Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Ask The Cuemaker
Reload this Page Brite-Tone: new waterborne finish
Page 2 of 7 12 34 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Canadian cue
AzB Silver Member
Canadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-21-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CrystaLac C View Post
The Company been around for over 35 years. Brite Tone around 20 years. We have customers from Martin and Rockbridge Guitars to bowl turners and cabinet makes.
Glad to be in the group!!!https://www.facebook.com/beckerlabs/...type=3&theater
Could you explain how you would approach sealing and finishing a cue that has Wood, plastics and metal in it's construction.
Thanks

Easy Peasy
Old
  (#17)
The CrystaLac C
AzB Gold Member
The CrystaLac C has a reputation beyond reputeThe CrystaLac C has a reputation beyond reputeThe CrystaLac C has a reputation beyond reputeThe CrystaLac C has a reputation beyond reputeThe CrystaLac C has a reputation beyond reputeThe CrystaLac C has a reputation beyond reputeThe CrystaLac C has a reputation beyond reputeThe CrystaLac C has a reputation beyond reputeThe CrystaLac C has a reputation beyond reputeThe CrystaLac C has a reputation beyond reputeThe CrystaLac C has a reputation beyond repute

Easy Peasy - 03-21-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian cue View Post
Could you explain how you would approach sealing and finishing a cue that has Wood, plastics and metal in it's construction.
Thanks
No problem. I would if using all 3 products ( Sanding Sealer, Grain Filler, Brite Tone) first apply sanding sealer and Clear wood Grain Filler to the wood portions of the project only. No need sealing or grain and pour filling on plastic and metal. Brite Tone works great on plastic, metal, glass, gems and stones. Couple of things to remember. If applying over oil or solvent based products be sure they are dry AND gassed off. If you can smell the product you have applied it is not ready for a top coat. Make sure there are no silicone or wax on the cue. Our product is a mechanical bond. They do not melt or burn into the underlying surface. Just apply thin even coats. No need to try to build a heavy coat. It is such high solids it will build on it's own. Minimum of 3 coats. I do 5 minimum on everything. Brite tone is on everything from bowls to dolls. LOL! Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/beckerlabs/
Name:  Bowl050.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  214.5 KB
Name:  rb3.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  16.1 KB
Attached Images

Last edited by The CrystaLac C; 03-21-2018 at 04:12 PM. Reason: add fb page

Old
  (#18)
Canadian cue
AzB Silver Member
Canadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond repute

03-21-2018, 04:07 PM

What is your recommended prep for metallic surfaces? What is the finest grit of paper you could use and still be confident in having good adhesion? Thanks again

Prep
Old
  (#19)
The CrystaLac C
AzB Gold Member
The CrystaLac C has a reputation beyond reputeThe CrystaLac C has a reputation beyond reputeThe CrystaLac C has a reputation beyond reputeThe CrystaLac C has a reputation beyond reputeThe CrystaLac C has a reputation beyond reputeThe CrystaLac C has a reputation beyond reputeThe CrystaLac C has a reputation beyond reputeThe CrystaLac C has a reputation beyond reputeThe CrystaLac C has a reputation beyond reputeThe CrystaLac C has a reputation beyond reputeThe CrystaLac C has a reputation beyond repute

Prep - 03-21-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian cue View Post
What is your recommended prep for metallic surfaces? What is the finest grit of paper you could use and still be confident in having good adhesion? Thanks again
Just make sure they are free of any contamination. We have Brite Tone on glass, and static vinyl decals. As long as you are free of oil, silicone, or wax you should have no problems with adhesion. I always advise do a couple of sample boards to get the feel of the products.

Old
  (#20)
Canadian cue
AzB Silver Member

03-22-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Just make sure they are free of any contamination. We have Brite Tone on glass, and static vinyl decals. As long as you are free of oil, silicone, or wax you should have no problems with adhesion. I always advise do a couple of sample boards to get the feel of the products.
Thank you for answering my questions

Old
  (#21)
GBCues
Damn, still .002 TIR!
GBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-22-2018, 11:29 AM

I ordered the "test kit" yesterday and look forward to trying it out.

Player - GBCues 18oz BEM Front, Leather Wrap, and Black Walnut Buttcap Player. OB-2 Shaft
BreakStick - GBCues 17oz Marblewood Front, Leather Wrap, Mahogany Butt Cap (Black Walnut Shaft)

Old
  (#22)
str8eight
AzB Silver Member
str8eight has a reputation beyond reputestr8eight has a reputation beyond reputestr8eight has a reputation beyond reputestr8eight has a reputation beyond reputestr8eight has a reputation beyond reputestr8eight has a reputation beyond reputestr8eight has a reputation beyond reputestr8eight has a reputation beyond reputestr8eight has a reputation beyond reputestr8eight has a reputation beyond reputestr8eight has a reputation beyond repute

03-22-2018, 11:30 AM

I didn't even see that option lol. I bought 8oz of the three.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

kit
Old
  (#23)
The CrystaLac C
AzB Gold Member

kit - 03-22-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8eight View Post
I didn't even see that option lol. I bought 8oz of the three.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
If you go to www.thecrystalacstore.com, click on the Brite Tone, then hit the drop down on size selection. The last option is test kit. I hope this helps. I have had a few other people ask about that. I will get with the guy and see if we can do something different. Sorry about that.

Old
  (#24)
whammo57
Kim Walker
whammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond repute

03-22-2018, 01:07 PM

put a big spot of this finish on a white piece of paper......... let it cure ....... then put the paper on the dash of your car with the windows rolled up .......... let it sit there for a few days in the sun............... all the water based finishes I have ever used turned yellow.............. try it and see..........

Solarez never yellows.......... if you can't put on a Solarez finish .......... you should pay some one else to finish your cues for you................

Kim

Walker Custom Cues

Southern Cue Systems

http://www.facebook.com/groups/366326706736784/

Old
  (#25)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

03-22-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whammo57 View Post
put a big spot of this finish on a white piece of paper......... let it cure ....... then put the paper on the dash of your car with the windows rolled up .......... let it sit there for a few days in the sun............... all the water based finishes I have ever used turned yellow.............. try it and see..........

Solarez never yellows.......... if you can't put on a Solarez finish .......... you should pay some one else to finish your cues for you................

Kim
Oh boy.
Need some popcorn and soda for this.

Brite-Tone: new waterborne finish
Old
  (#26)
Guerra Cues
I build one cue at a time

Guerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond reputeGuerra Cues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 3200
  Send a message via Skype™ to Guerra Cues 
Brite-Tone: new waterborne finish - 03-22-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Kim

Kim,

I got 4 different batches of Solarez and they were all junk. Even the Solarez owner called me, gave me my money back and sent me a new batch that I wonít touch and itís sitting on my shelf.
The thread I started was about a non stinky, environmentally friendly alternative that wonít kill you.
I have finished over 10 Cues with Solarez and invested about $500 bucks, never again! I had to strip down 11 Cues I finished that had Solarez and the finish was contaminated.

Iím not stating that Brite-Tone is the holy grail of finishes but is pretty darn good. If it can take the beating of guitar players, if it does not yellow and if it is clear as water, Iím fine with that.
There has been people using the finish for 20 years, so I think Iím good with that test of times.

Tony
Cel. 385-212-0979

Destroyer Break: Mine
Player: Mine

Follow me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/guerracues/

Last edited by Guerra Cues; 03-22-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Old
  (#27)
The CrystaLac C
AzB Gold Member

03-22-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:

Kim
Good idea for a test. Not sure how good the paper will hold up to a waterborne product. Water usually turns paper to mush. How about putting 4 or 5 coats on glass and do the same test? I am not sure what waterborne products you have tried but none of CrystaLac products will yellow. The biggest problems I have seen with yellowing are from oil or oil notified and solvent based products. Everybody has their favorite and their own way of doing finishing. Give it a try if you want. I think it might change your mind.

Old
  (#28)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

03-22-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Good idea for a test. Not sure how good the paper will hold up to a waterborne product. Water usually turns paper to mush. How about putting 4 or 5 coats on glass and do the same test? I am not sure what waterborne products you have tried but none of CrystaLac products will yellow. The biggest problems I have seen with yellowing are from oil or oil notified and solvent based products. Everybody has their favorite and their own way of doing finishing. Give it a try if you want. I think it might change your mind.
It has UV protection ?

Old
  (#29)
BarenbruggeCues
Unregistered User
BarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond repute

Location: Just past the big Saguaro on the eastern end of the Sonoran Desert right next to the mountain by the dry river bed.

03-22-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:

Kim
So you've done this test with the product being discussed here?

Just as I figured............

Solarez is your baby. Nobody here can compare. We should all just quit building cues and look for something else to do. Why do I torture myself not learning the Kim way of solarez?
Oh ...because I have and it's no good.
Say what you want but for you to try and convince us that you stand 2 feet away from using the solarez product and can't smell it tells me either your sinuses are shot or you're just flat out lying.
Which is it?

Dave

http://barenbruggecues.com/

Use my email please. <<< CLICK HERE

I'm not arguing with you.....I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Old
  (#30)
qbilder
slower than snails
qbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond repute

03-23-2018, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarenbruggeCues View Post
So you've done this test with the product being discussed here?

Just as I figured............

Solarez is your baby. Nobody here can compare. We should all just quit building cues and look for something else to do. Why do I torture myself not learning the Kim way of solarez?
Oh ...because I have and it's no good.
Say what you want but for you to try and convince us that you stand 2 feet away from using the solarez product and can't smell it tells me either your sinuses are shot or you're just flat out lying.
Which is it?
What he ^ said. It's a good idea to give an honest effort to something before you begin shooting it down. I tried Solarez & found much to be desired, not to mention the fumes that permeate everything. Of all the finishes I have tried on cues, it ranked just above aerosol can clear. If you don't want to try the finish being touted here, don't. But don't immediately begin comparing it to yours, either, if you haven't actually used both.

I don't check PM's, please email me instead: sugartreecue@gmail.com

Page 2 of 7 12 34 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: