Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page pool's greatest might-have-beens
Page 3 of 6 123 45 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
Paul Schofield
AzB Gold Member
Paul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-18-2019, 11:35 AM

Mark Beilfuss from Grand Rapids Michigan quit in the 70s as a teenager.

Shoot what you break.

Larry Hubbart was 87.5% right.

Old
  (#32)
gunzby
My light saber is LD
gunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 17375

06-18-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
Tony Watson gave Johnny B, a player who also had a substance abuse issue, the seven in nine ball at Chelsea Billiards in New York in 1996 on a silly tight table. They played for $100 a rack and for the first hour or two, the game was even. But, shortly thereafter, Tony broke and ran nine in a row. The regulars at Chelsea Billiards, among whom I was not counted, told me that they'd have thought a nine pack on that table (for the few who'd remember, it was table 35, the tightest one on the lower level) to be virtually impossible. Johnny B quit him. It was some of the finest shooting I had ever seen.
Tony was in the finals in the weekly tournament here (crazy right). He was an 11 and was playing a 2. He offered to split because he won last week and if you won two weeks in a row you couldn't play the next week. The 2 refused saying they only needed two games to his 11. The 2 won the first game and Tony offered again and the 2 refused. Tony won the next game and offered again, saying this is your last chance. Of course they refused. Tony ran the rest of the match

Yes my custom cue also doubles as a light saber. You might say that it shoots lights out. You are now activated Agent 92395. Obtain the funds from Goldman Sachs and deposit into my Swiss account. This message will make you shit your pants in 5 seconds. Sev found it first.

Old
  (#33)
gunzby
My light saber is LD
gunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 17375

06-18-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribdoner View Post
Louie Roberts
Tony Watson

They couldn't overcome similar demons. i traveled to Charlotte a lot in the 80's/90's, first met Tony when he was about 12, looked like he was 10 and played very good. Nice kid, hope he's got it together.

Louie was a rock star, had it all. Monster at 2 shot foul 9B. Would roll out to thin cut along the short rail and if the shot was passed back would pocket the ball most of the time. A shadow of his former self when he passed or was killed in the early 90's.

My old road dog, Bill Blake, could have been a contender but also fell prey to the demon.
Tony is the first person that came to mind for me as well

Yes my custom cue also doubles as a light saber. You might say that it shoots lights out. You are now activated Agent 92395. Obtain the funds from Goldman Sachs and deposit into my Swiss account. This message will make you shit your pants in 5 seconds. Sev found it first.

Old
  (#34)
fan-tum
AzB Silver Member
fan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond repute

06-18-2019, 12:45 PM

A guy I watched as often as I could when I was stationed In the San Francisco bay area in the late 60's was Denny Searcy, imho good enough to hold his own with nearly everyone. Tragically brought down way too soon by illness.
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8

..what..behind the rabbit?

Old
  (#35)
Michael Andros
tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Michael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond repute

06-18-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikdee View Post
Watched him play a number of times at Joe Farhat's Velvet Rail in Lansing Michigan during the late 70s. Could run big packages at 9 ball or run a hundred in straight pool at the drop of a hat. Very solid stance and stroke and babied nothing; he was a treat to watch. I believe his last name was spelled Carella. I still have a photo of him, in full playing stance ready to fire, in a copy of the then National Billiard News that accompanied a terse obituary.
One of the best players I ever saw and I've seen TONS. Saw him countless times, even gambled with him once ( staking not playing ) for 2 days and broke even, fortunately. He was *phenomenal*.

Player: Ariel Carmeli Titleist Balaushka Tribute
Player: Sideways JossWest
Player: Dave Brainard Titlist conversion
Player: Tad model Tad-4-P
Player: Meucci QB-12
Player: Joss 10-08
Case: Fellini 1x2
Case: Katana 2x4

"Nobody in the world is going to do anything but sit and watch... while you run out."

~ Tony Proestos ~

"If they don't make you post, bet high!"

~ Fat Randy ~

"The secret to winning one pocket? Run more 8 and outs."

~ Ronnie Allen ~

Old
  (#36)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

06-18-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Id second the mention of Mark Tadd.. so much
natural talent. Nobody wanted any of him when
he was at his peak. Quit playing way too soon..
just seemed to lose interest, like it was too easy?

$.02
I saw him a few years ago on a live stream and I thought he said he was considering a comeback. Watched him practice on the stream for a while and I didn't see him miss a shot.

Regardless of how good he was or could have been I wouldn't say he made a bad decision given the lack of cash in pool.

Old
  (#37)
rikdee
AzB Silver Member
rikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond repute

06-19-2019, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Schofield View Post
Mark Beilfuss from Grand Rapids Michigan quit in the 70s as a teenager.
Yes, watched him play many times at the Velvet Rail. A 14.1 player of incredible skill at just 16 years old. One tournament weekend I saw him beat both Joe Balsis and Irving Crane as if he was at the practice table. Both were beyond their prime but still.... Mark ran 90+ and out on one of them. He played with steely determination and total focus; amazing to watch. Then, as Paul noted, he simply quit.

Old
  (#38)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-19-2019, 06:47 AM

Along with everyone else's thoughts, I'll add George Breedlove. The guy worked more than a full-time job, and once in a while he'd play a major tournament and go deep. Phenomenal talent that, IMO, would have been a multi-major tournament winner if his focus was on pool. Instead, his focus was on his business and of course Jeanette.

Freddie <~~~ would focus on that, too

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#39)
Nostroke
AzB Silver Member

Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 10475
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
06-19-2019, 06:56 AM

Keith Thompson 1970 Johnston City All Round Champ-think he was 19 or so.

Dan Gartner
Old
  (#40)
Type79
AzB Gold Member
Type79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Dan Gartner - 06-19-2019, 07:46 AM

I'll add Dan Gartner known to some as the Young Greenleaf who was the 14:1 New Jersey State Champion in 1964 and 1965. Dan was always a contender but usually placed 2nd or 3rd in the big championships.

From another AZ thread:
Jay Helfert
"Danny's favorite gaff was to bet he could run 50 balls in half an hour. So, if he broke and ran 30 or 40 and missed he had to start over. I never saw him lose that bet."

From another AZ thread:
poolhallbanger
"Dan Gartner was the real deal. He could play with the best of them and did. I remember watching him play ring games at the old Golden Cue on Queens blvd in
NY. But there is one unfortunate memory(for Danny not me) when he played in the
1967 World 14.1 tourney held at the Statler hotel in NY. The matches were to 150
points and Danny won the lag and his opponent broke and left a very tough long shot
to the corner pocket. Danny jumped up and fired it in and proceeded to run 149 balls
only to catch a stroke of bad luck forcing him into a safety battle needing only 1 ball.
Unfortunately, Danny lost the safety battle and unbelievably his opponent proceeded
to run 150 and out on him. His opponent was Jean Balukis's dad's partner the very
talented and methodical Frank McGown."

Jay Fishbein
On Facebook:
Palmer Cues - Original By Palmer
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1412351735677519/

Old
  (#41)
Runner
AzB Silver Member
Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond repute

06-19-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstl View Post
I saw him a few years ago on a live stream and I thought he said he was considering a comeback. Watched him practice on the stream for a while and I didn't see him miss a shot.

Regardless of how good he was or could have been I wouldn't say he made a bad decision given the lack of cash in pool.
Tadd's peak was the late 80's, early 90's.. there was way more money in pool
at that time.. he won at Jay's L.A. Open, winning the Banks and the 9 Ball,
taking second in the 1P, which I believe went Hill-Hill down to the last ball,
with Steve Cook winning.

Tadd was super strong... Efren wouldn't give him any weight. I remember
seeing him at Hard Times, by himself, just practicing 9 ball breaks for an hour,
then straight-back 1P banks.. hitting the center of the pocket.

Pretty sure he found God and quit gambling and pool.

what about vernon eliot
Old
  (#42)
KICKMAN
AzB Bronze Member
KICKMAN has a reputation beyond reputeKICKMAN has a reputation beyond reputeKICKMAN has a reputation beyond reputeKICKMAN has a reputation beyond reputeKICKMAN has a reputation beyond reputeKICKMAN has a reputation beyond reputeKICKMAN has a reputation beyond reputeKICKMAN has a reputation beyond reputeKICKMAN has a reputation beyond reputeKICKMAN has a reputation beyond reputeKICKMAN has a reputation beyond repute

what about vernon eliot - 06-19-2019, 09:41 AM

nobody has mentioned Vernon eliot. beat or played even many other greats, and had
phenomenal proposition shots like his impossible cross side bank.

Old
  (#43)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

06-19-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
Yeah, I got to know Michael back then when I attended some PBT events. Sad story all around. That match with Walden sounds like it was one for the ages.
I guess i misspelled it. Here's his FB info if you wanna contact him: https://www.facebook.com/mcoltrain75

Old
  (#44)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

06-19-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerman View Post
Along with everyone else's thoughts, I'll add George Breedlove. The guy worked more than a full-time job, and once in a while he'd play a major tournament and go deep. Phenomenal talent that, IMO, would have been a multi-major tournament winner if his focus was on pool. Instead, his focus was on his business and of course Jeanette.

Freddie <~~~ would focus on that, too
He's playing again and still can really dab it.

Old
  (#45)
alphadog
AzB Silver Member
alphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond repute

06-19-2019, 10:12 AM

Little Al Mason. Another talent who got tainted.

A bull without horns is still dangerous.

Law of logical arguement-Anything is possible when you dont know what you are talking about.

Page 3 of 6 123 45 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: