Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page OB Classic Plus Ferrule
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
OB Classic Plus Ferrule
Old
  (#1)
Rod
AzB Silver Member
Rod has a reputation beyond reputeRod has a reputation beyond reputeRod has a reputation beyond reputeRod has a reputation beyond reputeRod has a reputation beyond reputeRod has a reputation beyond reputeRod has a reputation beyond reputeRod has a reputation beyond reputeRod has a reputation beyond reputeRod has a reputation beyond reputeRod has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

OB Classic Plus Ferrule - 06-22-2015, 11:39 AM

I just purchased a new OB Classic Plus that was taken down to 12.5 mm. I noticed the ferrule always looks somewhat dirty. On closer inspection I see the linen pattern is slightly raised so it does not polish off clean. It shows any dirt and especially chalk.

Do other classic plus owners have this problem? I have to assume it exists on other ferrules as well. To what extent would be how much linen fiber is exposed. I lean towards this being a design flaw or possibly a mfg flaw.

Would like some feed back from other owners. Have not discussed with OB yet but I imagine they will notice this thread. BTW the ferrule is polished, it appears the problem is unavoidable.

Will attach a pic if I can reduce it to an acceptable size.
Attached Images

be smooth; better control, more power, with less effort.

Old
  (#2)
oldplayer
AzB Silver Member
oldplayer has a reputation beyond reputeoldplayer has a reputation beyond reputeoldplayer has a reputation beyond reputeoldplayer has a reputation beyond reputeoldplayer has a reputation beyond reputeoldplayer has a reputation beyond reputeoldplayer has a reputation beyond reputeoldplayer has a reputation beyond reputeoldplayer has a reputation beyond reputeoldplayer has a reputation beyond reputeoldplayer has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-22-2015, 11:49 AM

I purchased my classic + about 6 months ago and had not ever really inspected the ferrule....having to use a magnifying glass, I see the linen effect and also what appears to be some hairline cracks, not the length of the ferrule but maybe 1/4......here and there if you know what I mean? I certainly like the shaft more than the 314-2 I have and I changed because of quality concerns of the predator....now what do we do?

Old
  (#3)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

06-22-2015, 11:54 AM

It needs cleaning then sealing with thin super glue.
A few coats. Then re-polish.
It's a common problem with melamine these days .

Shaft
Old
  (#4)
sciarco
AzB Silver Member
sciarco has a reputation beyond reputesciarco has a reputation beyond reputesciarco has a reputation beyond reputesciarco has a reputation beyond reputesciarco has a reputation beyond reputesciarco has a reputation beyond reputesciarco has a reputation beyond reputesciarco has a reputation beyond reputesciarco has a reputation beyond reputesciarco has a reputation beyond reputesciarco has a reputation beyond repute

Shaft - 06-22-2015, 11:56 AM

Last edited by sciarco; 08-10-2015 at 10:05 PM.

Old
  (#5)
Rod
AzB Silver Member
Rod has a reputation beyond reputeRod has a reputation beyond reputeRod has a reputation beyond reputeRod has a reputation beyond reputeRod has a reputation beyond reputeRod has a reputation beyond reputeRod has a reputation beyond reputeRod has a reputation beyond reputeRod has a reputation beyond reputeRod has a reputation beyond reputeRod has a reputation beyond repute

06-22-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
It needs cleaning then sealing with thin super glue.
A few coats. Then re-polish.
It's a common problem with melamine these days .
It won't clean up, its a poor design. It appears the linen is always exposed so polishing never gets rid of the dirt, chalk, whatever. Coating with super glue is a road I choose not to travel. If everyone tried that I think there would be new, other or more problems.

I understand the concept but I think the linen should be below the melamine or a similar concept. I suppose it would have to be manufactured for this type of use.

be smooth; better control, more power, with less effort.

Old
  (#6)
pooln8r
AzB Silver Member
pooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond reputepooln8r has a reputation beyond repute

06-22-2015, 12:30 PM

Hopefully one of the OB guys will see this thread and respond. I'm considering picking one of these up as I tried one and it hit great but I didn't really look over the ferrule carefully.

Does anyone know if it's possible that what is seen in that pic is due to taking the ferrule down to 12.5mm from the factory 12.75mm and not completely sealing it again?

To the OP...Was the ferrule like this in it's original size that is if you got to try it before it was taken down? Didn't know if this was customized before use.

BTW..the cleaning and sealing with thin CA works awesome. I've had some really messed up melamine on my cues that looked amazing after that and stayed that way after being coated.

Good shooting to you,

Kevin

Old
  (#7)
Barnabus McDoug
AzB Silver Member
Barnabus McDoug has a reputation beyond reputeBarnabus McDoug has a reputation beyond reputeBarnabus McDoug has a reputation beyond reputeBarnabus McDoug has a reputation beyond reputeBarnabus McDoug has a reputation beyond reputeBarnabus McDoug has a reputation beyond reputeBarnabus McDoug has a reputation beyond reputeBarnabus McDoug has a reputation beyond reputeBarnabus McDoug has a reputation beyond reputeBarnabus McDoug has a reputation beyond reputeBarnabus McDoug has a reputation beyond repute

06-22-2015, 12:31 PM

I asked for cleaning advise on the Classic + ferrule a few months back and got no replies.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=394494

My ferrule looked the same as yours, always dirty and no cleaning fixed it. Oddly enough, my ferrule developed a defect where it appeared a layer of material peeled off. I sent the shaft in for repair and the new ferrule they installed has remained perfectly white.

Old
  (#8)
The Captain
AzB Silver Member
The Captain has a reputation beyond reputeThe Captain has a reputation beyond reputeThe Captain has a reputation beyond reputeThe Captain has a reputation beyond reputeThe Captain has a reputation beyond reputeThe Captain has a reputation beyond reputeThe Captain has a reputation beyond reputeThe Captain has a reputation beyond reputeThe Captain has a reputation beyond reputeThe Captain has a reputation beyond reputeThe Captain has a reputation beyond repute

06-22-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
It won't clean up, its a poor design. It appears the linen is always exposed so polishing never gets rid of the dirt, chalk, whatever. Coating with super glue is a road I choose not to travel. If everyone tried that I think there would be new, other or more problems.

I understand the concept but I think the linen should be below the melamine or a similar concept. I suppose it would have to be manufactured for this type of use.
The linen WAS below the surface until you resized it, thus revealing the linen ends. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about it other than having a good reputable cue repair person change the ferrule for you.

Player: Schon STL7 / 314*2 shaft
Back up: James White
Break / jump: McDermott Stinger
On order: Dzuricky (delivery 1/16), Southwest (delivery 2017)

Old
  (#9)
RBC
Deceased
RBC has a reputation beyond reputeRBC has a reputation beyond reputeRBC has a reputation beyond reputeRBC has a reputation beyond reputeRBC has a reputation beyond reputeRBC has a reputation beyond reputeRBC has a reputation beyond reputeRBC has a reputation beyond reputeRBC has a reputation beyond reputeRBC has a reputation beyond reputeRBC has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-22-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post

Rod,

I'm sorry that you've had an issue. I do see what your concern is, and it can be easily taken care of. I'll send you a PM with how we can get you taken care of.

As for the material, it is a Linen Melamine based material. Linen melamine does have a tendency to show some pitting on the surface from time to time. It's caused by the linen cloth suspended in the melamine resin. The linen cloth is what gives it it's strength.

We choose this material for it's strength, weight, and playing characteristics. There aren't any other materials that give the same advantages as the LBM (linen base melamine). We most certainly do "seal" the surface during the production of the shaft, but possibly it wasn't resealed properly when it was turned down from the original 12.75mm to 12.5mm. Either way, I would be happy to take care of it for you. Look for the PM shortly.

You can always give us a call at our main office number if you have any questions.
972-578-9100

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

Royce Bunnell (RBC) unfortunately passed away on November 26th 2015. He is dearly missed by the OB family.

Please direct any questions you may have regarding OB products to sales@obcues.com via email or call 877-399-9901.

Thank you.

www.obcues.com

Last edited by RBC; 06-22-2015 at 12:44 PM.

Old
  (#10)
ElCorazonFrio
Banned
ElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond repute

06-22-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBC View Post
Rod,

I'm sorry that you've had an issue. I do see what your concern is, and it can be easily taken care of. I'll send you a PM with how we can get you taken care of.

As for the material, it is a Linen Melamine based material. Linen melamine does have a tendency to show some pitting on the surface from time to time. It's caused by the linen cloth suspended in the melamine resin. The linen cloth is what gives it it's strength.

We choose this material for it's strength, weight, and playing characteristics. There aren't any other materials that give the same advantages as the LBM (linen base melamine). We most certainly do "seal" the surface during the production of the shaft, but possibly it wasn't resealed properly when it was turned down from the original 12.75mm to 12.5mm. Either way, I would be happy to take care of it for you. Look for the PM shortly.

You can always give us a call at our main office number if you have any questions.
972-578-9100

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com
Classy move, Mr. Bunnell.

His post said it happened after having the shaft turned down, so it wouldn't point to OB having any quality control issues.

Old
  (#11)
pocket
AzB Silver Member
pocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond repute

06-22-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCorazonFrio View Post
Classy move, Mr. Bunnell.

His post said it happened after having the shaft turned down, so it wouldn't point to OB having any quality control issues.
I would think if they are offering a fix, and from reading Royce's post, that OB was the one who turned it down for the OP.

Old
  (#12)
j_zippel
Big Tuna
j_zippel has a reputation beyond reputej_zippel has a reputation beyond reputej_zippel has a reputation beyond reputej_zippel has a reputation beyond reputej_zippel has a reputation beyond reputej_zippel has a reputation beyond reputej_zippel has a reputation beyond reputej_zippel has a reputation beyond reputej_zippel has a reputation beyond reputej_zippel has a reputation beyond reputej_zippel has a reputation beyond repute

06-22-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldplayer View Post
I purchased my classic + about 6 months ago and had not ever really inspected the ferrule....having to use a magnifying glass, I see the linen effect and also what appears to be some hairline cracks, not the length of the ferrule but maybe 1/4......here and there if you know what I mean? I certainly like the shaft more than the 314-2 I have and I changed because of quality concerns of the predator....now what do we do?

Hmmmm.. Oh i remember, Mezz!

One. Two. Barbeque

Old
  (#13)
j_zippel
Big Tuna
j_zippel has a reputation beyond reputej_zippel has a reputation beyond reputej_zippel has a reputation beyond reputej_zippel has a reputation beyond reputej_zippel has a reputation beyond reputej_zippel has a reputation beyond reputej_zippel has a reputation beyond reputej_zippel has a reputation beyond reputej_zippel has a reputation beyond reputej_zippel has a reputation beyond reputej_zippel has a reputation beyond repute

06-22-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBC View Post
Rod,

972-578-9100

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

Royce your a class act. Seeing you reply to posts like this with a positive attitude without a doubt makes me feel comfortable buying your product. I've never played with an OB but I have purchased one. It ended up being a present for a friend. In the very short future I'm going to put testing an OB on my short list and see how it plays

One. Two. Barbeque

Old
  (#14)
ElCorazonFrio
Banned
ElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond repute

06-22-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocket View Post
I would think if they are offering a fix, and from reading Royce's post, that OB was the one who turned it down for the OP.
You could be right, don't know why I didn't get that.

Old
  (#15)
9Ballr
AzB Silver Member
9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute9Ballr has a reputation beyond repute

06-22-2015, 02:31 PM

I don't understand what the deal is.
The ferrule is a little dirty??????
That's what this post is about?
I have many many pool cues each and every one of them had a dirty ferrule....less of course I don't use them.
I also have a new OB + Classic that has some chalk on its ferrule.....but so what?
It has no effect on my game.
These things are supposed to be used.

Here's my OB + Classic......and I'm NOT even a LD guy.

----------------------
Shall NOT be infringed. OK?

Last edited by 9Ballr; 06-22-2015 at 02:45 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: