Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Ask The Cuemaker
Reload this Page The elusive Balabushka gold glitter wedding band ribbon rings
Page 3 of 4 123 4

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#31)
classiccues
Enlightened.....
classiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-06-2019, 10:05 PM

If the seams were "undetectable" and the cue wasn't made for the person spouting the information, and George kept secrets like a vault, how would anyone know?

Just a thought....

But it is definitely something that could have been done if someone wanted to. Either by cutting a groove, which is what I would suspect in Georges time, or by turning the whole handle down sliding the rings on then sliding a cored handle piece over the long tenon. Which would seem like a huge waste of time, IMHO, and more complicated in Georges time for a small shop owner.

JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins View Post
At least one exsits. I think it was Pete that told me the story of a cue George made for someone that insisted the full splice cue to stay in tact but still have an indexed ring above the wrap. George built a two piece split ring where the seams were undetectable.

That said the glitter bands were obviously able to be used on full splice forearms.

www.classiccues.com
Large Cue listing and cases are coming

Updated 6/21/19 A LOT CUES... all NEW

Premium Custom Cues for Sale and Vintage Billiard and Pool Exchange on Facebook....

Please do not ask me "What is my best price?".. We both know after I give you that number you're going to lowball me anyways.. just make your offer so we can both move on.. Thanks...

Old
  (#32)
skins
Likes to draw
skins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-07-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccues View Post
If the seams were "undetectable" and the cue wasn't made for the person spouting the information, and George kept secrets like a vault, how would anyone know?

Just a thought....

But it is definitely something that could have been done if someone wanted to. Either by cutting a groove, which is what I would suspect in Georges time, or by turning the whole handle down sliding the rings on then sliding a cored handle piece over the long tenon. Which would seem like a huge waste of time, IMHO, and more complicated in Georges time for a small shop owner.

JV
Undetectable? I used that word in a more untrained eye way. Of course it could be detected. The one who told me could see it. I'm sure it didnt stand out though. From what I understand I don't think George would have done it if he couldn't make it look good.

That said how hidden the seams were might depend on what elements were used in the ring. I was told it was a two piece split ring. A groove similar to what George did for his gold glitter bands would have been done. I think it was an ivory (or white phenolic) and ebony (or black phenolic) indexed block ring. The splits could have either been done somewhere in the black blocks or, if they lined up, where the white and black blocks met or both depending how things lined up with the ring. Either way I can see how it could be done to look like a it was a one piece ring....

If a silver ring was used then that may have been tough to hide.

Design is a fingerprint of the mind....

Old
  (#33)
cueman
AzB Silver Member

cueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

06-07-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideologist View Post
Having seen a sample strip of this material, I can say that's impossible. It's a thicker material than foil. At least 2mm thick plastic
Maybe what was meant by George is the fancy boxes candy came in.

Old
  (#34)
cueman
AzB Silver Member

cueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

06-07-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins View Post
Undetectable? I used that word in a more untrained eye way. Of course it could be detected. The one who told me could see it. I'm sure it didnt stand out though. From what I understand I don't think George would have done it if he couldn't make it look good.

That said how hidden the seams were might depend on what elements were used in the ring. I was told it was a two piece split ring. A groove similar to what George did for his gold glitter bands would have been done. I think it was an ivory (or white phenolic) and ebony (or black phenolic) indexed block ring. The splits could have either been done somewhere in the black blocks or, if they lined up, where the white and black blocks met or both depending how things lined up with the ring. Either way I can see how it could be done to look like a it was a one piece ring....

If a silver ring was used then that may have been tough to hide.
That would be easy enough with slot rings. You would need two rings to cut and make one perfect split ring.. But any solid ring would be tough to cut and make it look good.

Old
  (#35)
JC
Needs Moderation

JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

06-07-2019, 11:33 AM

Whatever the answer is you can bet it's more simple than complex. People got by back in the day with what they could imagine to use.

About the only material that was as good or better back then was the wood itself.

JC

It's not what you don't know that get's you in trouble
It's what you know that just ain't so

Old
  (#36)
rhinobywilhite
AzB Silver Member
rhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond repute

06-07-2019, 12:05 PM

Speaking of the wedding bands, has anyone figured those out, either?

Old
  (#37)
WildWing
AzB Silver Member
WildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond repute

06-10-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvirginiaguy View Post
My vote would be for a colored metal foil wrapping of some kind.
I'm with you on this one. I've long thought it was a piece of glittery crepe paper, which could be had in any color or color combination you wanted from a hobby store. This was back in the day when kids did art projects with crepe paper.

Ideologist mentioned that the material seemed too thick when Bill Stroud mentioned a candy wrapper. Whether crepe paper, which is my theory, or candy wrappers, that can easily be explained by George cementing a few layers together to make them rugged enough, and enough thickness to put into a groove.

All the best,
WW

Old
  (#38)
skins
Likes to draw
skins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond repute

06-10-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWing View Post
I'm with you on this one. I've long thought it was a piece of glittery crepe paper, which could be had in any color or color combination you wanted from a hobby store. This was back in the day when kids did art projects with crepe paper.

Ideologist mentioned that the material seemed too thick when Bill Stroud mentioned a candy wrapper. Whether crepe paper, which is my theory, or candy wrappers, that can easily be explained by George cementing a few layers together to make them rugged enough, and enough thickness to put into a groove.

All the best,
WW
It's more like a thick plastic strap found on womens shoes though the material did come in wider strips. Maybe George cut the width to size and maybe it came in different widths. The gold, or combo red/green (depending on how the light hit it) material is under a thicker layer of clear plastic. If it was some sort of candy wrapper it would have had to have had clear plastic poured over it or similar process to make it what it is.

I've heard someone who worked in the manufacturing industry back then was shown this material and knew the process it took to produce. They knew the machines that would have made it but said that those machines were scraped long ago. They couldnt confirm what the material was used for though.

The mystery continues....

Old
  (#39)
LGSM3
Jake<built cues for fun
LGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-11-2019, 11:23 AM

It is grosgrain ribbon.....period, end of story. I've obtained miles (multiple rolls) of gold grosgrain from multiple suppliers. I've applied some of that ribbon to blanks and finished over it. Its definitely the same thing however his was gold with a bit of other iridescence that i've not been able to find.

Old
  (#40)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

06-11-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGSM3 View Post
It is grosgrain ribbon.....period, end of story. I've obtained miles (multiple rolls) of gold grosgrain from multiple suppliers. I've applied some of that ribbon to blanks and finished over it. Its definitely the same thing however his was gold with a bit of other iridescence that i've not been able to find.
Stuff like this?

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#41)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

06-11-2019, 11:43 AM

Such ribbon is used in and on fancy candy wrappers and candy boxes. So GB very well could have gotten it just as Bill Stroud said.

It can also be fairly thick and in a picture look like a plastic ring of some sort.

I dunno. Just reading and watching.

My wife has some of this stuff around for her crafts so when you mentioned it I knew what it was.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#42)
skins
Likes to draw

06-11-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGSM3 View Post
Jake, So you're saying you think the material George used was made of cloth? That's what grosgrain is so... Have you seen the original material? There is no visible cloth thread. It's solid, like a foil of some sort, then covered in a layer of flexible plastic and cloth backed.

Old
  (#43)
flyvirginiaguy
Classic Cue Lover
flyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600
  Send a message via Yahoo to flyvirginiaguy  
06-11-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
Stuff like this?
Those ribbons have a fabric texture, which the stuff in the photos of George's cues don't seem to have. I have not really seen ribbon that can put out that kind of metallic sheen unless it was made from something like polyester. Colored foils, coatings also give off a metallic like that of his cues. The fabric types of metallic ribbons are dull in comparison.

"George was a genuine craftsman who excelled in the "state of the art" of making cues"
Gus Szamboti

Old
  (#44)
Snooker Theory
AzB Silver Member
Snooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond repute

06-11-2019, 02:22 PM

This stuff lgsm3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
Jesus never existed. It is the longest running practical joke the Jews or anybody else has ever pulled.

Old
  (#45)
skins
Likes to draw

06-11-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooker Theory View Post

This stuff lgsm3?
The real stuff is more precise and smooth in it's peaks and valleys. It's kind of like gear teeth similar to the bottom gear in this pic laid out flat. It's not a cloth of any type IMHO.
Attached Images

Page 3 of 4 123 4

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: