thing. All the setup to save $10 on tip installation from a professional installation once or twice a year.

Don't call me a racist if I want justice

Old
  (#24)
Celophanewrap
Call me Grace
Celophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond repute

09-10-2013, 12:38 PM

I had a similar set up for a while with that POS steady rest with the black hard rubber wheels. even with the tape and the the supplied piece of rubber hose they called a "collet" it still left a circular rut that my shaft never recovered from. I switched the hard rubber wheels to wide gum skateboard wheels and the thing worked out a 100% better. It's still good for clean and wraps but I'd probably never put another shaft on it. But if it works for you then go with it, nice set-up.

Last edited by Celophanewrap; 09-10-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Old
  (#25)
3andstop
Focus

09-10-2013, 01:03 PM

Doing one's own repairs is not for everyone. Not cue tips, not home improvements, not auto repairs, shoot maybe not tying one's own shoes.

This damned hose is 1/2" ID and 3/4" OD. That's an 1/8th inch wall thickness. You cut the damned thing 2" long and slide it over the cue shaft so it is the only thing in contact with the wheels.

Now you don't call your two strongest friends over the house to hold down the top wheel onto the shaft, you merely loosen the screws and allow it to rest on the hose with only its own weight touching.

You would have to go out of your way to set it up in a fashion that would have any effect on the shaft what so ever. But again, fixing things isn't for everyone, and those who are challenged in that area are better left to have things done for them.

Now I suppose it does annoy me (and it shows) that something so obvious to some is the farthest from the understanding of others. Oh well ... for those with only two thumbs, this is a fine and easy way to install your own tips. Just use common sense.
Attached Images

Old
  (#26)
Ron Swanson
Banned
Ron Swanson has a reputation beyond reputeRon Swanson has a reputation beyond reputeRon Swanson has a reputation beyond reputeRon Swanson has a reputation beyond reputeRon Swanson has a reputation beyond reputeRon Swanson has a reputation beyond reputeRon Swanson has a reputation beyond reputeRon Swanson has a reputation beyond reputeRon Swanson has a reputation beyond reputeRon Swanson has a reputation beyond reputeRon Swanson has a reputation beyond repute

09-10-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbassi View Post
LOL, I was thinking the same thing. All the setup to save $10 on tip installation from a professional installation once or twice a year.
Not everyone has access to a professional installer.

There's some impressive stuff on this thread.

Old
  (#27)
Maniac
2manyQ's

09-10-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbassi View Post
C'mon abbissi, most TIPS cost at least $10. There isn't any professionals doing tip jobs for nothing but the cost of the tip.

Fort Worth Billiards Supply once charged me $30 for a Triangle tip install, and THAT was what prompted me to set up my home-made shaft spinner.

I do tip replacement for friends and teammates, so the once or twice a year doesn't hold water either. I charge them whatever the price of the tip is they want installed and have them buy me a Crown & Coke when I bring their shaft to them at the pool hall for labor. Pretty sweet deal for them if you ask me. FTR, I've had nothing but high praise for all the replacement tips I've installed.

Maniac

Last edited by Maniac; 09-10-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Old
  (#28)
Blue Hog ridr
World Famous Fisherman.
Blue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond repute

09-10-2013, 03:10 PM

I agree with Mike on this one. really, they are nice set ups that will get a tip and shaft maintenance done for you.

Honestly, I have read too many horror stories of people using those 3 wheeled steady rests. I know that you can put tape around the shaft but if you have to resort to that so as to not damage a shaft, I would rather not do it.

Chris Hightower, Todd and a couple of others can make or sell you a steady rest with a bearing in it or a 3 jaw chuck that could easily be adapted to your style of bed or just purchase a small piece of dove tail bed from Taig or any of the other people that I mentioned.

In the long run, you would have so much more peace of mind by using a bearing steady or a chuck and it wouldn't break the bank on you either.

You can still use the drill as a motor, nothing wrong with that way.

To play Pool, is to suffer.
To learn to be a better player, is to find some meaning in the suffering.

Dhurka, Dhurka, Allah, Muhammad Jihad

Old
  (#29)
abbassi
AzB Silver Member
abbassi has a reputation beyond reputeabbassi has a reputation beyond reputeabbassi has a reputation beyond reputeabbassi has a reputation beyond reputeabbassi has a reputation beyond reputeabbassi has a reputation beyond reputeabbassi has a reputation beyond reputeabbassi has a reputation beyond reputeabbassi has a reputation beyond reputeabbassi has a reputation beyond reputeabbassi has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

09-10-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
C'mon abbissi, most TIPS cost at least $10. There isn't any professionals doing tip jobs for nothing but the cost of the tip.

Fort Worth Billiards Supply once charged me $30 for a Triangle tip install, and THAT was what prompted me to set up my home-made shaft spinner.

I do tip replacement for friends and teammates, so the once or twice a year doesn't hold water either. I charge them whatever the price of the tip is they want installed and have them buy me a Crown & Coke when I bring their shaft to them at the pool hall for labor. Pretty sweet deal for them if you ask me. FTR, I've had nothing but high praise for all the replacement tips I've installed.

Maniac
Well, maybe people don't have access to someone with a lathe. By me, the pool halls have lathes. I usually bring a tip, some times not, and give the pool hall owner a chance to make a little extra money. Usually its 10 bucks. They already have a lathe setup just for that. I can do it myself at home, but why bother. On the lathe its 5 minutes.

Don't call me a racist if I want justice

Old
  (#30)
Maniac
2manyQ's

09-10-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hog ridr View Post

Chris Hightower, Todd and a couple of others can make or sell you a steady rest with a bearing in it or a 3 jaw chuck that could easily be adapted to your style of bed or just purchase a small piece of dove tail bed from Taig or any of the other people that I mentioned.

You can still use the drill as a motor, nothing wrong with that way.
Can you post a picture of this apparatus? I certainly am not at all opposed to making improvements.

Maniac

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: